Romantic restaurants in New York City

Jul 20th, 2001, 03:15 PM
mara+fergie

Romantic restaurants in New York City

Does anyone have any good reviews for your favorite romantic restaurant in New York City? Any tips on how to get reservations at a hard to get into restaurant? Thanks in advance...

Jul 20th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Howard

Though some now criticize it, my favorite in the romantic category is still One If By Land TIBS in Aaron Burr's former carriage house in Greenwich Village.
The best tip for getting making reservations at the hard-to-get-into places is to do it early...like exactly one month or 28 days out (depending on the restaurant's reservation policy).

Jul 26th, 2001, 10:50 AM
jo

I don't know if this qualifies as romantic

But I love Oceana (seafood). The atmosphere is upscale and the food is great.

Jul 26th, 2001, 10:59 AM
phil

The best place for NYC restaurant reviews is the Zagat.com website.

It will list their reader's favorite romantic spots and will have a review on each.

One if by land TIBS is nice. However if you are looking for something a little different and much more exotic, try Chez Es Saada.

It is located on 1st Ave. and 1st St. French/Moroccan cuisine, rose petals on the stairs to the downsairs dining area, dark and with great cocktails. The place to go if you are under 35 and still consider yourself hip.

Jul 26th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Valerie

One that I find very romantic is Isle of Capri. As the name suggests, it's Italian. It has very good food and service (much better than anything in Little Italy), and you can sit in a section lining the windows that is somewhat separated from the main body of the restaurant by Roman arches. Just watch your bill when it comes. Like many restaurants in Italy, the guys who run this one aren't above slipping an extra drink onto your bill. Isle of Capri is located at the corner of 61st Street and 3rd Avenue, a block north of Bloomingdales.

Jul 27th, 2001, 06:17 AM
greg

It is scary that my two suggestions (One if by land... and chez es saada were both suggested already. good news for them two restaurants huh? they are really romantic places but i like chez a tad more....the rose petals are just great!! and the rooms below are sooo intimate you'd swear u were in marrakesh.

Jul 27th, 2001, 07:32 AM
NYSue

Do try One if by Land, Two if by Sea. Simply spectacular. Plus, they have a resident ghost!!!!!!!

Jul 29th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Allyson

One of my favorite romantic restaurants in the city is a tiny French place called Chez Michallet in the West Village. Truly wonderful and very romantic. I also suggest Blue Hill, also in the Village. Sensational food, intimate setting and quite reasonable. I highly recommend both places. Enjoy!

Jul 30th, 2001, 12:38 PM
emily

The above choices are good. I also like Mamalouk. It is a prix fix menu, with about 5 or 6 courses. There are only 2 seatings, I think at 7 and 9:30p. Choose the later seating. It is dark, small, and really good.