Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rollercoaster enthusiasts (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rollercoaster-enthusiasts-113960/)

Lisa Mar 22nd, 2001 05:42 AM

Rollercoaster enthusiasts

I just wanted to let people know about a rollercoaster marathon at a small amusement park in Conneaut Lake Park, Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania. It's on July 20th, and it's to raise money to refurbish the Blue Streak rollercoaster, which is (I think), the oldest wooden rollercoaster in the country. Conneaut Lake is my hometown, and I grew up riding the Blue Streak, so this is a cause close to my heart. <BR> <BR>They will be taking 24 riders and 12 alternates based on pledges received. It's planned for July 20 (not 100% sure of the date). The number listed in the newspaper to call for more info is: <BR> <BR>Gene Rumsey, park manager, at 814-382-5115

Joy in VA Mar 22nd, 2001 10:33 AM

Is this in eastern or western PA? Best routes to get there? Height restrictions on the coaster? Thanks for info from a coaster enthusiast!

xx Mar 22nd, 2001 01:03 PM

Joy, from your e-mail address you're from Richmond area, right? Conneaut Lake is about an 8 hour drive from Richmond, relatively close to I-79 south of Meadville on the western side of PA (about an hour or so from Pittsburgh). Best way to get there is to go I95 to Rt.17 (to Winchester) to I81 to I68 to I79. I think those are all the right route numbers. It's easy enough to see on a road map. All interstate except for Fredericsburg to Winchester, but most of that is 4-lane now.

Lisa Mar 22nd, 2001 02:24 PM

Ah! Joy, I'm very excited that you responded! There's an article about the marathon in one of the local papers (have to check it out today--there are no archives). Go to www.meadvilletribune.org. <BR> <BR>Actually, Conneaut Lake is about 2 hours north of Pittsburgh, 1 hour south of Erie, and about 7 miles from the Ohio border. It's a little town (around 1,000 out-of-season), with the Lake being the center of much of the activity around there. <BR> <BR>The Park, unfortunately, has fallen on hard times lately, but the Blue Streak (I think the article said it was built in 1937!) is still around. I think there are new owners at the Park this year, so I'm hoping for a revival. <BR> <BR>Not sure about the height restriction. I took my 6-year-old cousin on it last year. Remember, this is not a monster, speed demon coaster. <BR> <BR>I live in Alexandria, Virginia, and if I don't hit traffic or stop to eat, I can make it in 5.25 hours (325 miles). From D.C., I take 495 N to 270 N to 70 N, to the PA Turnpike (west, toward Pittsburgh/Ohio), to 79N. There's a Conneaut Lake exit. That will take you onto Route 322. Take that to a right onto Route 18 (traffic light, beer distributor on the right). Stay on that road until you hit the Park (stay along the Lake--at one point, you have to bear left, rather than continuing straight on).

topper Mar 23rd, 2001 01:31 PM