Reload this Page >

Romantic hotel/inn in Southern California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Kati

My husband and I will be staying at the beautiful Ritz Carleton in April for business. While in the area, we are going to take a few extra days to try another place. We are looking for a really special, romantic "luxury" type hotel/inn on a smaller scale. (Budget is not a factor)
We will have a car and don't mind driving. We were thinking of the Santa Barbara Area. Or, of course, San Diego area would make sense.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Barbara

Kati, take a look at L'Auberge Del Mar, in Del Mar, just north of San Diego. the hotel is lovely, close to the beach, but right in town and close to shopping and restaurants.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Gwen

The San Ysidro Ranch is an interesting option adjacent to SB. No ocean views, but a very nice yet unstuffy place. Very expensive, though. Very informative website with pics of rooms...all of which are unique.
JFK and Jackie O honeymooned there, and Churchill penned his memoirs there.
The better rooms are in separate 'cabins' with private outdoor jacuzzis on the deck, skylights, fireplaces, separate bedrooms, etc.
This was the best I could find in SoCal in my search for a luxury inn for a weekend getaway. Water views would have made it unbeatable.
Simpson House is another option in SB which some peole really like.
There are a couple interesting places in Malibu but not as luxurious as I was looking for (as best as I could tell).

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:17 AM
kam

El Encanto in Santa Barbara---which Ritz Carlton? Laguna, Pasadena or Marina Del Rey? You might want to consider the Ritz Carlton Huntington in Pasadena

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:37 AM
xxx

check out some hotels in laguna beach - between l.a. & san diego. beautiful location. or consider driving up the cost to carmel or monterey. beautiful drive and nice area.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:49 AM
xxx

Which Ritz Carlton resort are you staying at in April? If it's the one in Laguna Niguel, there's really no need to stay in Laguna. If you like warm weather, you might want to think about going to the former Ritz Carlton resort in Rancho Mirage (now called the Lodge) in the Palm Springs area.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:47 AM
toldham

la valencia in la jolla is pretty great

shutters in santa monica is also well liked by many

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:54 AM
sss

The Four Seasons Aviara (close to San Diego). Absolutely amazing!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Mark

Shutters on the Beach is waaaay overpriced, and even if it weren't overpriced, it just isn't all that great. I always shoo people away from there if they're looking for a luxurious retreat and are used to very nice places.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Kati

Oops, didn't realize there were so many in CA. We are staying at the Laguna Ritz.
Anyone stayed at The new St.Regis? I understand it very close to the Ritz.
All the posts I've read say they are open, but not quite up to full steam.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Melissa

We just love the Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado, California. The ocean view suites in the victorian building are delightful. The service is always first rate.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Renee

How about the Channel Road Inn in Santa Monica - lovely B&B. Or, Simpson House Inn in Santa Barbara - I've never stayed there but I've been meaning to by the description in a travel book i have. Supposed to be incredible. has anyone stayed there?

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:46 PM
Kati

Just wondering if Hotel Del Coronado has been refurbished lately.
I remember seeing many years ago charming, but in need of a facelift.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
calif native

The St. Regis is directly across the street from the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel. It has been up and running for a few months now. The restaurant "Aqua" has received good reviews.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
barbara

The Willows in Palm Springs is as good as it gets- and a little different, being in the desert. They have a website showing each of their rooms. Rate ranges from about 395.00-550.00 per night.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Heather

Definately Coronado in San Diego and for Santa Barbara, either El Encanto or the Biltmore (right on the ocean).

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Dayle

I love the Ballard Inn just outside of Solvang, inland from Santa Barbara. they have about 16 rooms, each individually decorated. Excellent restaurant & a big wrap around porch for relaxing with your hors d' ouvres & wine in the late afternoon (included, as is breakfast). The tiny town of Ballard is only a 4 way stop and is in the heart of the wine country. Charming little town of Los Olivos is nearby with tasting rooms and a couple galleries.