Hi everyone -
We are flying to SFO in mid-August and, after a very brief stop in San Francisco (we have been there many times already) heading to Yosemite for three days. After that, it is back to the coast to Monterey, from which we will head south. (Either coming or going, we want to hit San Jose for the Winchester Mystery House - has long been on my son's list of things to do.)
I am having a hard time figuring out the "best" way to get inland and back. Nothing seems to be quick, nor do any of the routes go through places I have heard much about. We would be interested in seeing ghost towns/gold country if that can be done easily. Stopping at a vineyard could also be an option to break up the trip, but again, nothing is jumping out just looking at the maps.
I am assuming it would be 4 - 5 hours each way assuming we don't stop for sightseeing. If there is one route that is more scenic and one that is faster/easier, we could do a different route from SF than we do returing to Monterey. We plan to stay at the Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite for three nights, but if there is someplace on the way that looks good, we could do that the first night instead.
We are two adults and a 9 year old, seasoned travelers, interested in outdoors, scenery, history, whatever (mainly interested in making this long drive interesting!)
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 [email protected]:844:3O7:279O pASSWORD RESET AOL Tec*h CONTACT24/7r
- 2 Find This Christmas Best Flight Ticket Deals
- 3 Find This Christmas Best Air Travel Deals
- 4 H street corridor restaurant - Christmas Eve
- 5 A Few days in Museums
- 6 Hawaii: Maui and Big Island questions
- 7 Kauai Help! Sheraton Kauai or Westin Princeville
- 8 Family trip - West Coast - Summer 2017
- 9 Los Angeles for Christmas
- 10 First time in the United States
- 11 Christmas Eve near Ashville
- 12 3 days San Francisco
- 13 Vacations in New Orleans
- 14 Hawaii instead of Oaxaca, but where?
- 15 travelling from Miami to New York
- 16 Must-See Louis Vuitton Exhibit Downtown
- 17 Las Vegas TR
- 18 Base Lodging in New Hampshire and Vermont
- 19 natchez accommodation
- 20 NYC NYE on a budget HELP please
- 21 Upscale, Child Friendly NYC Restaurant?
- 22 Road trip from NYC to where ?
- 23 Road Trip - DC to Miami in 2-3 days - need help
- 24 New Orleans Vacation
- 25 natchez trace parkway
Hi everyone -