Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Romantic Philadelphia Restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/romantic-philadelphia-restaurant-469063/)

Kate17 Aug 22nd, 2004 01:19 PM

Romantic Philadelphia Restaurant

We are spending an overnight at the Ritz-Carlton for our anniversary (got an amazing rate on Expedia!) I'm looking for a restaurant with a cozy, romantic ambiance. Food quality is important, but we are not gourmets. Fork has been recommended, is it the atmosphere we want? How about Roy's? I thought it might bring back memories of our Hawaiian honeymoon!

Scarlett Aug 22nd, 2004 01:37 PM

Oh Kate, we loved Fork but I would not say it is especially romantic. But I do recommend it.
We had dinner one night in a place called Friday,Saturday , Sunday and that had more of a cozy atmosphere with very good food.
Brasserie Perrier is lovely, Le Bec-Fin also.
Philadelphia is full of really good restaurants, you will be spoiled for choice!

PaulRabe Aug 22nd, 2004 05:31 PM

We celebrated our 20th at Le Bec Fin; Philly's only restaurant rated five stars by both AAA and Mobil guide. There is no question is the most glamorous meal we have ever had. Just two MAJOR disclaimers: its prix fix dinner meal is about $120 WITHOUT drinks, and you must make reservations months in advance. If you want to blow your wallet and you can get a spot, go for it.

elle Aug 22nd, 2004 05:58 PM

One person's romantic could be another person's schmaltz, but here are a few ideas in a variet of price ranges:

--Deux Cheminees, classic French in a gorgeous townhouse setting
--The Inn Philadelphia, another townhouse-turned-restaurant, less upscale than Deux Cheminees
--Astral Plane, romantic in a funky, 1970s way (Parachute silk ceilings).
--Bistro San Tropez. Don't let the odd location of this one (in the boxy, industrial looking Design Center) put you off. Once you are inside, you forget all that. Time your reservation for dusk and watch the sun set over the river, the Art Museum, and the glorious old 30th street train station. Food and wines are excellent, too; and prices are reasonable.
--Beau Monde. My husband and I got engaged here, that's how romantic it is! But it may not be grand enough for you--it's essentially a Breton creperie, but with a gorgeous interior and lovely fireplace.
--Tangerine. Morrocan-chic.
--Lacroix (in the Rittenhouse Hotel). Gorgeous view looking over the square; fabulous food and service.
--Rose Tatoo. Romantic in an old school kind of way--lots of tiny lights, an atrium room.
--Fork. Depends on where you sit. If you have a banquette, or are in one of the curtained-off areas, it can be more romantic. Caution: We went here on our anniversary recently and the served spilled hot <i>jus</i> on my lap.
--Striped Bass. Used to be very romantic. Now under new management (Stephen Starr, same owner as Tangerine and many other restaurants in the city), it has supposedly gone a bit more corporate in its decor.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll think of more. . .

yk Aug 23rd, 2004 05:03 AM

Another vote for Deux Cheminees! Within short walking distance from the R-C, in a cozy building (you barely realize it is a restaurant from the outside). Food is excellent! Never had a bad meal there.

Fork &amp; Roy's are both loud restaurants, I wouldn't recommend it.

pjmay Aug 23rd, 2004 05:20 AM

I've never been there, but Friday, Saturday, Sunday, is consistenly rated as one of Phillys most romantic restaurants.

The Astral Plane is great too.

Kate17 Aug 23rd, 2004 01:45 PM

Thank you so much for your replies! I have narrowed down the choices to Fri. Sat. Sun. or Astral Plane. While Le Bed Fin &amp; Deux Cheminees look wonderful &amp; romantic, I don't think my taste buds are sophisticated enough to enjoy them!lol

pb_and_j Aug 23rd, 2004 02:23 PM

I think Astral plane is more bohemian shabby than romantic, and the location is somewhat in the middle of nowhere...

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Fri Sat Sun's best feature -- the wine list is all priced at $10 above cost. Make a reservation.

Roy's is quite possibly my favorite restaurant in the city (Buddakhan is a strong chanllenger) so I always think it's a good choice!

yk Aug 23rd, 2004 03:12 PM

I've eaten at FriSatSun &amp; Astral Plane &amp; Deux Cheminees.

All 3 are romantic, but in terms of food &amp; service, Deux Cheminees wins hands down!

If you do go to FriSatSun, make sure you have their cream of Mushroom soup. That's their signature dish.