4 hrs at LAX - how to fill in time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling from San Antonio to Sydney on United next March and have 4 hrs in the airport in LA. Will most (or any) of this time be used in clearing security or similar? Also, what 'amusements' are there in the airport? Are there any children's playgrounds? What about showers? Or am I hopelessly off the mark about LAX? Just looking for ways of burning time...

Lavandula
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM

Not sure if these flights will be in the same place - I would check where the UNited flights arrive and depart - and see if international is different. The last time I was in LAX it took almost an hour to get from one gate to another. If yuor flight comes in a little late and you have to trek through the airport you may not have much spare time - long enough to grab a snack and some reading material. I know the airport is under construction and don;t have a clue about amusements for kids.'

I would check the airport web site to get the info you need - and allow extra time for construction. Don;t think it is worth it to pay to join a club just for a couple of hours.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

OK, many thanks for the advice. Our flights were changed by the airline and I am guessing it's so we have more time between flights. Hoping that they're all in the same location!

Lavandula
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

More questions ... we have to get from Terminal 7 to Terminal 8 at LAX on the way there, and vice versa for the return flight. How hard is it to do this? On the way there (SYD - SAT via LAX) we have 2hrs 10 mins in LAX. Is this a bit tight?

Lavandula
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The two terminals are adjacent, and you just walk from one to the other. Depending on the income gate and outgoing gate locations, it would be a longish walk from the last gate of one terminal to the last gate of the other terminal but not crazy long.

I think your SYD-LAX-SAT connection is too tight not because of the walk between terminals but because it will take time to get off the plane, through passport control and possibly another security screening. Those time-eaters are all out of your control no matter how fast you can walk/run, and if your SYD-LAX flight is late even a few minutes you'll be in a tight spot.

On the question of whether you'll have to go through security again, the map for Terminal 7 on the LAX website indicates there is a walkway between the terminals that is within the security area (at least at the Terminal 7 end), but the map for Terminal 8 is less clear whether the walkway is within the security area in that terminal.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/T7.pdf

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/T8.pdf

There is no children's play area in the airport, and I'm unaware of any shower facilities. The most interesting thing I can think to do would be to have a meal at the Encounter Restaurant.

http://www.encounterlax.com/

http://www.lawa.org/welcomeLAX.aspx
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Jean, I will take this into consideration and perhaps talk to the airline about the time they've given us to get to the connecting flight.

Lavandula
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Although there's no public showers at LAX, there are showers at some of the Club level airline VIP lounges. Which, even if you aren't flying business, you might be able to use for a price. Delta and Alaska used to allow entry on a one time basis for a fee -- $25 to $30. The Delta Crown Club room in terminal 5 (which is connected to 6, 7, and 8) does have showers.

I know that Air New Zealand also has showers, but that's on the other side at terminal 2, I think (and they are quite nice too!).

If you have the time, you really should consider going over to Encounter -- just to get in some exercise between flights.

It's too bad they don't have something like the Yotel (pod hotel) at Heathrow. The Yotel is great for a long time between flights -- can snooze and shower!
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM

A 2:10 layover going out of the US is no problem, even in JFK, as long as you're on one ticket (which it sounds like you are) for the flights. Coming back through LAX it would be something to worry about.

If your four-hour layover is on the way from Sydney to Alamoville via LAX, then on a VERY good day you will burn about 75 minutes clearing customs and re-checking your bags. Then you'll have to go through security again.