Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Royal Lahaina (Maui) & Kaui Coconut Beach Hotel - Comments on these two hotels?

Royal Lahaina (Maui) & Kaui Coconut Beach Hotel - Comments on these two hotels?

Apr 23rd, 1999, 06:17 AM
Kenang

Royal Lahaina (Maui) & Kaui Coconut Beach Hotel - Comments on these two hotels?

I am planning to go back to Hawaii this September and made reservations at these two places (5 nights each in Maui & Kauai). Has anyone stayed at these places and can you let me know what to expect, and if you recommend it? I was in Hawaii 3 years ago for our honeymoon and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Maui and Kauai. Since we have done the honeymoon thing and now need to budget more but still want to stay in a nice (not necessarily luxurious) place, would you recommend? Any other suggestions? Thanks all!

Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:06 PM
Jon

The Royal Lahaina (Maui) is on Kaanapali Beach, just like the Hyatt where you stayed for your honeymoon. The Royal Lahaina is much older and not nearly as luxurious as the Hyatt, but it is more than adequate and is a good choice to save some money. It's a lot nicer than some dumpy condos a few miles away, that don't even have air conditioning.

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon

Apr 23rd, 1999, 07:12 PM
Kenang

Jon, great website! Thanks for your advice and directing me to your website. I will definitely print it out and bring it along. Will you be creating one for Kauai soon? I am not sure I want to stay at the Royal Lahaina anymore since you wrote that it is very old. Maybe I will splurge on Hyatt Regency, and not eat (ha, ha). Thanks.

Apr 24th, 1999, 12:24 PM
becky

Two hotels that are what you describe (nice, but not luxurious) in Kauai are the Outrigger Kauai on the coast near Lihue, and the Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville. If you can get the Entertainment Book rate, they each have rooms for about $80 per night , before tax( which I recall at about 10%) Feel free to email me if you have more specific questons.

Apr 24th, 1999, 12:33 PM
annmarie

I don't know a lot about the Royal Lahaina, but my Fieldings travel book gives it 2 stars. The rooms are motel like according to this same book, so I guess it depends on what you want. If you have a book store nearby, grab a Fieldings. I like their reviews as they are often more honest. Why don't you head down to the Wailea since you already have been to the Kanapaali area. Wailea is really my preferred place to stay. Look into the Renaissance Wailea and ask for their Entertainment rate. Nice property on a nice beach. The Kea Lani and Four Seasons are even superior properties but the Renaissance is more reasonable. If you want more info on Wailea feel free to email me directly. Stayed there 3 years ago. Annemarie

Apr 24th, 1999, 12:37 PM
annemarie

Sorry, forget to address the Coconut Beach. My book again says that this property has a worn but pleasant look?? In Kauai you want to be on the north shore-Princeville or the south-Poipu. I agree Hanalei is a good place to look into. The scenery here is to die for and much nicer than Poipu. September is still the dry season on the north shore. Coconut Beach I believe is on the east shore and there is really nothing there. Annemarie

Apr 29th, 1999, 09:41 AM
Irene

Kenang, I have been to the Royal Lahaina three times. It's fine. Old doesn't mean decrepit. When I think of old, I think of the old hotels in Boston or New York that have been around for a hundred years. The Royal Lahaina looks like it may have been built in the fifties or sixties. The rooms were clean and sufficiently comfortable. I was willing to stay at a less fancy hotel in order to have an oceanfront room, which I could not afford at the deluxe places such as the Hyatt etc. But if it was dumpy I would have never gone back twice. The beach there is nice and there little or no coral to stop on once you're in the water. I can't compare it to Wailea since I've never been there. There's good snorkeling nearby at Black Rock, a five minute walk.
Enjoy your trip to Hawaii.

Search this Thread