Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Roundtrip flights to NY for $200?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/roundtrip-flights-to-ny-for-200-a-645913/)

paris221966 Sep 11th, 2006 05:43 PM

Roundtrip flights to NY for $200??

I plan to visit Manhattan in less than 2 weeks and still haven't found a $200 roundtrip ticket that I've been told you can get. I've checked jetblue, expedia, continental, orbitz, travelocity and nothing. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

paris221966 Sep 11th, 2006 05:45 PM

OOPS ~ forgot to mention I'm coming from the west coast.

J62 Sep 11th, 2006 05:55 PM

I fly across the continent every month or two and I've never seen $200RT. Not sure where you got your info from.

Non-stop flights from California to NYC are typically very full as well, so there is no incentive for airlines to lower last min fares.

With less than 2 weeks to go you'll no longer be able to get any 14day advance fares. I'd be surprised if you could find a $300 fare at this late date. As departure gets closer any remaining low fare seats will disappear, so if you are set on going in 2 weeks buy the lowest ticket you can find and enjoy your trip.

ATA connects to LGA through Chicago Midway and has very good rates - nothing under $300 though.

Michael Sep 11th, 2006 07:07 PM

I did get a one way from LaGuardia to SF (US Air) for $256 for two in early October. Going over, I got a $119 flight from OAK to PHL on a Wednesday (Southwest), but the same flight on a Thursday is costing me $180.

MikeT Sep 11th, 2006 07:27 PM

Your other option is to check the airlines for last-minute or .com deals. It's very very risky and you need to be willing to fly into Newark or Islip or Westchester.

paris221966 Sep 11th, 2006 09:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions/advice! I wonder if flight are cheap when you have a lot of frequent flyer miles? Oh well, I'm still going to go and can hardly wait!! So far the lowest flight price I've seen is $315 roundtrip (Continental) to LGA (expedia I think). I do notice that flights on the weekends are a little more expensive than weekdays. I didn't think to check out other airports besides JFK/LGA/Newark. :-)

AAFrequentFlyer Sep 12th, 2006 12:46 AM

West coast could be anywhere, but I just checked www.aa.com and it has $308 fares(all in) from LAX, SFO or SEA to JFK, dep 9/21, ret on 9/25.

starrsville Sep 12th, 2006 12:58 AM

It's really cheap when you use FF miles to get a free tix - but otherwise, no.

Roundtrip to NY for $200 from my east coast location is exceedingly rare. It definitely isn't an "usual" rate.

calitexan Sep 12th, 2006 01:30 AM

Hi Paris,

Check the latest, "hot off the press" (i.e. just arrived in email) Southwest Airlines specials:
$99 each way between West Coast cities (including LA and Oakland) to Islip, New York.

Hope this isn't too late for you-- fares are for September 26 through January 9th. Good luck, and if you decide on this option, HURRY -- SWA's special low price seats are limited.

HowardR Sep 12th, 2006 05:02 AM

Grab that $315 fare. Anytime you you can get a rate like that to one of three major airports in the NYC area from the West Coast, grab it!

DebitNM Sep 12th, 2006 05:09 AM

SWA flies into Islip NY out on Long Island. The traffic into NYC is horrendous during rush hour and is pretty bad during off hours too. It will take you 2 hours to get into midtown Manhattan from Islip during am or pm rush.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Trav Sep 12th, 2006 05:13 AM

Try Priceline's set prices (not the bidding). They have Delta non-stop LAX-JFK for $305. Other options/other cities in the same price range.

GoTravel Sep 12th, 2006 05:36 AM

Jump all over that $315 fare if it is still available.

I rarely see $200 round trip from the east coast.

If you wait much longer, you may end up paying four times that amount.

I would also suggest not flying into Islip. Any money you save you will spend on transportation getting into Manhattan.

AAFrequentFlyer Sep 12th, 2006 05:41 AM

Amazing....

Fodorites suggesting

$315 vs $308 fare?????

GoTravel Sep 12th, 2006 05:51 AM

AAFrequent, I've found the priceline fares do not include fees and taxes until you check out.

If it includes the taxes, the fees are usually tacked on the last frame.

OO Sep 12th, 2006 05:55 AM

LOL AA. What is this world coming too? Next you'll find Priceline bidders willing to spend .75 more than they needed! :D

AAFrequentFlyer Sep 12th, 2006 06:02 AM

I thought I made it pretty clear when I said $308 (ALL IN)!!!!!

gail Sep 12th, 2006 06:34 AM

We are getting closer - just checked itasoftware.com and entered random mid-week dates of 9/20 returning 9/27. Entered airports of LAX within 200 miles and LGA within 50 miles. Got a $238 RT fare SAN-JFK.

Since you were not specific about dates and where on west coast, don't know if this will work for you but try that site yourself.

A word of warning - you can not book directly from site and must go to individual airline sites. At times, the fare listed on itasoftware is not available, but I have had reasonably good luck.

GoTravel Sep 12th, 2006 06:42 AM

Sorry AA.

Paris, save that $7 and book the $308 fare from www.AA.com if still available.

Better?

nytraveler Sep 12th, 2006 06:42 AM

If you can get a very low fare into Islip or Westchester just be aware that neither has good transport into NYC. It can take a very long time (hours) and/or be very expensie. Make sure it doesn;t eat up any savings - I would only do it if the savings were at least $200 - and would really think hard then.

(From LGA you can be into the city for in 30 minutes $30/$35 by taxi and less than $20 by shuttle - versus at least 2 hours and more than $20 for infrequent van or shuttle to bus or train into the city from Islip.)