Rooms: Hyatt Kauai vs. Marriot Kauai

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Tigger

Rooms: Hyatt Kauai vs. Marriot Kauai

Based on the ROOM only, which is nicer? (more upscale, nicer amenties, newer furnishings, bigger balconies, etc)

Hyatt Kauai or the Marriott in Kauai??

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:05 PM
bill

Based on room only Marriott is nicer. Based on grounds Hyatt has a little edge. One poster here said Hyatt was all "show and no go".

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Anthony

I have stayed on 2 different occasions at the Hyatt Kauai, and the hotel overall is FAR SUPERIOR to the Marriott.
I don't know who, allof a sudden, is starting these rumors on this site that the Hyatt is not nice. In EVERY major hotel list, The Hyatt Kauai is ranked among the top hotels of the WORLD; and besides the 4 seasons and Ritz Carltons in Hawaai, Hyatt Kauai ranks among the top Hi. hotels. The Marriott NEVER show up in any of these lists.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Tigger

There is no doubt in my mind that it is a fabulous resort.
I'm concerned about the rooms. They look really gross. Especially for what you are paying. I just don't understand how the property can look so beautiful and the rooms so yucky.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:25 PM
pooh

The rooms at the Hyatt Kauai are fine. The problem with some people is the price! Hawaii prices are about 1/3-1/2 more than some very nice hotels on the mainland. I suggest that if you want to stay at any of these fine hotels look for bargain prices on the internet, airline voucher discounts, entertainment club discounts, etc. If you're still not happy with the prices, try going to Florida!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:58 PM
joy

The Kauai Marriott is a lovely place to stay. I do not know how it can get any better than this.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Sheri

Ummmmmm....Four Seasons, Kea Lani, Mandarin Oriental, Lodge at Koele, Manele Bay, Princeville Resort.....those are all ways it can "possibly get better than the Marriott".

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:01 PM
suzie

Although the Hyatt is nice it is much overrated. It seems like a lot of other posters who have stayed at the Hyatt agree.

The Hyatt grounds are nice but rooms are plain. Bathrooms worse. The room you think you reserved may not be the room you get. The pool area is fun. Restaurants O.K.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Cherish

I've never stayed at the Marriot, but I can't understand what poster's are saying about the Hyatt, especially the bathrooms. I thought the bathrooms were roomy and clean and compared to other US cities, great. The bathroom was large, and stocked with tolietries only available at the spa. The Marriot must have some outstanding bathrooms. I can only tell you what the Hyatt has, a comfortable clean room, wonderful grounds, a fun exciting pool, a great beach.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:56 AM
gabby

The Hyatt does have nice grounds and a fun pool. When I walked into the lobby and saw how grand it was along with the beautiful open atrium and the lovely grounds, I thought that the rooms would be bright and deluxe. They are decorated in muted shades of green and brown. They are rather depressing and very , very plain. I was always turning all the light on to make it brighter and I was on an upper floor where you would think the light would naturally filter through. With all the rain we had only made it seem much worse.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Anthony

I can't understand why people complain about the Kauai Hyatt's bathrooms. I've STAYED there, so I know. They have large, sliding doors, which you can open all the way to create a open dressing-room type atmosphere. There is a separate toilet rm. There is a HUGE vanity, with two sinks, and on either side are glass shelves for your toiletries. The is a nice bathtub/shower combo, and the entire bathroom is in marble. What more are people looking for? In fact, I think the bathroom is one of the NICER hotel bathrooms.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:01 AM
MaxineB

Ditto Anthony's comments. We stayed at Hyatt Kauai last summer and loved it. The rooms were beautiful, including bathrooms. I don't know what the deal is, but something smells distinctly fishy about some of these threads. How are people comparing rooms at the Marriott with rooms at the Hyatt? What, you stayed both places? I could never say anything about Marriott or Princeville rooms, not having stayed there. Someone else insinuates there are parking charges when there aren't, or weren't while we were there. Someone not staying on ground floor says there are bugs in those rooms. All this is beginning to raise a red flag. What gives, "posters"?!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:28 AM
bonnie

Maybe there are different types of rooms and different kinds of bathrooms at the Hyatt. Or maybe they have remodeled part of the hotel and not another part.

What you described about your Hyatt room was not at all like mine. And we have stayed at both the Hyatt and the Princeville, though not the Marriott. We will not go back to the Hyatt.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:30 AM
a

Maybe it would be helpful if those who have been can add the year of their travels.

From what I hear, the resort was nice in the early 90s but has since declined.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:06 AM
John

Traveled in July, 2002. Beautiful room, not as luxurious as FS or Kea Lani, but nice nonetheless. No bugs and nice, clean bathrooms.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Katie

Tigger, at least there are no bugs at the Marriott.