Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Roosevelt Hotel New York - looking for reviews/feedback

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow Fodorites, I'm staying at the Roosevelt for my first week in NYC in September. It looks to be a reasonable hotel in a great location, but I'm keen to hear your reviews and suggestions for breakfast and dinner options nearby. Thanks in anticipation
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM

Roosevelt Hotel is on 45 E 45th? It's near Grand Central station. I must say that this area isn't that interesting, but it's pretty convenient.

There are some Japanese restaurants east of the station (if you like sushi, there's Sushi Yasada, but it's on the pricey side, and two nice restaurants of the Torys group nearby -- see http://www.torysnyc.com).

It's close to the NY Public Library, Bryant Park, Morgan Library and within walking distance of the International Center of Photography and further up you have MoMA and Rockefeller Center.

I saw your other thread about Hampton Inn in Soho. Personally I'd go for the downtown location as midtown tends to be more commmercial and more sedate. It's true that that location is at the edge of Soho, but I doubt it's dangerous. (With the usual precautions, I don't think there's really anything bad these days below 125th.) You're close to Tribeca and Soho and West Village. There should more going on at night compared to midtown (but Soho in general is probably on the quieter side at night because it's dominated by shops that sell clothing these days -- but it's actually quite interesting to walk there at night, I find, when all the tourists are gone).

I can see advantages to both areas. I'd go for downtown because I think it's livelier, but if you're interested in a quieter neighborhood, Roosevelt may work better. Even if your hotel is not quite smack in the middle of things, you're within very close walking distance to a lot of things.

And check reviews on Tripadvisor.com if you haven't already.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Italophile's other thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...r-feedback.cfm

Do you mind telling us how much the rooms are for both? Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM

The Roosevelt is an older traditional hotel in a business area. Rooms are fine but you should be getting a good rate. Central location but quiet and night. For a lot of places to eat you need to head much further east to a residential area or over to 9th ave in the 40s for a lot of ethnic places.

Not the hotel/area I would choose unless it's a great deal. (I would stay in a residential area with more cafes and street life at night.)
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM

I agree with all the previous posts. You better be trading an older facility in an acceptable but not ideal location for an attractive price.

At my last stay, I was in a high ceilinged room with dated furnishings and an old fashioned bathroom. I stayed because a convention occupied everywhere else. My visit was a warm early spring day when the radiator heaters could not be adjusted for temperature change. The location was central but not glamorous.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks 111op, nytraveler and stumpworks73! I'm staying at The Roosevelt my first week in NY (then heading to Philly and Boston for 10 days) then back to NY and staying the last week at Hampton Inn Soho - so I get to stay in two vastly different areas and I was keen on experiencing a typical NYC art deco hotel as well as a modern one. I paid in AUD on expedia.com.au - Roosevelt $227/night and Hampton $217/night (that's in Aussie dollars).
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Wow, that's a long stay! I hope you enjoy yourself! (1 AUD is about 0.8 USD, in case anyone reading this is wondering.)
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:04 AM

Those are excellent prices for both hotels. I actually would give the nod to the Roosevelt for location. It's certainly an older hotel and some of the furnishings/fixtures dated, but the location near Grand Central can't be beat. I don't really understand why people are so negative about the location. You're within a 15-minute walk of virtually every place in Midtown Manhattan, including myriad neighborhood restaurants if you simply go south a few blocks to Murray Hill. (You can walk to 2nd Ave Deli in about 15 minutes, for example, since it's on 33rd Street.)

The Hampton Inn, while it sounds interesting, is not nearly so conveniently located for the places tourists typically go. It's a rather isolated, dingy nightlife area with some excellent restaurants scattered around but no real concentration. Though it too is within 15 minutes walk of more interesting places.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Wonderful lobby, VERY small rooms, nice area, convinient but nothing special.

