Roney Palace South Beach help please

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roney Palace South Beach help please

I have booked this hotel ocean view at a restoration rate of $230/nt in early April. I am concerned because I have read that it is quite far from the main SoBe hot spots, so far that a taxi may be needed to get to good attractions. The reason I chose this place is mainly because of price, the more centrally located hotels are quite expensive for ocean views.

Should I forgo the ocean view and opt standard room in a more favorable spot? I am open to suggestions, though I prefer something on the beach and not more than $250/nt. This would be during high season, the first week of April. I already have a standard room at Hotel Ocean pre-cruise. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Are you serious ? $230 for the Roney Palace...I know you can get rooms right in the heart of South Beach for about $125 pn...Go onto priceline and see what they have....
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

That's what I was asking. I'd really like to have an ocean view and don't know anything about the hotel. PS, Roney Palace is a Priceline hotel in the South Beach Zone. Roney Palace is still a risk if I bid there. I prefer a specific hotel for my parents as they have not been to Miami before.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:48 PM

The Roney Palace is an OK property (big rooms), but your folks will indeed be a cab ride to anything they'll want to see and do in South Beach. Do you need something ON the beach? Would oceanfront (with beach across the street) be acceptable? Here are some alternatives I'd look into:

ON BEACH:
-- The National
-- The South Seas
-- Royal Palm Crowne Plaza

OCEANFRONT:
-- The Cardozo
-- The Park Central

The rates for an oceanview room might come in right around the $230/night that the Roney Palace will charge. Or less.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:10 PM
GoTravel

I am going to go against what others have said and urge you to keep the Roney Palace.

Reason one: It isn't that far from the Lincoln Road Mall. Only five or six blocks. The Roney Palace is at 22nd or 23rd Street. With the opening of the new Ritz-Carlton at the Lincoln Road Mall, the Delano, Richmond, Loews, Shore Club, and Crown Plaza, that area is becoming the epicenter of South Beach.

You can walk down to the deco destrict. Ten blocks or twelve blocks south and you are in the deco district. I can't imagine anyone having to taxi this distance unless they are the old, infirm, or intoxicated.

I know it isn't the deco distric but to me deco distric equals very tiny rooms, loud music, euro partiers, and walls that are too thin.

Reason two: The Roney Palace is one of the only all condo buildings in South Beach (okay, if you want to get technical, Mid Beach). You will have a kitchen and not have to rely on using a cooler or eating out every meal.

Food in South Beach can be expensive. Think NYC prices.

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I looked up the Cardozo and they have ocean rooms availible for $225. I was really hoping that they would be on the beach, at a hotel that provides lawn chairs. Still have to check on the other suggestions, the National and Royal Palms are $300/nt for standanr rooms.

My parents are in their early 60's so they'd most likely have to take a cab from Roney palace to be in the main drag. But the shopping mall would be good for them.I'm thoroughly confused now!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:18 PM
GoTravel

The Lincoln Road Mall is an outdoor pedestrian mall. They closed down a street and it is filled with vendors, shops, and the street median has tables from the restaurants.

Any hotel below 14th will not be oceanfront but across the street from the beach.

Since your parents are elderly, I suggest you not stay in the deco district. It can be very loud and rowdy.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Lincoln Road Mall used to have shops years ago..then it went defunct--then got renovated again...with little shops and restaurants..

Now it is MAINLY restaurants and only a handful of shops..so if you are using this mall for shopping pleasures, I suggest you take a cab up the road to the Bal Harbor Shops...
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:57 AM
GoTravel

Make sure when driving to Bal Harbour to shop that your checking account is at least in the six figures. Saks and Neiman Marcus are the anchor stores. The chain stores are Louis Vitton, Chanel, Versace, Prada, etc.

It could probably be the most lux mall in the US.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Yes, Go Travel, and if you use their valet parking at that "mall" they wash your car for you. Nice touch, don't you think?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone. I discussed the noise idea with Dad last night and agrees Roney is probably the best choice for them. I just hesitated because the hotel may be a little run down and there may be a lot of construction noise. I'll call the hotel to see exactly what will be going on at that time. Right now Roney Palace seems to have the best value for the money $)
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:25 AM

i just returned from sobe 1-18-04 and stayed at the roney for 3 nites..loved it..service was great etc.we are in our late 30's and walked to lincoln rd and to ocean..really loved the roney
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Billy, what about the complaints that the hotel is run down, is this true? How are the rooms and common areas? Also can you still open your door even though the balcony is closed? Sorry for all the ?'s.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:19 AM

from my understanding the roney is one of the originals in sobe, hence one of the oldest..the construction going on is fixing alot of the older exterior stuff.. none of the construction affected our stay .noise etc.,,we had a city view room w/out a balcony and our windows were able to open for fresh air..yes, there is some damage to the balconys which is evident from the outside but that is whats being fixed.. the rooms are huge!!!! and mine was brand new..the common areas are very clean and fancy..marble etc..i was very impressed with the hotel. i believe all the rooms have been upgraded...a word of advise ...for breakfast go across the street to the steakhouse on the corner for breakfast..might not look like much but its cheaper for breakfest than the roney..i also got a cuban sandwich there whic was good..also across the street was avis, and outside the roney was budget rentals..i didnt know this until i got there..we didnt rent a car until our last day..we took a taxi frm the airport..about $32..we rented a car the last day as the wind was comming off the ocean and drove to the keys for the day..granted, the compact from sobe was $42 where as frm the airport it was only about $20..so, we dropped the car at the airport at no xtra cost and saved $20 bcause we didnt need the taxi..any other ? feel free to ask..would love to help...bill
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Billy. The reviews of the place have been horrible as of late. I feel much better about it now. I was thinking the rooms would be funky and dated. My parents stay would be in the beginning of April and I'm praying the balconies will be open by then. The website says they will be closed until further notice. As mentioned before I got a good rate for an ocean view due to the construction. Thanks for the dining suggestions too!