room choices Grand Wailea and Kauai Hyatt

Old Nov 28th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
room choices Grand Wailea and Kauai Hyatt

Aloha, fellow Hawaii lovers!
Since I now have a ten year old on my hands, I'm in the process of booking kid-friendly fab pool resorts for our upcoming trip to Maui and Kauai June 2004. We are currently planning to book the least expensive rooms at the Grand Wailea on Maui and the Hyatt on Kauai. Any suggestions as to room requests? Would like to be near the pools. Might also be cool to be able to walk directly out of the room onto the grounds as I ususally wake up much earlier than everyone else. Any good upgrade stories? It will be our 20th wedding anniversary and would like to milk that for all it's worth!
Mahalo!
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 08:14 PM

At the Hyatt, there are not many rooms near the pool--the place is huge and very spread out. We were upgraded to a suite, on the first floor, and had a lanai, and you could walk out that way onto the grounds. But it was a long walk to everywhere. The Club level rooms are in the main building and closer to everything, and are a bit nicer from what I hear.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 02:34 PM

My boys loved the Grand Wailea--the pool area really is awesome--enough to keep them occupied for days. None of the rooms are really near the pools, though I did get up every morning and take a nice walk along the beach (the rooms are set way back and you walk through the grounds quite a ways.)
The Hyatt on Kauai has a nice pool, but your kids won't be as impressed if they have been to the Grand Wailea first as there is no big slide or water elevator. Also no really nice path along the beach. The hotel is a bit nearer the beach than the Grand Wailea though. My boys swam in the ocean at the Grand Wailea but not at the Hyatt on Kauai.
We are booked at the Kea Lani for this New Year's, so I will have that to compare also soon.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Just a correction on the previous post about the pool at the Hyatt. There actually is a big water slide and one or two small ones at the pool at the Hyatt. The pool is great, although nothing probably compares to the pool at the Grand Wailea.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 02:15 PM

Yes, Hyatt does have a water slide--just not as incredible as the one at the Grand Wailea.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 03:17 PM

True--the pool at Grand Wailea is quite spectacular and there are not many that match it. I did love the pool at the Hyatt, though, and also the manmade saltwater lagoon with the fake sand beach.