romance in San Fran and Napa Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Me

Hello-
My g/f and I are flying to San Fran over New Year's.

I'm looking for a quiet but very romantic place to ask my g'f to be my wife--perhaps a sunset somewhere and then off to a spectacular dinner. (Is French Laundry as wonderful as I have heard--how hard is it to get a reservation?)

I would also appreciate suggestions on lodging. I plan to stay 4-5 nights in the city and 2-3 out in the wine country. A small B&B would be ideal or maybe even a boutique hotel--in other words, places w/character and good service. Ideal price point is about $150-175/nt.

Thanks,
The boyfriend

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 05:56 PM
cleo

I don't buy it. Sounds like a travel writer or lonely hearts to me.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:01 PM
kim

My husband and I stayed last May at Yountville Inn. It was wonderful. The rooms are very spacious with stone fireplace, some with balcony or patio. They had the best continental breakfast I've ever seen, included in the room price. Very close (walking distance) to many great restaurants.

We loved the French Laundry. It was a great experience, both the service & food were wonderful. Would make a great celebration place. We were there for several hours enjoying the courses & wine parings. You must call 2 months to the day you want your reservation. We got through by setting the phone on autoredial. Good luck.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Me

Thanks, Kim. I am going to work on the dinner reservation this morning!

Cleo--I hate to be the one to tell you but your psychic powers aren't working...neither prediction is right. I'm just a guy who wants to make my proposal special. Better dust off that crystal ball.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:06 AM
xxx

I will try to help. Yes, the French Laundry is incredible and would be a meal you will never forget(it will cost around $400). It is very hard to get reservations; but if you call the restaurant, they may offer advice on obtaining a reservation. You have to call two months (to the day) ahead. Set your phone on auto redial several minutes before they open. If you are able to get a reservation, they usually will help with surprises and special occasions. As for hotels try one or more of the Four Sisters Inns. The White Swan in SF has a lot of character. For the price, it is one of my favorite places to stay in SF. They have several other inns throughout SF and Napa and often offer deals if you stay in one or more during your trip (www.foursisters.com). If you know of anyone who can arrange a private winery tour (ie, a wine store owner,etc.) do so. My husband once surprised me with a day of private tours and tastings with gifts at each stop and it was very romantic. Good luck!!!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:54 AM
C.nom

Look at your other post. People are still responding over there. Y'er leaving them high and dry.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:58 AM
once again

Hey there C.nom... he DID say in the other post where he was going... use your noggin will ya? don't post these things when you are so ill-informed. please please try to keep up

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Huh

He said he was going to Napa. Did he say he was starting a new thread? If so, I apologize. If not, sorry, I used to be a psychic, but I'm not anymore.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:19 PM
xxx

Give the guy a break. I think he's doing a great job at keeping us informed and asking informative questions. He's obviously doing his homework and has booked airline tickets and all ready knows the best restaurant in town.

Proposing to her in the vineyards would be private and very romantic. You might be able to make special arrangements with one of the less commercialized wineries. I've always loved Cakebread Winery. A wonderful chardoney.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:54 PM
haha

To once again--first of all, it's not "payting" attention. Second, what's with the lame attempt to try to talk all cool? Like "use your noggin will ya?" and on the other thread you talk about "'tude" and call someone "hon." You also need to get a primer on the definition of sarcasm.

All you've done here is try to come down on other posters with this immitation jive talk. What are you, 50+ trying to act 17? Or a Soprano "wannabe?" Either way, you're just a joke, so please, please go away and don't try to keep up.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Me

Hi,
Thanks once again to all the helpful posters out there. I appreciate all your advice, support and best wishes.

The plans are shaping up. As I posted yesterday, plane tickets are set. Today, I managed to book our lodging--we're staying in Yountville for 2 nts. The people at the Yountville Inn have been GREAT so far. No luck getting a reservation at French Laundry, but did get thru and explained my situation and they'll see what opens up...I considered booking us at a boutique hotel in SF but decided to use Marriott rewards and be practical. Has anyone been to the Renaissance Stamford Court?

All I have left is to reserve a car (using miles for that too) and decide which wineries to visit. How's Joseph Phelps? Has anyone gone there? Opus??

I'd love to do a private winery tour but am unsure how to go about arranging it--which wineries entertain such a request and any idea how much something like that runs? I figure I'll make some phone calls next week and find out--any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Me

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:46 AM
Sharon

The Stamford Court is an old Nob Hill hotel. Didn't know it was managed by Renaissance. It was lovely and old fashioned the last time I was there which was quite some time ago...

There are services that drive you to the wineries and make reservations at ones that are not necessarily open to the public. We have used them before with another couple and I'll try to find out which one we liked. One was great and the other one was ghastly. (all depends on the driver)

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Me

Hi Sharon--
If you do come across that info, I'd be indebted to you. I'll also call the B&B and see what they recommend.

Me

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 10:14 AM
xxx

Everyone on this post is excited for you, and I hope you will let us all know how your trip was. I've been married for almost 30 yrs. and I wish you the same luck and happiness we have. I am the one who did the private tours and my husband said he arranged the tours through a wine distributor in our city (he has done business with him). I'm sure you can contact the wineries of your choice and at least have one or two private tours. My favorite two were Silver Oaks and Matanzas Creek (in Sonoma). Look at old posts for others that appeal to you and email the winery. My husband had requested small gifts at each one, wine glasses, lavender soap, etc., including a special bottle of Silver Oak Cab. bottled the same year our son was born. Just some ideas! I think you should propose early in the trip-you will feel better and she will be thrilled. Ask other Fodors for a beautiful place (not your room!) where you can return in the future (you can't tell your children you proposed to Mommy in a hotel room!).I apologize for the motherly advice; but it comes naturally.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Me

This post sunk down the list quite a bit but since some of you have been incredibly helpful, I wanted to say thanks!

Everything's in place--have the winery tour organized, the car's rented and the jeweler will have the ring ready by the middle of next week. Oh, and I've already earned big brownie points b/c my g/f thought she was going to end up planning our New Year's get-away! Little does she know what's in store. I told her that my company's travel agent found us a great deal to San Fran and the Napa Valley but other than that, she doesn't have a clue. We're going home next week for Thanksgiving and I will sneak off and talk to her dad; he seems to like me so that should go well!We just have to get thru Christmas and...

Thanks y'all!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 03:53 PM
madge

Thanks for reporting back. It's always nice when the original poster comes back for a follow up.

Now for the important question. Have you figured out where & when you'll actually pop the question?

Hope all goes well with talking with the Dad. Just be sure he can keep a secret! You sound like you've really put a lot of thought, time & effort into this, and your future wife is a lucky girl. Please be sure to return with another follow up post after New Years.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 03:57 PM
skip

...uhh huh...

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Me again and again

Hi Madge--
I have a plan in store. The owner of the B&B helped a great deal getting things organized. I'm afraid to jinx myself and tell you the plan but will let you know after we come back from the trip.

As for her dad, am not too worried about him giving anything away. If he's not talking about college football, he's pretty quiet. Her mom, on the other hand, could be a problem!

Keep your fingers crossed.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Susan

That is so funny. My mother actually couldn't talk to me during the period between when my husband asked her for "permission" and when he finally asked me. I was starting to wonder why she was always on her way out the door when I would call! Good luck and congratulations!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 05:21 PM
LINDA

My husband and i fell in love with The Cottage Inn and Spa in Sonoma - about 45 min drive north of SF. It's better than SF and definately romantic. Sonoma is more casual and less developed than Napa. You can find this place on the bed & breakfast web sites or www.cottageinnandspa.com. Definately romantic, relaxing and a place we hope to return. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -