Romantic getaway in the Southeast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to get away for a long weekend in October. We live in Atlanta and would like something within a 6 hour drive. We were thinking of trying something in the NC or TN mountain areas. Our preference would be something close to good hiking and biking with upscale accommodations and good food/ wine. Ideally, we would have a private outdoor hot tub. We tried Blackberry Farm and their sister property Dancing Bear but both are booked. I would prefer not to do a B&B as I was looking for a little more privacy.

I know I am being picky but the perfect place might just be out there right?! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Try the Grove Park Inn or Mast Farm Inn.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM

You might try the Cloister, Sea Island. Great time of year to be on the coast. Low humidity. Lower, but still warm, temperatures. Not sure you'll find a hot tub, though.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM

I've never been there but I would look into the Swag in Waynesville, NC. It is close to Asheville and looks very nice. Would also look at Grove Park Inn.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the Grove Park Inn is booked as well. I have sent a request to Mast Farm. I like the Cloister suggestion but we have been to the beach a few times recently and we were looking to do something different this time.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 05:26 PM

We really liked the Arbor House Inn in Black Mountain, NC; it's a B&B, but we had plenty of privacy. We spent a day touring the Biltmore estate and enjoyed that.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM

I second the Cloister on Sea Island having just been there in June.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM

ttt - please don't post the same thing over & over.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM

We always enjoy Crooked Oak Mountain Inn in Asheville. It's a B&B, but it's private... you feel like you're sitting tucked away from civilization in the beautiful mountains, but a short drive down puts you right downtown in Asheville near wonderful restaurants. There's not an outdoor jacuzzi, but at least one room includes one. It might be hard to grab that room in October, but I think you'd still enjoy the Crooked Oak.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM

Have you looked at The Snowbird Mt Lodge in Robbinsville, NC?

My husband and I stayed last fall and were very pleased.

We had a private area with a hot tub, great food, extensive wine list, and beautiful hiking all around.

Our favorite area is Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest.

Just do a search, I'm not good at posting links.

Good luck.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM

We're doing a getaway to Jekyll Island in mid-October. It's not really on the beach, but rather a marshland/river setting and is within your driving parameters.

Our other option was the Inn at Biltmore House in Asheville, NC. They have availability the weekend of the 12th, btw.

Have you considered Reynolds Plantation at Lake Oconee? If you didn't want the outside activity you could stay at the new Mansion in Buckhead; my friend just stayed there for a weekend 50th bash for one of her girlfriends and said it was fantastic. Apparently they have decent inaugural rates.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM

You probably already realize this, but you can stay elsewhere and visit the Grove Park. One of our most romantic get aways was staying at the Crooked Oak Mountain Inn in Asheville, and spending the afternoon at the spa at Grove Park. We had massages, and enjoyed their multiple pools, etc. It was wonderful. Also, Crooked Oak offers in room couple massages... therapists bring their tables and come in and offer this service, so you don't even have to leave. Some day we plan to do this, and pick up food from town and hang out there for the w/e. It's a very relaxing place. But the spa at Grove Park is worth the money...just plan to spend enough time to enjoy it!