Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Romantic yet moderate price B&B/hotel in San Diego

May 10th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Lori

My boyfriend and I are looking for a romantic hotel or B&B for around the $100/night range. I've stayed in the downtown region, but wouldn't mind seeing another part of San Diego. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Lori

May 14th, 2002, 09:23 PM
vanessa

hi lori, i have the same question you do, although I've been inbetween the gaslamp area and something cheaper in a B&B. Where did you stay downtown? Does it matter at night where we are if we want to walk around from dinner till later on, taking in the sites? Check this site out for B&Bs
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/prope...aspx?id=213460

May 15th, 2002, 07:19 AM
x

la jolla is a pretty nice place for "romantic" setting but i doubt you'd find anything there for our price range.
location wise, i like the catamaran.
paradise point (i think that's the name) has individual rooms (cabanas) which is nice. lots of pools.

May 16th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Lori

Hi vanessa. Thanks for the website address. I was in San Diego this past February with my mom and we stayed at La Pensione on India Street, which is only a 5 minute drive to the Gaslamp area. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful, but the rooms were small and basic. No frills and no great views, but it was very cheap at $60 a night. The hotel was not too far from Gaslamp, Balboa Park and the Embarcadero. However, at night I think it's smarter to have a car because it does get desolate around there. However if you're right in the heart of the Gaslamp area there did seem to be more people around so you might be ok strolling around. Just curious, what hotels/b&b's have you been looking at?

May 16th, 2002, 08:32 AM
jill

We stayed at the Balboa Park B&B (maybe not the exact name?) right at the northern location of the park. It was our own 'apartment' and they delivered breakfast to us at our specified time - a nice basket with breads, fruit, coffee, etc. They have much nicer rooms (not apartments but gorgeous rooms) which I think would be better but we didn't know about them and booked in a hurry so of course they sold us the bigger room! It was pleasant and private and very nice. They have a french room that I hear is lovely. Around the corner (actually, about 5 blocks down and on the left) was a busy street with some fabulous restaurants. I highly recomend this place!

May 16th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Lori

Thanks Jill, that sounds lovely. I will definitely check it out.

May 16th, 2002, 10:31 AM
travellyn

The Balboa Park Inn, described above by Jill, has a web site (www.balboaparkinn.com) with pictures of the rooms. I stayed there in late March and also enjoyed it. Although I stayed in a larger apartment with my husband and children, my parents had a mor hotel-like room upstairs from ours. Theirs was called "City Lights"; it was beautiful and cost $89 per night.

I wasn't impressed with the unchanging breakfast, but overall I liked staying there; I hope to return sometime.

May 17th, 2002, 07:25 AM
vanessa

Hi lori, let me get out my growing list of places to stay in San diego...here are some places: 1. Horton Grand Hotel (seems cheapest is about $149...yikes!) 2. Hermitage Inn (have to look on web for this one...read on http://www.localwally.com/ i think..this is a good site for things to do in SD etc.) 3. Comfort Inn Downtown ( a minute to zoo and close to Gaslamp) 4. La Jolla Inn ($89 per night) 5. Town & Country Resort & Convention Center San Diego ( $115 per night...trolly station on property) I guess my concern is booking a place on the cheap for 2 or 3 nights, and then being sorry when it's a dump or has thin mattresses etc. Ahhhhhh!!! what to do....

May 17th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Vanessa

Also...have bookmarked Blom House B&B in San Diego and Balboa Park, close to zoo. Trying to decide if we go with a B&B with a more residential surrounding or the bigger places surrounded by restaurants/shops.