Search

Route ok? CO,WY,SD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Syv

Route ok? CO,WY,SD

Here goes... Let me know primarily if I'm missing anything great along the way or side roads I should take instead of main highways.

I know it may seem quite rushed to some, but I've figured & figured & from past experience, the driving long days will be okay with daylight/or at least by 7:00 a.m. leaving each morning. I think it's the only way I can fit all this in.

June 28 - July 16, 2003.
Saturday - Barrie (Toronto) Ontario (Canada) to Detroit to Hammond Indiana (see friends overnight)

Sunday - Hammond IN to Indianapolis IN (see friends overnight)

Monday
- I70 W thru St. Louis to Lee's Summit (Kansas City area) (see friends for supper)
- continue to Junction City (overnight)

Tuesday
- I70 W
- 24 W (or S) to Colorado Springs
- 25 S (or 85/87) to Walsenburg at 10W (overnight)

Wednesday
- 10W to 160 W to 150 N to Great Sand Dunes NP (two hrs max here)
- 150 S to 160 W to Durango
- 550 N to Ouray (overnight)

Thursday
- Switzerland of America allday jeep tour (ends 5:00)
- drive 550 N to Montrose (overnight)

Friday
- 50 E, 347 N to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP (couple hours here)
- 347 S, 50 E, 285 N to Littleton CO (Denver area) (see friends overnight)

Saturday (leave early)
- out of Littleton/Denver to...
- 36 N (or W) into Rocky Mountain NP (overnight)
(if time stop in Golden to see Buffalo Bill grave?)

Sunday
125 N, 230 N (or W) to Riverside
70 W to Encampment (see mining town replica / 2-storey outhouse!)
70 W to Baggs (watch for wild horses!)
789 N, I80 W to Rock Springs (overnight)

Monday
- 191/189 N to Jackson to Grand Teton NP (overnight)

Tuesday
- back to Jackson for mid-day river raft ride
- 22 W to 390 N to Teton Village for 8 p.m. Grand Teton Music Festival classical concert
(overnight in Jackson area)

Wednesday - Yellowstone NP (overnight)

Thursday - Yellowstone NP (overnight)

Friday
- NE park exit - 212 to Red Lodge
- backtrack 212 to
296 S (or E), 120 S to Cody
(see Buffalo Bill Historical Center)

120 N (72 N)
310 N, 90 E
(overnight at Hardin if arrival too late)
to LITTLE BIGHORN / Custer Battlefield NM (its open til 9 pm - will try to see Friday)

Saturday
90 E to Moorcroft, turn 14? toward Carlisle,
- 24 N to Devils Tower NM

24 S, 14 S (or E) to Vore Buffalo Jump (Sundance)

90 E (14), 85 S to Deadwood (see cemetery)

85 or 14A W to Lead
85 E (or N) to 385 S (16)
244 E to Mt Rushmore (open til 10 pm)

244 W to 16/385 S (or W)
to Crazy Horse (open til 9 pm)

385 S (or W) to Custer
16A E to "The Roost" campsite (overnight)

Sunday
16A W to Custer - 16W to Jewel Cave (early tour)

16E to Custer, 385 S to Hot Springs to Mammoth Site

385 N to 87 N to Custer State Park

16A E to 79 N to Rapid City
I90 E to 240 S - Badlands NP

loop road back to I90E

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - I90E to Detroit & home into Canada.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:36 AM
travellyn

Syv, this is a very ambitious tour. I have made some really major driving trips, so I can understand where you're coming from. Although I'm sure you can handle the driving, you will probably get frustrated by not being able to spend more time in each area. The scenery is so beautiful that you just have to have time to wander around in it, as well as time to sit quietly and soak it in.

Although I love SW Colorado, I would delete it from the itenerary, and catch it some other time when I could spend a week in this area. By heading straight to Littleton instead of doing the piece beginning with Colorado Springs, you can save an extra 4 days or so to spend at RMNP, Wyoming, and SD.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:59 AM
X Bellman

I tried to drive from South Fork to Durango last summer and the road construction was horrible. Traffic was stopped for 1 hour and 45 minutes at a time....I finally gave up and went back to South Fork....check the road condition before you go to Durango. I think you are in for some headaches.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Syv

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there anywhere online to check road conditions?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Tonia

Dear Syv - in looking at your Sunday itinerary, I would really hesitate to try to do all of that in one day.

