Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Romantic Inn for Charleston December Getaway (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/romantic-inn-for-charleston-december-getaway-232314/)

debbie Jun 18th, 2002 02:40 PM

Romantic Inn for Charleston December Getaway

Looking for a romantic inn (don't want a B&B) to take hubby for a long weekend in December for his b'day. Like the looks of Charleston Place, but just a bit pricey, as we will need airfare (from Boston) as well.<BR><BR>Would like to be walking distance to center of town and want something with subdued elegance rather than frills.<BR><BR>Also, what is the weather like in beginning of December? Do prices increase this time of year?

cate Jun 18th, 2002 05:49 PM

Just returned from Charleston. We stayed at the John Rutledge House Inn. It was very nice but a bit of a walk to the market and east bay area. It is doable but you will need comfortable walking shoes. We stayed in the Carriage House we had a spacious room with king four poster bed.<BR> Charleston Place is a big and fairly sterile new looking hotel. The locations of the following are good, but you will have to check the web sites to determine rooms.<BR>Vendue Inn near mkt, good stretch of nice restaurants and the water<BR><BR>King's Courtyard Inn<BR><BR>Two Meeting Steet Inn is a beautiful Charleston grand home at the waters edge in the Battery. Great walking area of fine homes.<BR>Can't help you with weather but can recomned SNOB and Penninxula Grill as places to have a lovely dinner.

Amber Jun 26th, 2002 01:10 PM

Try the Mills House. It is a Holiday Inn owned property, and has a wonderful breakfast every morning. The King Charles Inn is also nice.

Danna Jul 1st, 2002 08:10 AM

Weather is a total crap shoot at the beginning of December. Anything from high 70's and sunny to cold 40 degree rain. Watch the weather channel closely and pack accordingly.

Denise Jul 2nd, 2002 10:47 AM

The Vendue Inn is also lovely and in a great location. Stayed there a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. We've also been to the Meeting Street Inn and King's Courtyard. These are all small inns not B&Bs. The owners of King's Courtyard also own another inn next door and I would think they would be similiar.

Janet Jul 2nd, 2002 10:52 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Wentworth Mansion and loved it. The rooms are spacious, have fireplaces, hot tubs and the service is wonderful. There is a 5 star restaurant on the property and the pecans buns at breakfast are to die for.

Jim Jul 4th, 2002 05:43 PM

I would recommend the Mills House Inn too. It is in the heart of the city, easy walking distance to everything.

Amanda Aug 1st, 2002 06:45 AM

I would recommend either the Jasmine House or Meeting Street Inn. Both are fabulous and situated in teh heart of downtown. As someone else posted, weather is iffy. It can be hot or cold depending on what mather nature feels like at the moment. It certianly will not be as hot and humid as it tends to be during the summer.

me Aug 1st, 2002 09:22 AM

Also vote for Vendue Inn, usually reasonable and completly fabulous. Charleston Place is not worth the money, rooms are nicer at Vendue and better location. Also I have heard 4 Water Street is unbelievable.

Anita Aug 1st, 2002 09:52 AM

Here's another vote for Wentworth Mansion. The rooms are absolutely beautiful, luxurious, and very romantic.

Margaret Aug 8th, 2002 08:06 PM

I love the Vendue Inn. It is wonderfully situated near the waterfront park, near South Battery and the market. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.<BR><BR>Romantic restaurants: Charleston Grill (in Charleston Place) Pennsula Grill in Planter's Inn and McCrady's.<BR><BR>I've been to Charleston a number of times and the Vendue Inn has been my favorite. In mid-July I paid @ $150/night. Best thing though it's within walking distance to everything.<BR><BR>Have a great time!

Cathi Aug 8th, 2002 08:16 PM

I am sorry if this sounds like a silly question but was wondering what the difference is between an INN and a B&B?<BR>If both are in houses then what constitutes the difference?<BR>I have never stayed in a B&B for the main fact of privacy. I don't like having to share breakfast with the owners etc. My sister in law, on the other hand, loves B&B's and wouldn't stay at any other type of establishment. ..<BR>we don't get away much so when we do I like it to be more private.

chellolive Aug 9th, 2002 09:14 AM

we stayed at the french quarter inn in charleston and it was great! Their website is gqicharleston.com check out there internet specials. they have champagne and lady fingers at check in a nightly wine and cheese social. the inn was clean and comfortable. oh yeah! romantic and private.

sandy Aug 9th, 2002 09:03 PM

I would highly, highly recommend the french quarter inn. We just got back and we got a fabulous internet special. I found out about it on this site. champagne at check in, wine and cheese at 5:00pm, breakfast in bed, and warm cookies and milk every evening. Luxurious without being frilly. Close to everything. I would go back in a minute!!

Eva Sep 21st, 2002 11:43 AM

We just got back from a fabulous trip to Charleston. We stayed at French Quarter Inn and would recommend it highly. Their website is at www. fqicharleston.com It's a small hotel, new and pretty. Not stuffy but great service. Excellent location.<BR>Best dinners at Charleston Grill, Anson, S.N.O.B. and lunch in courtyard at 82 Queen St. Maybe Dec. would be too chilly for that, but we were told they also have 11 different din.rooms inside !<BR>Have a great trip ! It was our first time to Charleston and we loved every minute.