Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Romantic weekend getaway - New Orleans, San Diego or Key West??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,
I need some advice from you - I intend to take my girlfriend out for a romantic weekend to one of the following towns:

1. New Orleans
2. San Diego (or any place else in S.California)
3. Key West

I intend to surprise her with this in November. Can anyone who lives in, or has been to, one of these towns recommend a great hotel? Something very very romantic with top-notch service. Money is not an object.
Also any idea of the weather in any of these towns in November?

For New Orleans my first choice is the "Maison Orleans" - good choice? (2nd choice is Ritz Carlton)
I cannot find a good hotel for the other places - or at least one that stands out above the rest. Recommendations welcome.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Depending on where you're coming from and how much time you actually like to spend on the road or in the air, I'd recommend Key West. It's absolutely beautiful. There are plenty of things to do too. When we went, we stayed at
Marina Del Mar (http://www.marinadelmarkeylargo.com/) on Key Largo. The drive from Key Largo to Key West was a bit tiresome, but well worth it. It was nice.

New Orleans was nice too, but in our opinion, it was just a dirty version of Key West.

Great idea to surprise her. Have fun!
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:32 AM

Weather.com can give you the historical weather data for each city.

New Orleans would be my choice for a romantic weekend, especially if you love good food, good jazz, and a little history, too. A weekend would give you a good taste of the city. DO make sure the weekend you choose is not a home game for the Saints!

Key West is a neat place, but that long drive from Miami airport does eat into the weekend...
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:33 AM

My first choice would be Key West and 2nd would be New Orleans. The Marquesa Hotel, Ocean Key resort and The Gardens Hotel are all very romantic, beautiful places in Key West.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:42 AM

I'll vote for N/O. The dining experiences alone sell it for me.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Either Key West or NO.

In Key West, I second the Marquesa. (We also like The Heron House, which is across the street.) I would eat at restaurants other than the Marquesa though. We were not impressed with the food.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:57 AM

I love all three of these places but Key West is by far my favorite. Having said that, it's nearly impossible to set up a weekend visit there due to travel restraints. If you fly into Miami and drive down, the trip is at least 4 hours. If you fly directly into Key West, you normally have at least one plane change en route. If I were you, I'd check flight options before deciding which town to visit.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Nealf - Never been to Key West so I can't comment on that destination. But I've been to NO and SD. SD is great but not romantic - go there after you're married and have 3 kids.

NO is very romantic. And not somewhere you'll go with those same 3 kids ;-). NO has great dining, carriage rides, late nights, music is absolutely everywhere - there's more to it than Bourbon St.

Have fun.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:16 AM

No one's defending the honor of poor San Diego and southern CA.... So I guess it's up to me. Key West and New Orleans are great destinations, and you can have a romantic time in either place. But might I offer a few suggestions in my area...?

-- The Hotel Parisi in La Jolla, CA (a tony seaside neighborhood of San Diego) is a cozy, luxurious gem of a property in the heart of LJ. Egyptian linens, entire property decorated with feng shui consultants, and the lovely town of La Jolla-- it all spells Romance to me. The area has great restaurants, fine shopping, and picturesque little beach coves to watch the ocean and walk on the sands.

-- Surf and Sand in Laguna Beach, CA. Another luxury property (beachfront) with on-site spa, this time located in a true artists' community (and home to some very rich Californians) with a relaxed vibe day and night. Boutiques, art galleries, great theatre (the Laguna Playhouse is one of the great regional theatres of the US), laid-back nightlife, superb restaurants.

-- The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, in Dana Point, is a lovely, sumptuous hotel overlooking the Pacific with incredible views of Catalina Island. Great spa amenities, fine dining, golf nearby, etc. A bit more isolated than the other two, but wonderful for a weekend getaway.

