Roseville, CA: Need a good restaurant suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Jayne1973

Hi California experts,
I want to purchase a restaurant gift certificate for an aunt who lives outside Roseville. I checked out the other Roseville restaurant post but it was directed at serving a large group. This would be for a small group -- maybe four or so, not into fancy-- but some place nice, with friendly service and good food. The aunt is country folk, in her 70s and very active. I'm looking for an independent place where she and her family can have a great meal in a pleasant atmosphere.

Thanks SO much for any suggestions.

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many good and moderately priced restaurants in Roseville. I have found that it's really the popular thing to not accept reservations leading to long waits. I will recommend restaurants that take reservations because I think some people can get worn out with a wait of an hour or more.

We ate at Carvers on Saturday night and thought the food was good, the service was fantastic and the dress ranged from casual to the teens dressed up for homecoming. Good entrees for about $20 which include bread, soup or salad (many yummy salads to choose from) entree with choice of baked potato, au gratin, rice or just vegetables.

Piatti is also very nice. Corner of Eureka and Douglas. We've eaten there with our parents in their 70s.

Il Fornaio which is at the Galleria. Lovely inside. Good food and service.

Here are some choices that do not accept reservations:

Tahoe Joes, Macaroni Grill, Mimi's Cafe, Outback Steakhouse, Claim Jumpers.

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 09:13 AM

I live in Roseville and I second Piatti's and Carvers - both very nice with good food. I'm sure your aunt would be happy with either.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Kal

Hey!
The makings of a Roseville GTG??? :-?

Funny this should be here!
I'm going to Carver's tonight with an out of town friend. Quality Control on the Fodor's board!

Jayne-When you say "just outside of Roseville", where-ish? Some good ones just outside of Roseville.
Venita Rhea's in Rocklin.
Horsehoe Bar Grille in Loomis.
Beerman's in Lincoln.
Cabos in Granite Bay.

Also in Roseville, if she likes sushi Mikuni's.
Dim Sum-Fat's Asian Bistro.
Mexican-Cafe Bernardos, Carmelita's or Mission Rogelio.

Del Webb's Sun City in Roseville (retirement community) just reopened their remodeled restaurant. I think it's Timber Cove Lodge?

Try this site: www.rocklintoday.com/dining.asp

Mahalo,
Kal
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Jayne1973

Kal,

She lives in Granite Bay. I hope you'll post a review of Carvers.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. CA Fodorites are the best!

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Kal

If she's out in "GeeBee" there's the town of Folsom to pick from, too.

Some good ones on Sutter street in Old Town Folsom and some new ones whose names escape me right now off of Folsom Auburn/Folsom Blvd.

If Granite Rock Grill (Granito Piedre) is still open and Lester is the owner/chef, was very good a few year ago.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Kal

Jayne-Totally agree with Suuuuuzie's assessment.

The steaks were very good and Mrs K's Dbl Thick pork chop was also very good.
Calamari appetizer was could not have been better.

Good wine list if your Aunt is so inclined.

BUT....take a flashlight and reading glasses 'cuz it's dim in there!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 07:55 AM

LOL Kal! I had the spot light on me all night on Saturday. Felt like I was glowing!! We always like to sit in the room with the Flies on the wall. Pictures of fly fishing flies that is!!!

Love the spinach salad with apples, dried cranberries and candied almonds. It was so good on Sat. I had the special Halibut that had a chili rub and was served with the yummiest cucumber salsa. Great fresh taste. DH had the steak with whisky peppercorn sauce and the best looking au gratin potatoes I've ever seen!
Did ya think the sorriest part of the menu was the dessert. Never saw so much Hagan Daz 'cept for the grocery store. Make more stuff we can't get somewhere else.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Kal

Suuuz,
You had room for desert?

I HAD to finish ALL the 'taters au gratin. They were "ono-liscious".

Ditto the salads you mentioned!
Then it was a sloooowwwww drive home.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Just something sweet to share.... The creme brulee was too eggy and the serving was too large. We were full for hours. I've always had great meals there. Probably one of the most consitant restraunts around.

Didja read in the insect that they may be putting a Ruth Chris Steakhouse at the Galleria? I assume it would be in the Birch Creek site (unless that's where Maxs already is)
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Kal

Yep!
Never ate at a Ruth's but I almost took a bite out of one of their advertisements one day!

Also saw where Horseshoe Bar Grill lost it's Exec Chef so Jayne may want to scratch that off the list for the time being..

Good article about the Ravenswood Vineyards Austrailian Shiraz endeavors. That is a goooood wine!

We're off to Yountville this Friday for a friend's long b'day weekend.
Got a ressie at Hurley's and I think their calamari is some of the best around.

Also found out the old "The Diner" is now The Wine Garden Cafe...tapas etc so we may take that in too...Doing some "scouting" for the Nov. Fodor's Yountville GTG.

The things I do for this board!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM

LOL. Yes the sacrifices.

Read that about one of my fave places. Horseshoe Bar. I don't know if I ate there during the time she was there.

Didja notice that the Baccanal went out of business. Wasn't it you who reported that it was mucho dinero to eat the small plates? That place is close to home but didn't make it there during its short occupancy. It's now some Texas BBQ. Is that more Roseville's speed?
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:57 AM

PF Changs - so yummy.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:02 AM

PF Changs is indeed yummy. Lettuce wraps, drool.....The problem is that they don't take reservations and the wait is usually an hour or more. The aunt is in her 70s and may not want to wait around for a table. Heck, I hate waiting for a table. Usually eat in the bar!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Jayne1973

Wow, so many decisions. I'm leaning towards Carvers because it sounds like a really nice independent place.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 11:03 AM

Jayne,

Carver's, like many other of the restaurants mention in this post are chains.

Curious
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:28 PM

One of my favorite restaurants in Roseville that is not part of a chain is La Provence. It French country style with a nice, warm atmosphere. They have started their own web site at http://laprovenceroseville.com/.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:17 PM
Jayne1973

Is Carvers a California chain? I've never heard of it. Is the French place expensive?

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:52 AM
Kal

Ooops. I guess I read "independent" incorrectly. Thought you meant she was active and independent.

Carvers is owned by some company, can't recall exactly who, but it's still one of the better steaks around. A little less expensive than a Morton's or Ruth's Chris. Similar setting, tho.

We live about a mile or 2 from La Provence on the poor side of town #39;( .

In fact, our fave wine shop is located on the other end of their building. Nice setting as mentioned.

Located in a "vernal pond area" so nothing can be built around it.
While we heard the food was good, the only rap was it was expensive.

Suuuz, Yep, it was I on Bac Grill. Darn shame too. Haven't tried the new BBQ place but it sure smells good when I drive by on the way to Maidu!