Royal Hawaiian Hotel Closing For Renovations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Hawaiian Hotel is planning to close seven months or more for renovations.

Closing date is scheduled for June 1, 2008.

This will be the first time the "Pink Palace" has been closed since WWII when Navy took over the hotel.

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/394/76/
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM

My parents honeymooned here shortly after it reopened from the war.

Hope they do a nice job!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM

hi lcuy:
Hope they do a nice job too.
My parents also honeymooned /married in Waikiki at the Royal Hawaiian. Small World isn't it!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM

hey baby!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:52 PM

My mother lived at the Royal Hawaiian during WW2--she was in the USO.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:21 PM

My wife and I held our wedding reception at the Royal Hawaiian and were given the Governor's Suite for the weekend. It had two bedrooms, dining area and a huge living room with a view of Waikiki Beach. There was a second bathroom in the master suite which we found just as we were checking out which we thought was a closet.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished renovations.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Royal Hawaiian Hotel's legendary service is a figment of their imagination. When the hotel announced that it was closing, it caught the union and employees by surprise.

Not only were they surprised, but the hotel did not even tell people who were planning their weddings that there was a high probability of closure, but in the case that I am aware of, took their money, made promises they couldn't keep, didn't disclose any contruction plans that ruined their over year out wedding plans to a trusting bride-to-be.

Legendary service? Go elsewhere where you honesty is their policy.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Royal Hawaiian Hotel's legendary service is a figment of their imagination. When the hotel announced that it was closing, it caught the union and employees by surprise.

Not only were they surprised, but the hotel did not even tell people who were planning their weddings that there was a high probability of closure, but in the case that I am aware of, took their money, made promises they couldn't keep, didn't disclose any contruction plans that ruined their over year out wedding plans to a trusting bride-to-be.

Legendary service? Go elsewhere where honesty is their policy.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM

tidbits-Obviously you have a problem with the Royal Hawaiian Hotel which may be legitimate. However, it looks like you registered here on Fodors in the past few days just to comment on this hotel. I think posters on Fodors will find you more credible if you can offer more helpful advice about visiting Oahu.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

tidbits

Sheraton announced six months ago that they were planning to refurbish four of their hotels in Waikiki including Royal Hawaiian.

They announced in late September that they were shutting down the Royal Hawaiian for 6 months or more. Shut down won't be until June of 2008.

I do agree that employees & perhaps management thought that the hotel would stay open during construction. But, someone above made a decision to close based on things we don't know.

If I was looking for a place to stay, I don't think I would be looking hard at a place that will be under construction during my stay.

So perhaps closing during construction is the best option.

That is 9 months notice to anyone involved with the closing including hotel workers & guests. Many places give a 1-2 month notice & sometimes less than that.

Royal Hawaiian is working to transfer their employees to other Sheraton hotels.

As far as the wedding case that you mention, I am sure that Royal Hawaiian or any other people involved will make any changes necessary or refund any $$ to the party. The wedding is obviously at least 9 months away. Give the people a chance to make good.