Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Romantic NYC restaurant for 1st wedding anniversary?

May 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

I am seeking a romantic Manhattan restaurant for our 1st wedding anniversary in June. I have lived in NY for 12 years and my husband grew up here, but we're both stumped! We don't really want the cliché romantic restaurants ('One if By Land..' comes to mind) and we've done many of the high-end or trendy restaurants. Now we are just looking for something special. Nice atmosphere (quiet), candlelight, great food & service. Any favorite places to suggest?
May 26th, 2004, 10:20 AM

My wife and I have always liked Chez Michallet. It's a small french restaurant on a quiet street in the Village. The food is very good and they have a nice wine list. It's at 90 Bedford Street.

While I personally think it has lost much of its charm versus what it was like under the old owners, Il Buco at 47 Bond Street is a nice little Mediterranean spot. (It does get higher Zagat ratings now, so I might be in the minority.) It typically features dishes that you could easily share. If they still allow it, ask to have desert in their wine cellar - argueably on the most interesting rooms in NY.
May 26th, 2004, 10:57 AM

We liked One If By Land...

I've heard Chez Josephine touted as wonderful, as well.
May 26th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Chez Josephine is wonderful, but really not romantic. It's very noisy.
My suggestion would be La Grenouille, on E. 52nd St, a truly beautiful and memorable restaurant.
May 26th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. To be honest, we haven't actually seen One If By Land, so we're being a little prejudiced by writing it off just because everyone seems to get engaged there. But maybe we should take a look ourselves! And we have been to Chez Michallet. That's a lovely place and I had forgotten about it. I'll check out the other suggestions too!
May 26th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Lee, One If By Land has a website you could check out. My husband took me there for my birthday a couple of years ago and it was really wonderful. The atmosphere, the food, and the service were all impeccable. I've heard some negative reviews of OIBL on this board, as well, but we really enjoyed it.
May 28th, 2004, 08:48 PM

oibl is nice but dated.Try Erminia,Daniel,Ateiier,The Terrace,Bouley,Chanterelle,
May 31st, 2004, 04:22 PM

That's always a tough one - as you know from living in NY. While I like Bouley very much, I never found Chanterelle very romantic - it's a little too sterile for me. I haven't been to OIBL is many, many years -but it was just voted "most romantic" on some NY tv show. The view at the Mandarin Oriental is fabulous - nothing else like it... Also, haven't been to Cafe Des Artistes in a long time - but I remember it being romantic. Lately, my vote goes to the River Cafe. a very special place....
May 31st, 2004, 04:50 PM

I AGREE WITH THE RECOMMENDATION FOR RIVER CAFE..........
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:27 AM

Le Grenouille is a spectacular restaurant. However, the main dining room is undergoing a renovation and I believe only the private, upstairs room is open. However, I didn't look at the closely at the sign when I walked by on Friday, so perhaps they are done with the major renovation work that clearly had the dining room closed earlier in May.