Others can tell you about Santa Barbara (gorgeous town that I've never really explored), but these would be my first choices.
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Skip Key West...very overated in my opinion. New Orleans is fun. Great food, antiquing if you want..and general siteseeing. But if you want something top notch I would go to California. RJ has the right idea. When I went to La Jolla I thought it was prettier than the Cote D'Azur! I think for a romantic weekend you might go somewhere where they offer spa services such as massages etc...
My vote is for rjw's suggestions...
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,
Well I should share some more info - I intend to surprise her with this trip and then propose to her when we're down there .... thats why I was looking for a very romantic place and since it'll only be for the weekend and its such an important occassion I don't mind the cost.

Since I've never been to any of these places I don;t even know where I'll propose but I figure if it s city that is charming and romantic then there'll be lots of places we'll happen upon that will be perfect.

I'll be flying in from Montreal, Canada. (Leave Montreal Friday AM, return Sunday PM).

Thanks,
Neal.
p.s. y'all are really great for being so helpful to a newbie! Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
naelf: also in San Diego, tha la Valencia Hotel in La Jolla is lovely and, like the Parisi, you have the shops, galleries and coves to stroll around, plus a variety of excellent restaurants. If you decide on La Jolla, don't miss lunch at George's upstairs on the terrace. If you would prefer to be in a much quieter, really private place, look at Rancho Valencia. Similar luxury (same owner)but you would need a car to get to anywhere else. Good luck!
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, that should be nealf!
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:01 AM

With the new info I would have to give my vote to Key West. There is nothing more romantic than those beautiful sunsets. You could propose to her on a boat or beach with it in the background.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:16 AM
GoTravel

Neal, since all three places rank similarly (been to all three and don't really have a favorite), I would go to the location that has the shortest travel time.

San Diego with jet lag and travel times would be more of a chore than a fun vacation. As a previous poster said, Key West can also be difficult to get in and out of. New Orleans would be the shortest travel but even that is going to be lengthy.

Can you stay longer than a weekend? How about a 4 day weekend? If you cannot, I would fly someplace closer like NYC.

If money truly is no object, charter a jet but then you are back to square one, where should you go.

Old May 15th, 2003, 10:29 AM

I would have to disagree about San Diego being a chore to get to from Montreal. Granted, a plane change will be involved, but Air Canada, American, Continental, United and US Air all offer service between Dorval and San Diego (the cheapest with Air Canada involves a United Express jet flight from San Francisco). Of the three, Key West is by far the hardest to get to.
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:27 AM
GoTravel

rjw, I am looking at the length of the flight and jetlag concerning San Diego.

Delta has a great flight to Key West! Montreal to Atlanta and Atlanta direct to Key West.

Old May 15th, 2003, 11:48 AM

GoTravel: Oh! Didn't know about the Key West service on DAL. Sorry about that. Then Key West jumps up in ease of travel. It's definitely different from the other choices-- laid-back, non-City, and it should be warm in November.

San Diego will be cooler, but probably not rainy. Fall in coastal California tends to be temperate and beautiful. La Jolla has that "seaside village" feel to it, but you're still in a city. It's cleaner than New Orleans by a mile (and before anyone jumps down my throat, let me say I LOVE New Orleans-- my family is from the bayous around there!)....
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:53 AM

I haven't been to Key West but I certainly disliked New Orleans. Dirty, smelly and stinky! The history and archicture was interesting but it smells like beer, urine, cigarette smoke, beer and urine. There were bits and pieces I liked but we left a day early and I was disappointed. However if you like alcohol, don't mind the smell of cigarette smoke and enjoy sitting in a stinky bar listening to (admittedly good) music and don't mind drunk people it is the place for you.

San Diego is a wonderful city but I wouldn't say it was necessarily romantic. San Fran might fit that better or maybe Santa Barbara as mentioned before. San Diego has lots to do but as mentioned it is a better 'kid' town.

Personally beaches are always romantic....
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:00 PM

That's precisely why I recommend La Jolla instead of downtown San Diego. People think "San Diego" and they think of Sea World (the original!), the Zoo, Balboa Park and the Museums, etc. But people forget all about La Jolla and the romantic qualities therein. One dinner at George's at the Cove, the waves quietly breaking below, and you're lost-- it's truly romantic. However, you are right, Santa Barbara is extremely lovely. And Laguna Beach is still my second choice, moving up the coast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -