Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   romantic restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/romantic-restaurants-223347/)

jay May 21st, 2002 10:58 AM

romantic restaurants

My wife and I are planning on spending a night in the city and was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on romantic, up scale restaurants. They can be anywhere in the city. Price range from moderate to expensive. Looking for something along the likes of One If By Land, Two by Sea or Tavern. Thanks.<BR>

DUH May 21st, 2002 10:59 AM

WHAT CITY?

jay May 21st, 2002 04:32 PM

New York City

k May 21st, 2002 04:36 PM

One if By Land is much more Romantic than Tavern on the Green and the food is 100% better.<BR>

Statia May 21st, 2002 04:43 PM

Jay:<BR><BR>My husband and I had my birthday dinner at One if by Land this past April and I can not say enough great things about it. We had originally planned for Tavern on the Green, but decided against it due to the negative things I'd seen on this board. We just decided that Tavern would be a bit more touristy than what we were looking for that night.<BR><BR>We were so glad in the end that we'd opted for One if by Land. It was quiet and romantic, the food was wonderful, and the service was superb. It WAS pricey, but we felt it worth the price for a special evening.<BR><BR>They have a website which is easy to find with a search engine. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.<BR><BR>Whatever you decide, enjoy your time in NYC.<BR>

ttt May 22nd, 2002 09:18 AM

ttt

Frank May 22nd, 2002 09:35 AM

Jay: Check out the Box Tree, on East 49th Street. Beautiful townhouse bed and breakfast with accompanying restaurant. Here is what Zagat says:<BR><BR>Opulent" "art nouveau" decor sets the "fantasy" mood at this Midtown French hideaway where "superior" cooking and "celebrity" treatment reinforce its "be in love, fall in love" ambiance; though the hard-hearted say it's "too pretentious by half" and "quite expensive", the majority insists it's "everything a restaurant should be."<BR><BR>

Michelle May 22nd, 2002 09:48 AM

I STRONGLY recommend March. Wonderful, wonderful restaurant in a very nice location and terrific food (can you tell I really like it?? heehee). Location: 405 East 58th between First Avenue and Sutton Place. Enjoy!!

jw May 22nd, 2002 12:07 PM

Cafe Nopoli on Mulburry and Hester in Little Italy is a great place. They have indoor and sidewalk seating. If you have good weather it is great to sit on the sidewalk hear some great music and "Feel" the city. Not "dark and Quite" romatic... but it certainly makes for romantic fun.

bram May 22nd, 2002 01:56 PM

Babbo on Waverly Place near Washington Square. Owned by Mario Batali-incredible food and service and consistanly rated in the top 5 in NYC.<BR><BR>Enjoy!!<BR><BR>Bram

jay May 22nd, 2002 05:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the posts. So far, One If By Land is the leader. Others that we're considering: Chez Es Saada (Soho), March, and another one that hopefully someone else can tell me about, Candella. Keep coming with the suggestions, they are much appreciated.

jan May 22nd, 2002 05:44 PM

I wish someone had warned us off One If By Land. It was so overrated. Noisy, busy, very mediocre food and service. We felt truly cheated by our experience there. Apparently there are more than a few people who feel the same. Check out the reviews on citysearch.com.<BR><BR>I would highly recommend Gotham Bar and Grill for great food and service, and sophisticated yet welcoming surroundings. We really enjoyed a wonderful evening there.

patty May 22nd, 2002 08:06 PM

Jay there was a fairly recent thread (last contribution was on 5/14 I believe) by someone asking for a romantic restaurant in NYC where they could celebrate their anniversary. You can search for the title NYC Restaurants. <BR><BR>By the way, my main contribution was the same as Michelle's here - March. Love it!

