Route from SFO to GGBridge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi....I'm usually pretty good at deciphering maps, but I can't seem to figure out what roads to take from the airport to the GGBridge! 280? 380? 101? 19th Ave?? Is it me? is it my maps? or is it just kinda confusing? We want to get out of the airport and up to Mendocino, but I don't want to spend 2 hours figuring out how to get to the GG bridge. (traffic is uncontrollable....map-reading should be controllable). Thanks in advance for your help, Colette
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM

If you are trying to get straight to the bridge it is probably easiest for you to head our of SFO north (SF direction) and almost immediately take 380 to 280 North. 280 will blend into the city and you will merge left onto 19th ave - then just head on up and stay in the middle or right lane because it will bend to the right after a mile or two - and just stay on to the bridge.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM
dmlove

Just want to emphasize - merge LEFT onto 19th Avenue (280 continues to the right). When you exit on 19th Avenue, way before you have to stay to the right, you have to stay in the middle or left, because you bear left (to the right is Junipero Serra). Then continue straight up 19th Avenue and into Golden Gate Park -- that's where you move over to the right (but actually just keep going straight).

On Googlemaps, type in 19th Avenue, San Francisco, CA and you'll see what I'm talking about. After crossing through Golden Gate Park, you will end up on Park Presidio Blvd., which goes right to the bridge.

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
dmlove

Ignore my parenthetical where I said that you actually keep going straight on 19th Ave. As I said, you have to end up on Park Presidio Blvd.

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
SAB

From SFO take 380W to 280 N--after exit 49A there is a split, 3 lanes on the left feed into 1 (the 3 lanes on the right are 280 towards downtown). If you stay in the far left lane you will end up on 19th Ave. 1 starts through SF as 19th Avenue, after it goes through Golden Gate Park it becomes 14th/Park Presidio, but this is not important, just follow the flow of traffic along 19th through the Park and it will take you to the Bridge.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
maj

I had the same problem looking at maps -- couldn't figure out the 1 -- 19th Avenue (I was looking at 19th Street at one point) -- Park Presidio Blvd thing. I think these same people gave me excellent directions and it was easy to follow once you are there. In addition, there are some signs saying to Golden Gate Bridge along the way.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone.....It will all be cut and pasted! I figured the car rental place out of SFO would have a little map.....but I DO so depend on the details ("stay in the middle or right lane because it will bend") given to me by all my FodorsFriends.....you're the greatest!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM

no, no,no, no!

Stay in the middle or LEFT lane!

Google the map for San Francisco.

You'll see that soon after you exit I-280 onto "Highway 1, 19th Avenue", the road splits into a Y. The LEFT fork is the one you want.

As dmlove has mentioned, the right fork will take you onto Junipero Serra and AWAY from Highway 1.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
maj

I had quite a few maps, but the very best one was the AAA map of the city of San Francisco I got before we left. (on recommendations here). Especially if you have any intention of driving at all through San Francisco on your trip. It's free (if you don't belong to AAA, do you know someone who can get it for you) and would be a big help in case you somehow took a wrong turn.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you easytraveler.....I pasted your remarks and will try to integrate everyone's comments into one big "route thru SF". maj, I think I'll hit AAA on Mon for a SF map.....I've been looking at the small SF map included in my Road Atlas, as well as a couple of CA maps inserted into a couple of my travel books......You're right.....a detailed SF map is probably a very good idea!! Thx again for all the great advice!
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 07:06 AM

You're welcome, Colette!

I know how confusing it can be in a new city. Once, in driving around New York State, I found myself all the way in Connecticut without knowing it!

Here are a few more details which hopefully will make things a bit easier for you:

I assume you will be getting your car at the airport. Ask for directions out of the airport to I-280 going north. Once you are on the access ramp, you'll see "280, 380 San Bruno" That's the way you want to go.

380 is very short, less than two miles long. Stay in the middle right lane. This will take you automatically onto I-280.

Once on I-280, you don't have far to go - about another 6 miles to where you get off the freeway. the first Highway 1 sign you'll see will say "Pacifica", you do NOT way to take this exit as it is SOUTHBOUND. The exit you want is the NORTHBOUND and will say "North 1, 19th Avenue, Golden Gate Bridge" and it will be on your LEFT (the right branch is the continuation of I-280).

Once off the freeway, try and stay in the middle lane all the way up 19th Avenue. The road will curve and there will be lots of stop signs, but just stay in the middle lane and you'll be fine. After about 15-20 minutes of city driving you'll find yourself on the Golden Gate Bridge. The northbound direction is free.

Depending on your time of arrival, you may want to cut over to the coast immediately after you cross over the GG Bridge. The coastal route to Mendocino is awesome in its beauty and diversity but it will take about twice as long as the inland route, especially if you will be stopping here and there to see the view.

Hve a great trip!
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM

I just put "Santa Rosa" into my GPS when south of the city and it takes me right to the bridge......
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

LOL re: the Conn trip, easytraveler....I'm a bit ADD/ADHD and while on I-35 in Iowa, I missed the city of DesMoines....y'know....bright lights, big city....surrounded by farmland....totally missed it...so was quite late in picking up my cousin @ the airport. (before mainstream cellphone usage...so you can imagine the waves of stress I caused everyone Now I'm hijacking my own post, but bobmrg, I don't have a GPS, and have actually enjoyed the process of "finding my own way".....but was wondering how other fellow travelers feel about using a GPS? More positives than negatives? Just curious.