Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Royal Sonesta vs Omni Royal Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/royal-sonesta-vs-omni-royal-orleans-233723/)

Tara Jun 23rd, 2002 03:08 PM

Royal Sonesta vs Omni Royal Orleans

My husband and I are going to New Orleans for the first time in Sept. and are unsure where to stay. We would like a really nice hotel that has the ambiance of New Orleans, but that is also centrally located since we will not have a car. From what I"ve read on this board, we've narrowed our choices down to the Royal Sonesta or the Omni Royal Orleans. Any thoughts on which of these hotels will fit our needs best. I would really like a room with a balcony that overlooks either a courtyard or the quarter. I'm not sure if the Omni has this? Also, have heard things about the Chateau Sonesta so thoughts on that hotel are appreciated also.

Mieke Jun 23rd, 2002 03:50 PM

Hi Tara, I did live in New Orleans for 39 years and did not stay at either hotels, (didn't need to, I had my home there). My choice would be the Royal <BR>Sonesta. It's an excellent hotel, has ambiance, sevice, good food and life music. It feels more like you are in the New Orleans. The location is excellent, right in the hearth of the french quarters. Location of the Chateau Sonesta is not where I would want to be. The Chateau Sonesta is in the old D.H Holmes department store building, (I used to work there) and a little farther removed from the action of the Quartres. It's a nice hotel,it just wouldn't be my choice. Request a balcony room at the Royal Sonesta and I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

Tom Jun 23rd, 2002 04:05 PM

The Omni is a very nice hotel on Royal Street (one street away from Bourbon running parallel). It has a great restaurant, the Rib Room, and a nice pool on the roof with an observation deck to look out over the Quarter. Both of these, however, can be visited without staying at the hotel.<BR>The Royal Sonesta is on Bourbon and os very nice. The only problem here, especially with balcony rooms, is the noise. It's in a heavy traffic area with many, many clubs steps away. And people stay up all night here.<BR>If you can get a balcony overlooking the courtyard and away from Bourbon, that'd probably be my choice.

bennie Jun 24th, 2002 04:31 AM

My husband and I went to NO for the first time in Feb and were trying to decide between those two hotels also. We ended up staying at the Omni Royal Orleans and was very happy with our choice. The Royal Sonesta was too close to Bourbon St noise for our tastes. And the Omni was only a short walk away closer to the River and the cathedral. The room at the Omni was very small but our rate was really reasonable so we still felt like we had gotten our money's worth. A room with a balcony would have been $100 more a night. Service at the Omni was good also. Rooftop pool is worth checking out at twilight for a lovely view of the FQ.