Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rosie O'Donnell in Fiddler?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rosie-odonnell-in-fiddler-550727/)

sks Aug 10th, 2005 08:48 AM

Rosie O'Donnell in Fiddler?!

Anyone know if this is true??

My husband just informed me he read (I think in the 8/8-8/15 New Yorker, but I'm not positive - it was in something sitting on our coffee table) that Rosie will be in Fiddler on the Roof - didn't say which part. Could she be replacing Andrea Martin?? A last ditch effort to improve ticket sales, or what?

As if Harvey F. wasn't bad enough.

GoTravel Aug 10th, 2005 09:00 AM

I don't think it would be to improve ticket sales but I did read the same thing recently.

Evidently she is making noises about Fiddler On The Roof on her website.

I would have thought her $10 million dollar Boy George thing would have ruined Broadway for her.

If not, good for her. While I don't care for her, I admire her ability to get back in the saddle.

Patrick Aug 10th, 2005 09:07 AM

I saw on TV last night she is being "considered" to play Golde (the wife). Personally I think it's a perfect choice for a "wife" to Harvey Fierstein.

seetheworld Aug 10th, 2005 09:08 AM

Geesh, since when did Fiddler become a comedy act?!?

So glad I saw it with Alfred Molina!

fluffnfold Aug 10th, 2005 09:09 AM

I think that Rosie is supposed to play the part of Tevye the Milkman's (Harvey Fierstein's) wife.

Patrick Aug 10th, 2005 09:15 AM

"Geesh, since when did Fiddler become a comedy act?!?"

Maybe when it first appeared on Broadway starring Zero Mostel? Many said the main thing lacking in the Molina production was the humor.

seetheworld Aug 10th, 2005 09:35 AM

I'll elaborate.

Subtle humor, yes. Molina, in my opinion, did just fine. And surprise, surprise, he could actually SING. That seems to be what HF lacks. I don't know about anybody else, but when I go to a musical, I expect the performers to be able to sing.

HR and Rosie? Well, let's see if they're able to provide something other than a two-person comedy act, but I somehow doubt it.

seetheworld Aug 10th, 2005 09:38 AM

That should be "HF", not HR.

Suki Aug 10th, 2005 09:44 AM

Yes, she has been cast as Golde, Tevye's wife.

Jean_Valjean Aug 10th, 2005 09:56 AM

Yep. She's been officialy cast.

On another note, I saw Fiddler with Alfred Molina, and thought it was OK... my wife saw it with both AM and Harvey Fierstein, and she was really impressed by HF's performance. Granted, the guy can't sing, but he gives a much better performance, full of nuance and humor (according to my wife)...

seetheworld Aug 10th, 2005 10:00 AM

I wish them all the best. The show only runs until January 2006.

JV: BTW, I love HF - especially in Mrs. Doubtfire, but I wouldn't pay to hear him sing :D

FainaAgain Aug 10th, 2005 10:32 AM

Are you sure she's not playing Tevye?

I can just picture this Goldie and her anti-weapon monologue.

sks Aug 10th, 2005 01:01 PM

"Are you sure she's not playing Tevye?"

lol

We really did not like HF's performance at all (this Fiddler production seems to be lacking in many other areas). My husband just told me that he had a nightmare last night that we were forced to go see Fiddler again, only with Rosie this time around. He seemed pretty traumatized. ;)

(Nothing against Rosie, but she just doesn't seem to fit the part.)