Search

Driving In Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving In Oahu

Is it easy to find your way around Oahu?

Thanks
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 06:04 AM

There are only a couple of main interstate/highways on the island. Those are fairly easy to drive [with a map and having directions to where you are going ahead of time] and they are fairly crowded at rush hour. But driving to the North Shore for example from Ko'Olina where we stayed was not bad at all.

We did drive out to Hanauma Bay and there was a good deal of traffic even on an early Saturday morning.

We drove into Honolulu one night for dinner and it was like driving in any good sized city. Again, with directions in hand and a map we were ok.

We did not drive to Waikiki.

I guess it all depends on what kind of driving you do normally if you think this will be tough.

We used to live in the suburbs of NYC, so traffic is something we are used to, so it wasn't all so different to us. It sure isn't LA driving.

If you belong to AAA get map and travel book. Or pick up a good guide to Oahu book online.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM

It is very simple. If there is someplace you are worried about finding, mapquest it before you leave home or at your hotel.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM

One of the hardest things is to find your way from Waikiki to the freeway. Many friends complain about it; the lack of signage and the few on-ramps. Have written instructions!

BTW: you drive ON Oahu (or Maui or Kauai), IN Honolulu (or any other town in Hawaii)
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Though the island itself is easy, Waikiki was not at all easy for us to navigate. I had studied the map and had written instructions as to how to find our hotel from the airport.

When DH (the driver) did his usual, "Oh, did you mean THAT right?"- as we missed our off-ramp turn, I had no idea how to remedy the situation. I only knew that ONE way there.

He, of course said "No problem we'll take the next off ramp." Because of one way streets, and much traffic, we were not able to get back to where we should have been. Ended up doing the 'hunt and peck' type of venturing until we finally got there.

I guess, if you take along a sense of humor and some knowledge of deep cleansing breaths, you'll do fine!