You've got:
Jewel Cave - about 1 hour
Jewel Cave to Hot Springs - 1 hour
Mammoth Site - 1 hour
Back to Custer S.P. - 1 hour
I assume you'll drive the Wildlife Loop in Custer S.P.? At least 2 hours as parts are very curvy and difficult to drive quickly- also animals (which are the highlight) will be all around.
Custer S.P. to Rapid City - 1 hour
Rapid City to Badlands N.P. - 45 minutes to an hour
Badlands Loop - at least 1.5 to 2 hours- it too is very windy and slow to drive.

That's a 10 hour day in which you'll feel REALLY rushed. Have you been to many of the Black Hills attractions before, so you're just going for a refresher?

If it were me, I would skip Hot Springs, spend the day at Jewel Cave and Custer S.P. Custer S.P. has much more to do than it may seem at first. Then, I'd drive up to 1-90 and get a hotel, and the next morning on my way home I'd do the Badlands and Wall Drug.

Be sure to leave at least 2 hours for Mt. Rushmore as there is lots to do. Also, if you can swing it so you're there for the evening lighting ceremony (9:00 p.m. in the Summertime) I would highly recommend it.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:34 PM
travellyn

www.cotrip.org

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Connie

I'm not going to admonish you for your itenerary because I too like to see all I can see.

One thing I learned though is that it takes a lot longer to drive from Durango to Ouray than it looks on the map--at least a couple of hours--so give yourself plenty of time. You don't want to drive it in the dark.

You really need more time in Yellowstone if you could shave off some time somewhere else. It is very large and takes a while to get around in.

I'm so glad you are doing the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge. It will the one of the highlights of your trip.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Syv

Thank you for all the suggestions - just what I needed.

Good idea, Tonia, about doing Badlands "the next day" enroute home.

Looking forward to it. Have never been in these three states before.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:12 AM
X Bellman

Syv: What kind of vehicle will you be traveling in? I am just curious because you are taking a very long trip!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:44 AM
buttercup

I'll second Connie that the raod from Durango to Ouray takes longer than it looks on a map (allow a few hours) and add that we found this to be true on many Colorado highways. Because of the curves around the mountains, you will slow down frequently.

I can't think of the name, but we took the highway that goes along the Arkansas river east into Colorado Springs. Although it's marked speed limit 55, every mile or so there were signs warning of curves ahead, speed limit anywhere from 40 down to 15.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:48 AM
travellyn

Syv, if you decide to keep SW Colorado in your itenerary, the day that needs changing is Wednesday, as others have suggested.

I would estimate 6 hours from Colorado Springs to Durango, assuming minimal stops, good weather, and no road work. Even if you only stay 2 hours in the park, the detour to GSD will take 2.5 to 3 hours, since it takes a little time to drive up to the park from the highway.

Durango to Ouray is 2 hours, with the same assumptions as on the previous drive.

That adds up to around 11 hours of driving + GSD. Roadwork will add about an hour. The inevitable hailstorm on a mountain pass will add a little more time. You'll have 4 major passes on this route: Wolf Creek, Coal Bank, Molas, and Red Mountain, which is definitely the hairiest.

You will want a few hours to get out and walk at some of the prettiest places here (usually the passes), also to read the interpretive signs at some of the parking areas.

You don't want to do the drive from Durango to Ouray in the dark, for safety reasons as well as the fact that the scenery along the million dollar highway shouldn't be missed.

It seems to me that GSD should be eliminated and/or you should plan to spend the night near Durango, and drive to Ouray early in the morning. The advantages of spending the night in Durango are that it's cheaper than Ouray, has more places to stay, and you can see the Bar D Wranglers or the melodrama. (I'd recommend the Bar D for anyone watching their budget. For $15 you get a large meal plus an evening of live entertainment.)

Thursday and Friday look good, but on Saturday I'd try to maximize time at RMNP by avoiding the stop in Golden. I'd consider adding a day in RMNP.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Syv

Decided to skip Great Sand Dunes NP. (too much road construction going that way also) to get over to Durango sooner.

Decided to skip Golden.

Hope to have one full day in RMNP (will leave Littleton at daybreak) but yes, I will try to squeeze more time in here because it looks like there is a lot to see/do here.

Great advice, people! Thanks. Will check my atlas & routes tonight with all of your suggestions.

p.s. - my car is a Toyota Corolla. It went from Ontario all over Texas last year and back. It will be its first time trying to chug over mountain roads... we'll see. I take the back seat out so that the front seats will lean back further and we sleep right in the front bucket seats (not too comfortable after a few nights of this in a row).

I've been advised to spend the extra on higher quality gas for these mountainous roads too. Our gas here in Ontario is higher octane than yours even at the low end price range.

I have done similar trips (but not through as high mountains) in small rental Honda Accords, & my 1986 Ford pick-up truck (much better for sleeping in than a car!)

Sylvia