Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Romance in Anna Maria Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/romance-in-anna-maria-island-338667/)

joan Jul 19th, 2003 04:57 AM

Romance in Anna Maria Island

Hi all! Looking for a two night romantic anniversary getaway in August...to Anna Maria Island. We want to dine at the Beach Bistro (is it still fabulous? or is there someplace better?) and are looking for beachfront accommodations nearby...the website lists are endless. Prefer small and classy, mom and pop okay if it's *nice*. Any ideas? Thank you!

OliveOyl Jul 19th, 2003 07:26 AM

Hi Joan and Happy Anniversary!! I don't know about "classy" there, it does seem to be mostly Mom & Pop doesn't it? We have a friend here who swears by Harrington House, but we haven't tried it personally. What about seeing if you could rent a house? There are some beautiful ones going up there! We are in the market by the way for some place we can buy to rent out now, then live in a few years from now, here, there, or Siesta Key....saw some phenomenal places in Tierra Verde yesterday, all of it about a million five over our budget! lol If you hear of something out your way, holler!

joan Jul 21st, 2003 05:24 AM

Thanks so much Olive! Harrington House looks good - we're checking it out. I would prefer a house, that's a great idea, but don't know if they're rentable for only 2 nights...

It would be awesome to have you as a neighbor! I dislike Tierra Verde (no trees!) but can understand someone with a boat wanting to live there - very convenient. Anyway I have some ideas, will email you!

Anyone else with accommodations ideas for Anna Maria???

LN Jul 21st, 2003 05:46 AM

I have been really combing my brain for places that rent by the night and haven't come up with any so far. There are a couple that are closer to Bradenton beach and oh, I just thought, if you can't find one you might try Silver Sands - check for them on google. com and they have rental units on Longboat Key (where I have a place) and just above on Anna Maria. Their places are very comfortable and, I believe, recently redone. On Longboat SS is on the beach and I don't know if it is on Anna Maria.

You've picked a beautiful area - we fell in love with it and finally were able to get a place there. Beach Bistro is still fabulous - If I remember any others I'll post them

Enjoy - that is one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere!

LN Jul 21st, 2003 06:03 AM

I thought I'd pass on someone else's tips and yes, the Key Club is a beautiful place that's pretty posh. And you'd still have Beach Bistro or you could also add Euphemia Haye restaurant which is also a Zagat winner and wins all sorts of awards each year.

You decide what you'd like - I'm only trying to offer some suggestions - wherever you pick - you'll love.

Author: cookie707
Date: 07/21/2003, 07:56 am
Message: My husband and I visit Longboat Key (the Longboat Key Club--www.longboatkeyclub.com) every summer with or without our son. We've been coming here for 15 years (we're in our 40s now). This is the place to go for pampering (affordable) without feeling like you're out of your league! It's a resort--so there's golf, tennis, sailboat rental and lots of beach to roam for very long, undisturbed walks. We always try to reserve a room in Building 4, because the rooms face the Gulf of Mexico directly and you can hear the surf--they don't usually set out the beach chairs at that end of the beach, so you see total nature! We save all year to stay at this resort. Have also stayed at The Colony Beach and Tennis Resort, but it's too big for our comfort, and there are only a few casita-type rooms directly on the beach. From the rooms, you can't see the beach, but you can walk to it within minutes. Both resorts have wonderful restaurants too, but St. Armand's Circle offers everything and anything in all price ranges for eating. Tommy Bahama's Cafe is one of our favorites. Lots of unique shops, and don't forget to have ice cream or fudge at Kilwin's (next to Tommy Bahama's)--the best ice cream around!

The Longboat Key Club is our long lost paradise--we'd rather go there than to Hawaii (we've been to Maui, but Longboat is so much closer and less expensive and just plain wonderful)!

Hope this helps if you decide to stay closer to Tampa (about 1-1/2 hours from Tampa International Airport).

joan Jul 21st, 2003 09:39 AM

LN, Thanks so much for thinking of me! Ironically, we've stayed at Longboat Key Club - and enjoyed it. I remember we brought our bikes with us and used the bike path to get ourselves to Euphemia Haye - we loved that restaurant - but wow what a long long ride back to the hotel! This time we (I - it's a surprise!) wanted something right on Anna Maria. Do you think we could just go there midafternoon and not reserve ahead? This will be for a Tue/Wed in August - probably a slow time? I admit I'm a "reserve ahead" type of gal, but if there's alot to choose from, maybe this is the way to go?

LN Jul 21st, 2003 02:41 PM

Hi again

Euphemia Hay is a truly great restaurant but I'm not certain if it's open in mid-afternoon and I'd wonder about beach Bistro too. There are some really good places to eat around there. You might try calling them to learn their hours cause August is kinda slow.

Also, if you're staying up on Anna Maria you might want to try "Duffys" for a hamburger!!

I would guesstimate that Euphemia's about 4 miles north of the Key Club.

joan Jul 21st, 2003 04:55 PM

Oops! I'm sorry LN I meant to imply the *hotel* arrival for midafternoon...but we'll def check out Duffy's for a burger!

Thanks!

Maggi Jul 21st, 2003 06:19 PM

Hey Joan, happy anniversary! Hope you two lovebirds have a great anniversary. Neat idea, making it a surprise.

I know you, like us, prefer villa rentals. Here are a few I have bookmarked for future reference: www.palmtreevillas.com
www.cedarcoveresort.com
http://www.turtlebeachresort.com/rainforest.htm

Let me know what you ended up with!

joan Jul 22nd, 2003 04:29 AM

Gosh Maggi girl you sure do get around!

These are wonderful suggestions, just what I had in mind...thanks so much! I'll let you know what we do.