Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Romantic Trip To New Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/romantic-trip-to-new-orleans-14307/)

Patsy LaFevre May 7th, 1997 10:06 PM

Romantic Trip To New Orleans

My fiance` and I are planning a trip to New Orleans in July (Whew!) We are high on love but low on cash.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a very reasonably priced hotel, close to or in the Quarter?
Also what is a romantic restaurant also preferably in the French Quarter? Anything else that is a "do not miss" would be helpful! Any suggestions for two people in love??

kelly May 8th, 1997 05:07 PM

Patsy stop at Pat O'Briens and have a couple of Hurricanes you will have a great time and be high on more than love.

Lisa Ryan May 14th, 1997 06:33 PM

We just got back from celebrating our 10th anniversary in New Orleans. My advice is to definitely stay in a B & B (the chamber of commerce has the phone # for the B & B reservation service). Our place (Parkview Marigny) was only $89/night with a private bath and it was gorgeous! Don't miss Irene's Cuisine for a romantic dinner (get there at 5:30 p.m. when it opens), go to Cafe du Monde and sit under the awning sipping coffee while you listen to the street musicians, and go to Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro to hear some great music and drink some "cyclones". You'll love it!

Tami May 19th, 1997 10:05 AM

Don't miss a walking tour throught the Garden District to see Antebellum mansions (really cool architecture). It won't cost you anything and you can even take the St. Charles Street Car out there (very quaint). Go during the day and stop to have lunch at Commander's Palace. It is a 5-star restaurant, but the cost of lunch is a fraction of what dinner would cost there. I ate the most memorable meal of my life there and it is a New Orleans institution. You'll love New Orleans!

Stacey and Roland May 19th, 1997 04:11 PM

We love New Oreleans!!! My husband as of next week is from Lousiana so he was a good tour guide. Be sure to eat at Mister B's.....romantic atmoshere and wonderful food. Walking bourbon street, listening to jazz and dancing was a blast down there. Roland took me for the first time last year and I loved it!!! Have fun, Stacey :>

kate May 20th, 1997 08:25 AM

Watch out for those Hurricane drinks at Pat O'Brien's! One drink has four shots of light and dark rum and more than one drink will ruin your next vacation day..... I speak from experience. Enjoy the music, but keep track of those Hurricanes!

sandy May 23rd, 1997 08:05 PM

Haven't stayed there for a while, but used to love Le Pavillon hotel (nr. The Fairmont). It was (is?) a great bargain for a European-style boutique hotel. Had a great little restaurant, too.

Also loved The Upperline restaurant in the Garden District.

Too many wonderful places to eat and stay in New Orleans.

Have fun!!!

Beth May 29th, 1997 08:50 AM

Ah, New Orleans. My husband and I were there for my birthday last year. We had the most romantic dinner at the Court of the Two Sisters. I think the tab (with a relatively expensive bottle of wine) was around $100. You could certainly do it cheaper. The outside dining in the courtyard is a truly not-to-be-missed experience -- if you can stand the humidity in July. The courtyard is full of old oaks (I think) covered in little white lights. Traditional, creole cuisine. Reservations recommended. We enjoyed just strolling through the French Quarter with no particular agenda in mind. Loved Cafe du Mond. Eased our sorrows of leaving by downing two hurricanes each at Pat O'Brien's before leaving for the airport. You'll have a great time.

phil beatty May 30th, 1997 07:00 PM

Scroll up to previous message about De la Poste Hotel on this Fodors page. Definitely The Court of Two Sisters is romantic but expensive because of tourist draw. Save your money for food experiences and antebellum mansion tour. Also excellent antiquing in surrounding areas but antiques are very expensive in New Orleans itself.