Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Routes for trip in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania

Oct 9th, 2000, 10:00 AM
Dan Woodlief

Soon, we will be leaving for a trip to several historic areas, mostly Civil War battlefields. Overnights for at least two nights each in Fredericksburg, VA; Sharpsburg, MD area; and Gettysburg. I am having a hard time deciding on the best routes to take. (1) From NC to Fredericksburg, I will take I-85 and I-95, with which I am very familiar (speed is key to that leg), (2) Fredericksburg to either Harpers Ferry or Sharpsburg - I want to take a fairly direct route once again to maximize time, but I don't know whether routes in the direction of Washington will give me traffic headaches and holdups on a Monday morning - is there a better way or more scenic way that still allows me to make good time?, (3) Sharpsburg to Gettysburg - looks like I will take Hwy 15 unless someone convinces me of another route, (4) Gettysburg to HersheyPark (for my daughter) - given that the park will only be open in the evening when I plan to visit, what are good things to see and do enroute between them?, (5) Gettysburg back to NC - we plan to travel via the Shenandoah Valley and possibly cut over toward central NC around Charlottesville or a little farther north - How is Hwy. 81? - On this leg, I am much more interested in scenery than time, since we will stay overnight somewhere on the return trip.

If you can help me with parts or all of this planning, I would be very grateful.

Oct 9th, 2000, 10:23 AM
GWEN

I think that Rt 15 is the best one especially since you are already west of DC. I live in Southeastern PA and when we travel to Virginia we take 15.
As far as what to see between Gettysburg and Hershey, I can't think of anything. But there are things to do in Gettysburg besides the Civil War.
If you daughter is pre teen she might enjoy the Land of Little Horses. Also in Hershey there are things to do in addition to the amusement park. There is a zoo adjacent to the park. Chocolate World is free, but I am not sure what the hours are when you are going. Chocolate World is a ride that shows how chocolate is made at Hershey and there are also many gift shoppes. Check out Hershey on the internet at http://www.hersheypa.com/herco_homepage.html

Oct 9th, 2000, 10:23 AM
GWEN

I think that Rt 15 is the best one especially since you are already west of DC. I live in Southeastern PA and when we travel to Virginia we take 15.
As far as what to see between Gettysburg and Hershey, I can't think of anything. But there are things to do in Gettysburg besides the Civil War.
If you daughter is pre teen she might enjoy the Land of Little Horses. Also in Hershey there are things to do in addition to the amusement park. There is a zoo adjacent to the park. Chocolate World is free, but I am not sure what the hours are when you are going. Chocolate World is a ride that shows how chocolate is made at Hershey and there are also many gift shoppes. Check out Hershey on the internet at http://www.hersheypa.com/herco_homepage.html

Oct 9th, 2000, 12:50 PM
ncgirl

Hi Dan.

I don't have suggestions on the battlefield part, but at the end.

I hope you are planning to take the family to Monticello when you are in Charlottesville.

Luray Caverns in Shenandoah Valley is a fun stop.

If you want to continue with a war theme, stop by Stonewall Jackson's home in Lexington.

Highway 29 takes the scenic road from Charlottesville to Greensboro, NC. Virginia tourism is promoting this as "the scenic highway."

Enjoy your trip.

Oct 9th, 2000, 08:17 PM
Joy in Virginia

Tip for most direct rounte in VA to avoid construction: Take 95 North until you get to 295, then take 295 north toward DC. This way you will avoid the delays from bridge repairs on I-95 in downtown Richmond, also downtown commuter traffic, and the spped limit is 65 all the way on this road. You can get back on I-95 north of the city, signs are very easy to follow. Have fun!

Oct 10th, 2000, 06:48 AM
dan woodlief

Thanks for all the tips. Joy, I am leaving on a Saturday morning and should hit Richmond by 10:00 - 11:00. Would I still be better off on 295 at that time?

I am thinking we will use 81 to head south through Virginia on the way back and cut over to the more scenic drive (Skyline Drive) around Lurray Caverns and then head east after reaching Charlottesville.

My main concern now is how to get to Sharpsburg or Harpers Ferry (don't know which we will visit first) from Fredericksburg. Yahoo maps it out as using I-95, the Capital Beltway, and I-270 via Washington, Rockville, Frederick. Is Hwy 17, which meanders through central Virginia, another option, or will I lose a lot of time?

Oct 10th, 2000, 07:40 PM
Joy in VA

Dan, I would still recommend you take 295 because it will be the same time, will only add a few miles, and the road is just newer & in better condition, and has some pretty scenery esp the bridge crossing the James River. I reviewed my directions - from I-85, go south on I-95 for just about 2 miles then 295 begins heading north. RE the beltway - if there is lots of traffic or an accident you will be stuck, but if traffic is flowing smoothly definitely the fastest way. Route 17 around Fredericksburg is very busy & build-up with businesses and can be stop & go, once you are out of town into the country there are fewer lights. I have traveled I-81 many times, just be aware it usually has LOTS of truck traffic. Hope you have fun!