Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Romantic Destination in New England States to Elope

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fiance and I are planning to elope next summer. First thought was Martha's Vineyard, but we'd like to explore some other destinations in the New England area as well. We enjoy staying at charming bed and breakfasts and inns. Please help us find the perfect place!

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 03:12 AM

I have the perfect place for you. Last year(Sept) we stayed at the BAR HARBOR MANOR beautiful room with a gas open fire and open porch.We took the special package deal they offer; 2 nights plus a lobster dinner and a whale watching excursion. We payed 363 $ for two,tax incl. It's a great little town and you have the only National Park in the 6 N. England states;Acadia N.Park. Check their website :www.barharbormanor.com Have a nice elopement. Paul
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:04 AM

hi, congrats! how ever will you keep the secret for so long?
in lovell, maine there is a very charming small b&b called www.centerlovellinn.com it is about 5 mins from kezar lake, which was voted one of 10 most beautiful in america by national geographic magazine. inn has great views of white mtns. excellent restaurant. outstanding wine cellar. wonderful hiking opportunities. is close enough to north conway for shopping. is near good rafting. lots of other fine dining near by.
i too like bar harbour but it is an extremely busy place, but no more so than the vineyard. if you go there try to go over to schoodic point. it is dramatic and stunning and has NO shopping or anything else - just rocks and ocean. go when the tide is coming in.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:49 AM

I always thought of an elopement as a sudden, last minute thing, dashing off to Gretna Green, etc. Are we now so Filofaxed that even an elopement is scheduled a year in advance?

Anyway, congrats, good luck keeping your plans a secret, and hope you find the perfect inn. But would you prefer mountains or beach? Does your definition of "charming" fall on the rustic or elegant side of the budget line? (With MV as your first choice, I'm guessing the latter, but...).
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I will check into both suggestions. "Secret," I'm sure it won't remain. But what do you call it when you go off to marry without family? Is there a word or phrase for it? Someone please tell me so I don't sound so "fixated." Next summer, because I am a school teacher and only have two personal days to take off in a school year with no "spring break." My fiance and I love to travel, lots, in the summer since I have two months off. So we thought during next summers travels we'd get married. We've always wanted to visit the New England area, hearing it's so beautiful. Also, I thought that in some areas you have to book reservations early, especially in MV with ferry tickets. Is that not so?

"Rustic or elegant side of charming," when looking at different accomodation choices in MV, Beach Plum Inn and Thorn Croft caught our attention. Last summer we stayed at several "Four Sisters" properties on the west coast and loved our stay. I guess I'd describe our likings as quaint, old-fashion. We try to avoid touristy neighborhoods of towns/cities, such as Times Square in New York and Duval Street in Key West. Prefered Sonoma over Napa. Hopefully this will help in making suggestions for us. I guess I'm not too good at describing our likes.

Thanks again for the suggestions! Much appreciated!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:22 AM
jtp

The first place that comes to mind is: The Castle Hill Inn , Newport Rhode Island -- splurge witht he Turret Room and I suspect you can get a Minister of The Peace to perform the service actually in the Turret Room if not on the grounds --
or, Twin Farms in Barnard, VT. also beautiful -