Don't check out at "check out" time because it will take you twenty mintues to go down 10 floors in the elevator (stopping on every floor).
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM

The first week in Sept. is a great time to find hotel bargains. Unless you've already paid for the Roosevelt and are locked in, I'd consider some place else. Imo that's MUCH too much to pay for it. I agree it's convenient and central but boring location and rooms are really dated. Forget deco and get a decent hotel in a decent location. There are loads of specials on travelzoo.com that include Sept 1-7. If you want an older hotel with history, the Warwick is on special on travelzoo. It's a better location and a nicer hotel with bigger rooms. The Millenium Broadway would also be a good choice but more modern.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Just my .02 on the Roosevelt. Recently had some clients staying there and each of their rooms was awful! Not just dated, but filthy (really - stained linens and carpets, unclean toilet, etc.). This was the case, in varying degrees, for both rooms. I would not be able to rec. this hotel to anyone.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and tips everybody. I read mainly positive reviews on trip advisor before I booked. If I end up with a sub-standard room as far as cleanliness is concerned, then I'm not averse to going down to the lobby and asking for the manager. It's also why I booked on expedia.com.au - they have an office here in Sydney that I can go into in person to complain/get refund. I would never book on a website that has an office that I can't get to. I've found in the past that a personal visit often ends in satisfaction.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:59 PM

Italophile, I was wondering how your stay at the Roosevelt ended up? I just won a bid for it on Priceline and am reading very mixed reviews of Tripadvisor. It seems like some people had great experiences while others sound revolting.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 07:55 PM

Our family stayed there years ago. The rooms were small. The lobby was awesome. The retaurant "hooked" to it was excellent and I believe quite popular among locals.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM

I also won the Roosevelt on Priceline for under $100 last summer. It was absolutely fine and very convenient to everything. There is a nice breakfast place across the street and others around the corners.Nice market in Grand central.

I probably wrote a reivew on www.betterbidding.com.

Our rooms were not dirty. Room was small but for the price the hostels are more practically.

No complaints here and if I won it again I would not be upset.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 12:06 PM

"Room was small but for the price the hostels are more practically."
What does that mean????????
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM

I just completed a stay at the hampton inn soho and in over 10 years of travel as a Hilton Honors member I had to call int he HAMPTON INN 100% satisfaction guarantee for the first time ever.

- room not ready until after 4 pM when check in is at 3 or after. (minor but didn't help)

- housekeeping staff blared radio and loud conversations outside our door at night and when we asked to please quiet down one of them started banging on on our door and then refused to turn down radio until front desk staff sent security an hour later!

- ventilation system is VERY noisy and almost impossible to control via thermostat

- breakfast room is WAY too small for the size of the hotel and people were literally shoving us ot get a piece of toast or muffin.

- rooms are not soundproofed at all - we heard every door close and a loud argument next door which security had ot come AGAIN

to their credit the manager did refund a night stay for us which was very appropriate. But altho I actually LOVE the soho area - shortish walk to lots of shops and food - I would not stay there again.

Conversely, I LOVE the Roosevelt for its location, the helpful staff and I haven ever had a bad room there. However I wouldn't pay their full prices - if oyu can get it for $150 or less it's a god deal. I have never had any cleanliness problems there in over 10 years of staying once a year or so.

One excellent Italian resto nearby to the Roosevelt is Fagiolini - small place but usually a table is available, excellent pastas and larger plates for reasonable prices.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM

I meant, comparitively speaking, the price of a hostel type hotel was not much different from what we paid for the Roosevelt.(I was comparing to what a friend's daughter had paid at a place a few months earlier.)

Sorry. Didn't express myself clearly.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

I enjoyed my stay at the Roosevelt back in September 09. My friend and I were upgraded which was good! Only complaints are the noisy aircon and (if that was turned off) extremely loud early morning garbage collection - though I guess that's par for the course anywhere in NYC? The reception staff were very friendly. Oh, and the woman in the little general shop in the hotel ripped me off when I bought stamps - overcharged me by a few dollars. If it wasn't my first night after two days of no sleep I would have probably noticed at the time instead of a few hours later....