Reload this Page >

Romantic place to stay in Asheville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Aaron

Hi- my wife and I are looking for a romantic place to stay in Asheville for the weekend before Thanksgiving. Any recommendations? The Grove Park is booked up 100% for that weekend. The Richmond Hill is sort of expensive- and based on it's web site doesn't look all that great...

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Aaron

On further investigatin.. i'm considering three different inns...
1. the Wright Inn and Carriage House
2. the Carolina Inn
3. The Pinecrest B&B.

Any familiarity with any of these?

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Austin

Let me be the first to suggest the usual standbys. Since the Grove Park is full, I recommend the Haywood Park Hotel, the Renaissance Asheville Hotel, and the Inn on Biltmore Estate.

Sorry I can't recommend any special or quirky inns or bed-and-breakfasts, but I can recommend the properties I'm familiar with.

Haywood Park is a smallish, all-suite property at the corner of Haywood Street and Battery Park Avenue. Pricey but worth it.

The Renaissance is a modern high-rise, that is typical of luxury/business hotels. The best things about it are the mountain views, plus the fact that, like the Haywood Park, you're in the heart of downtown. The service is also very good here.

The Inn on Biltmore Estate is a luxury hotel on the Biltmore Estate (who knew?), that gets mixed reviews. I personally love it, but some think it's a bit too far removed from area attractions. However, it's a lovely property, and all that you could possibly want to see, including Biltmore House, are very close by.

Other properties that I would give a nod to include the Doubletree Hotel in Biltmore Village, a block from the gates of Biltmore Estate, and, if you don't mind a long but scenic drive, the luxury inn on Lake Lure -- whose exact name escapes me. The Doubletree is new and lovely, not unlike the Inn on Biltmore Estate, while the Lake Lure hotel is a fully restored and vey well-maintained historic property dating from the 1920's with an excellent restaurant and, of course, great views of the lake. It's about 20 miles from Asheville.

Hm... Come to think of it, now that I've mentioned that Lake Lure hotel, I'll also have to go ahead and mention the Esmerelda Inn in Chimney Rock... that is, if you'd want to stay that far out.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:23 AM
danna

Depending on what you consider romantic...you might try the Pisgah Inn. One of my friends goes there every year for her anniversary. It's VERY basic but perched on top of Mt. Pisgah (maybe a 20 min drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville) and has one of the most incredible views (from EVERY room) I've ever seen. The world falling away beneath your feet. But if you want luxury, or you want to walk back to your hotel in the evening (which is what I prefer), look elsewhere.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:20 AM
xxx

I'm not sure if it has closed for the season but The Swag is great. It is outside Asheville. If you can swing it, The Richmond Hill Inn is my first choice.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:17 AM
bw

Returned from a visit to Asheville a few weeks ago and can recommend the 1889 Whitegate Inn. It was wonderful! Close enough to downtown that it was a nice 15-minute walk to all restaurants and shopping. Fantastic breakfasts every morning. Stayed in the cottage for 2 nights, wonderful bed, and fireplace in the living room and a kitchen. Also stayed in one of the suites (Emily Dickinson) and it was very nice. Saw the newest suite, The Walt Whitman Garden Suite that was incredible. I can't say enough good things about this place. The owners were fantastic, wine and cheese social hour was a blast and they recommended several fantastic restaurants and even made the reservations! We found it to be very romantic there.
Here is the link to the website:
http://www.whitegate.net/index.htm

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:22 PM
xxx

Aaron,
Friends of mine love the Swag, although I've never stayed there. I personally love the Inn at Winter Sun. The suite is expensive; but spectacular. The remaining rooms are lovely and the grounds are very nice. Their website is: innatwintersun.com. The suite is very romantic and I promise your wife will love it!