Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   romance in Williamsburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/romance-in-williamsburg-561336/)

lro1012 Sep 28th, 2005 08:18 AM

romance in Williamsburg

My husband and I are planning a little getaway to celebrate our 28th anniversary. We live in Virginia Beach and can only get away for one night, someplace close. He isn't much of one to stay at a bed and breakfast, but would love to stay someplace special. Other than the Williamsburg Inn or Kingsmill, any other suggestions?

Birdie Sep 28th, 2005 08:28 AM

The Fife & Drum B&B on Prince George St. is a little different because it is not in someone's home. It is located above the PG shops and is more like an Inn. You can also check on the Providence Hall wing rooms at the Inn. They are in a separate building and often have lower rates than the main building. They're large and have private balconeys and patios.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Sep 28th, 2005 09:45 AM

You could also check to see if any of the houses that Colonial Willismburg uses for lodging are private (eg: only 1 unit in the building). Phone is 1-800-HISTORY

Held this Sunday is "Occasion for the Arts" (or similar wording) with various music venues, all free, and the streets of Merchants' Square will be set up with various artists displaying & selling their products. A festive atmosphere that I first found by accident but have returned several times for. Will be down to the Burg late Saturday thru Monday for it, before visiting VaBeach. Hope the weather cooperates!

A place that looked very charming was the Princess Anne cottages. I know that it is now owned by Westgate, who are renovating the former Heritage Inn. Westgate is also into the business of selling timeshares. I don't know if staying at Princess Anne is still a nice experience, or if things have changed; maybe they'll hound you to death hawking timeshares ... but it WAS a beautiful spot with many "cottage" type rooms, mostly 2 units per building and worth looking into.

Birdie Sep 28th, 2005 11:03 AM

Enjoy Occasion, Rb. We will be out of town for it and I am very disappointed.
I don't have any interesting new restaurants to recommend so let us know if you discover something.

Underhill Sep 28th, 2005 03:17 PM

If it's romance and coddling that you want, I can't imagine anywhere better than the Williamsburg Inn. Afternoon tea in the "living room" is delightful, and the dining room does excellent meals. Then you can walk around the historic town in the evening and imagine yourselves back in colonial days.

kmchick Sep 28th, 2005 04:57 PM

FYI

Pints and Pipes is open again! The atmosphere isn't just quite the same, but the food is the same!

Birdie Sep 29th, 2005 04:35 AM

There was an article today in the local paper about a tall ship docked in Yorktown that offers a sunset sail and "Boat" and Breakfast for $240. It is offered May-October. They can be reached at Yorktown Sailing Charters 757 639-1233 or [email protected]. Perhaps not what you are looking for but I thought it worth mentioning.
You can also take the sunset sails and daily sails without staying overnight.

cheapbutnice Sep 29th, 2005 07:02 AM

I would recommend that you consider 1 of the Colonial House units. If available, they are around $139 and are actually nice hotel rooms inside of a colonial building. We recently had one near the Williamsburg Inn and enjoyed the beauty of the WI, the privacy of the Colonial House and the convenience of the historic area. There were at least 6 rooms in our House. My favorite restaurant is the closed Williamsburg Lodge but recently enjoyed the Blue Talon, just off the Square.Enjoy & Congrats.

dorkforcemom Sep 29th, 2005 07:20 AM

Another vote for one of the Colonial Houses. At a fraction of the Williamsburg Inn cost, you still enjoy the amenities (concierge services for reservations, afternoon on their big back porch with the croquet,golf view, apertif, checkin and checkout at the Inn but the Houses themselves have a charm all their own. We stayed in one last October for a long weekend and would do so again. Happy 28th!

obxgirl Oct 3rd, 2005 05:40 PM

I agree with all of the suggestions here for romantic stays. I'd add that an evening carriage ride around the historic area can be very charming.

rb, I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier in the week as I was one of the artists exhibiting at the Occasion for the Arts. You were here so you know what a pretty weekend it was. Gorgeous weather and a great event.

Happy 28th to your Iro. Please let us know how you decide to celebrate!