Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Roxy goes to the Big Island! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/roxy-goes-to-the-big-island-487276/)

turn_it_on Nov 22nd, 2004 11:31 AM

Roxy goes to the Big Island!

<b>ROXY GOES TO THE BIG ISLAND AND DOESN'T VISIT THE VOLCANO!</b>

I went to the Big Island, all by my lonesome, September 22-27, 2004. I flew <b>Aloha Air</b> again, from Burbank CA, once again assaulted by the queer vegetarian cuisine (a bed of dry spaghetti with a folded veggie burger filled with salsa/sauce? and flanked by three-odd asparagus??) but this time luxuriated in a row all to myself. Flying goes by SO much faster if you can lie all the way down. And I like the milk and cookies before landing, what can I say?

Now, sit back and enjoy another of my patented trip reports, action packed with details and commentary. I've divided it into sections and have included a section at the end with random thoughts and bits of info. I used the guidebook <b>Big Island Revealed</b>, referred to as BIR. Important points are in <b>bold</b>. Less important points are also in bold. Let me know if you have any questions, as long as &quot;Why did you go all that way and not visit the volcano?&quot; is not one of them.

<b>Hotels
Snorkeling
Hikes/Activities
Beaches
Restaurants
Miscellani</b>

turn_it_on Nov 22nd, 2004 11:34 AM

You know what, forget this, the site's being weird, it's not posting correctly now, so I will repost later with every section in one thread together. Sorry dudes.

love
roxy

GoTravel Nov 22nd, 2004 11:36 AM

roxy, your post is up.

JohnD Nov 22nd, 2004 12:24 PM

<font color="blue"><u>bring it on</u></font> <b>Roxy!!!</b>

FainaAgain Nov 22nd, 2004 12:55 PM

My reply to another post did not move it up to the top, what's going on here?

turn_it_on Nov 22nd, 2004 01:56 PM

<b>HOTELS</b>

<b>Hawaiian Naniloa Hotel Hilo</b>

Stayed at the Hawaiian Naniloa Hotel in Hilo on Banyan Drive, on the waterfront. The grounds and buildings were quite nice but the room was clunky and aged. Not aged like a fine wine, neither. More like <b>the mold in the picture frame</b> over the nightstand. It was just an old hotel room, not awful, but I felt like I was in the lap of luxury when I moved to the Keauhou Beach Resort, which was awesome but downmarket compared to the later Mauna Kea. I reserved the Naniloa's cheapest room through their website ($80 with fees) but ended up having a pretty good partial view of the ocean from the balcony. There are two pools, one smaller one that sits right on the pretty shoreline (closed when I wanted it) and a second, quite large pool with a cute rock waterfall. Which had a ladies' water aerobics class being conducted in it when I was there. I like big butts and I cannot lie. Oh, mercy. The desk staff was a little surly upon checkin. I called to ask for a hairdryer and was told I could check one out for an hour, but the guy who (promptly) brought it up let me keep it overnight. You're not really going to feel like you're on your Hawaiian vacation here, but for me it was just a place to rest my head for a night and explore Puna. Everything worked though at least. Oh, and the toilet has one of those industrial-strength black seats and a &quot;kick it with your foot&quot; flush handle, like in public restrooms.

turn_it_on Nov 22nd, 2004 02:00 PM

Okay, I tried again, but it's not letting me post all the sections no matter how many times I try or how short the sections are.

Of course, it's going to post THIS stupid post, but not the trip report sections. I'm going to try again tomorrow with a fresh thread.

love
roxy

Austin Nov 22nd, 2004 04:27 PM

Roxy!!! I sure hope it works soon. It's been waaay too long since you posted one. Your trip reports are THE best, bar none!

vegaslover73 Nov 22nd, 2004 07:38 PM

OMG, PLEASE post more!!! We leave on 12/4 for the BI and need the info! I'm a BI Virgin and I need your advice!!!!!! Help..........., please. TY!

turn_it_on Nov 22nd, 2004 10:16 PM

Okay kids, I finally got up the whole trip report! It's called &quot;Roxy goes to the Big Island (revised)&quot; and can be found here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34542623

Mahalo to all my fans!

love
roxy