Statia May 23rd, 2002 04:18 AM

Jan:<BR><BR>I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at One if by Land. I'm not saying that you didn't have a bad experience, but I wanted to relate a little of my own experience there.<BR><BR>I can't imagine OIBL being noisy. Were you maybe there when a celebration of some sort was going on? When we were there, we felt that if we talked above a slightly loud whisper, we'd be heard by other patrons over the lovely baby grand piano. We went on a Monday night, so maybe that made a difference.<BR><BR>We also didn't find it busy....we were well served, by all means, but wait staff was not swirling around us, nor were customers. The atmosphere was charming and subdued when we were there.<BR><BR>Also, we're pretty darned picky about food being that my husband trains part time with an award winning chef from Belgium, not to mention the fact that we've eaten at a wide variety of excellent restaurants worldwide. We thought the food was great. Maybe we had a different chef than you did. Anything is possible.<BR><BR>And, if seeing that every detail is taken care of (including refolding your napkin each time you go to the ladies room) is considered mediocre service, then I don't know what I'd expect for great service.<BR><BR>I know that everyone can have different experiences at the same restaurant on different dates, so I just want to reiterate that to Jay.<BR><BR>Had I continally changed our dinner plans for the night we ate at OIBL, due to what I read on this board about every restaurant we chose, we would STILL would be waiting to eat.<BR><BR>Read many reviews, Jay, and then ultimately go with your gut (no pun intended)...and enjoy your night out. Please report back when you return, too. We'd love to hear what you decided and how it went.<BR><BR>

jan May 23rd, 2002 08:37 AM

Statia -<BR><BR>Sure I know these things can happen. When we mentioned to our server that we were expecting a different kind of evening even he replied "Well, yeah, it can get really hectic on a Saturday night". Also, when your server disappears for great lengths of time, and you would like to have another glass of wine or water, or you find that your dinner - ordered medium rare, is decidedly well done - and you cannot get someone's attention, that is not great service, and I don't think I'm being too picky. BTW, on that visit to NYC we also at at Le Bernardin, Gotham B&G, Katz's Deli, Joe's Shangahai - so we do go to a variety of restaurants with a variety of appropriate expectations. Next time you're at OIBL, have your hubby order the so-called cheese plate for dessert and I'd love to know his opinion of that, in particular. Here's to better dining experiences.

Statia May 23rd, 2002 09:19 AM

Jan:<BR><BR>Thanks for more info on your experience at OIBL. Yes, I agree, that sort of experience would upset me too.<BR><BR>Guess we were lucky in that we went on a weeknight. We were delighted with everything that evening. They even brought out a special dessert for my birthday and had spelled my name "correctly" in chocolate on the plate. My name is rarely spelled correctly, so I found this a plus since my husband had made the reservation months prior.<BR><BR>As I said before, I guess it depends on who's working, what day of the week it is, etc. in just about any establishment. Glad the rest of your dining experiences in the city were good ones. <BR><BR>Yes, here's to ALL dining experiences being fantastic in the future....although we won't hold our breaths. Live and learn, right?<BR>

Michelle May 23rd, 2002 10:43 AM

I don't recommend Candela. Food is just "eh", service poor, ambiance not what I would consider romantic.

ryan May 23rd, 2002 11:13 AM

Jay,<BR>Your range of moderate to expensive could mean different things to different people (especially when they are not use to Manhattan's definition of expensive.)<BR><BR>The final cost will also depends on your wine selection. Assuming you get a decent bottle, say a $75 to $100 bottle then: <BR><BR>One if By Land,.etc, will run at least $225 to $250. I'll echo the comments about the food and the room. <BR><BR>Box Tree isn't a bad choice. However, its prices are up there and at those levels, I would think you could do better. I'd put it in the Very Expensive category as it will probably run well over $250. <BR><BR>However, if you are willing to spend that much, I'd put La Grenouille at the top of the list. Figure at least $300. However, it is probably the most attractive dining roon in the city. <BR><BR>On the moderate end, say $150 for both of you, I'd recommend Chez Michallet on Bedford Street in the Village. Nice little place with a great menu. Make a reservation for a window table as the place only has about 10 tables.<BR><BR>At that price, I'd also suggest Rene Pujol on West 51st and 8th Ave.

ryan May 23rd, 2002 11:15 AM

Make that "used to.." Yes, I can spell. I just can't type.

anon May 23rd, 2002 11:16 AM

...and if finding your napkin attended to means great service to you, I'd suggest that we look elsewhere for dining recommendations...