Search

Anaheim and What???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anaheim and What???

Hi there! Looks like my husband and I may be headed to Anaheim in February so he can attend a conference while I tag along. Anaheim Sheraton is the hotel we'll be staying at.

As neither of us have ever been to Southern Ca I'd love to take the opportunity before or after conference to do some exploring. But what to do?

I'd say we'd be more interested in scenery more than anything else. I love art and architecture; hubby not so much but if it involved a nice leisurely stroll...

Good food would be nice as well...

We do love the beach (but only know the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico.)

So with this information; what direction do you suggest we head if we have 3 extra days and a rental car? San Diego? Beaches? Up Highway 1? I visited Carmel/Big Sur last year without hubby and really enjoyed that drive from SF. Thanks in advance for any info to get me planning.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Hi Lisa,

If you want to stay in the area and for art and architecture, be sure to visit the Getty, awesome for both.

Spend a day in Laguna Beach too for both!

If you want to get out of southern CA, how about a visit up to the Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez area for countryside and wine tasting? Excellent wineries there.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Hi Lisa I would definately second the suggestion of the Santa Barbra area. It is lovey and yes I think a nice stroll around the town and court house would fill the need for art and architecture. The small town of Solvang is also interesting and very near by. Wendy
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Any or all the above suggestions would be great; there's an infinite number of things to do within 3 days if you have a car.

For something nearby, maybe when your husband is in conference, the Nixon Presidential Library, museum and birthplace are almost next door in Yorba Linda. Definitely worth a couple hours. For architecture nearby -- how about the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove?! Also has a cool pipe organ but the name escapes me
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM

February is too cold for swimming even in southern CA. If you go to a beach destination anticipate beach combing not sun tanning in February.

The only place warm enough in CA for swimming in February is Palm Springs and there you tan and swim at swimming pools.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
dmlove

The only place warm enough in CA for swimming in February is Palm Springs and there you tan and swim at swimming pools.

Maybe if you're from Minnesota or Barrows, Alaska . Otherwise, Palm Springs is not swimming weather in February either (highs in the upper 60s).

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I think a stroll along Venice Beach would also fill a need for "art" and "architecture."
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 03:34 PM
dmlove

I think a stroll along Venice Beach would also fill a need for "art" and "architecture."

lol!

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Love the Venice Beach reference!

Weather in February can be fairly cold and maybe rainy although it seems like we never have rain. But you can also have some beautiful days with very blue skies and clear air. The Getty Musuem would be a great day trip while your husband is at his conference. Also agree with Laguna Beach as a day trip. There's lots of art galleries and of course very nice views of the ocean.

For your three days, I like the idea of Santa Barbara/Solvang. You'd see some nice scenery driving to Santa Barbara and if the weather isn't so nice, you can spend your time in the wineries. San Diego is a shorter drive from Anaheim (about 1 1/2 hours if traffic is light) and there is so much to do in San Diego. The Zoo, Balboa Park, walk around La Jolla, Coronado Island. So much in San Diego centers around being outdoors but if the weather is colder there are some nice museums at Balboa Park.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Santa Barbara or San Diego.

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys so much! I posted this question then got sidetracked with "life" and just remembered to check back! I'm excited and leaning towards Santa Barbara. I would love to go to the Getty Museum and the Crystal Cathedral as well. Those would be good for the days hubby is i conference.

Not really interested in sunbathing so no problem there. Just interested mostly in some nice scenery, people watching, good food/wine.

Now to research accomodations for the Santa Barbara/San Diego areas...
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Lisa,

Highly recommend The Ballard Inn, in Ballard, which consists of 1 4way stop sign. Lovely, but a splurge in my book. In between Solvang and Los Olivos.

My favorite wineries - Foley Vineyards and Richard Longoria - tasting room in Los Olivos.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Check out the Reagan Museum where the presidential airplane Air Force One is installed in a wonderful space. You can walk thru and see how Ron and Nancy lived aboard the plane. The museum is off the the Ronal Reagan freeway which I thin is Hwy. 118
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM

During the time your husband is busy, I would recommend figuring out a way into Los Angeles or Pasadena for a couple of the days.

The Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena is a small gem. The Huntington Library, also in Pasadena, is wonderful -- I had never seen a First Folio or a Gutenberg Bible before.

I also liked Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) especially for its Japanese art, and the building itself. There are some intriguing exhibitions coming up there too: http://www.lacma.org/art/ExhibCurrent.aspx
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Ironically, I was looking for suggestions on things to do in Anaheim in February while MY husband is at a conference. Thank you all for the Getty Museum, Crystal Cathedral and Venice Beach suggestions. I would also like to do a bus tour of historical LA (Spanish mission, 1930's Hollywood, Art Deco buildings ???). Is there anything like that?

P.S. I love Santa Barbara and Solvang.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM

It is not my thing, but there is a huge shopping mall with all the high end stores. The ones that are in all the European Cities. The South Coast Plaza is a destination for shoppers, browsers, foodies etc. Google it and see if you are interested.
Another is take the train from the Anaheim train Station and go to Union Station in L.A., where you can walk or taxi to Olvera Street, The Music Center, Grand Central Market. If you have a car you could see San Juan Capistrano Mission and South Coast Plaza in one day.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM

I agree with the two posters who said (1) Pasadena - not only the Norton Simon and the Huntington, but the Gamble House, if you're an architecture buff. Seminal Arts and Crafts, and very close to the Norton Simon. (Although it would be hard to chose between a day with those two or the Huntington!).

I also recommend (2) Santa Barbara for the two of you. It's our favorite city. The Simpson House is an amazing place to stay, an Italiate Queen Anne mansion.

Have fun!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 08:27 AM

Hi Marsha, I'm not aware of a tour like one you describe, but you might like to visit the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, not far from Anaheim. The building has a beautiful Mediterranean Revival style courtyard, they have some good collections on California history. www.bowers.org

The LA Conservancy has walking tours in LA but perhaps not what you wanted, they do have an Art Deco tour.

laconservancy.org

San Gabriel Mission
www.sangabrielmission.org

San Juan Capistrano Mission
http://www.missionsjc.com/info.html

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Don't waste time at the Reagan Museum. You have much better options already suggested.