Rocky Shores Inn/ Rockport MA

Old May 6th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocky Shores Inn/ Rockport MA

In planning my Boston area vacation, I am leaning very strongly toward these lodgings. Has anyone stayed or have any info good or bad?
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:29 PM
jtp

Other then Rocky Shores what else are you considering? www.bedandbreakfast.com is a great source for views of the rooms/inns and reviews and if you go to the community section, you can read other people's opinions. We stayed at Yankee Clipper and although lovely to look at, and a great location, the service was not professional, the rates high, the rooms aged.
Seacrest Manor always gets great reviews, and The Tuck Inn has absolutely charming Inn Keepers as well as a lovely location.
We love the area but now rent a place in Newburyport instead of a B&B.
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:58 PM

My family and I stayed a week at Rocky Shores back in 1996. We stayed in the cabins which are located behind the inn. The cabins were rustic, the inn was very nice and the staff was friendly. We had a wonderful time, better beaches are a five minute drive to Gloucester. Loved walking around Rockport, especially the Bear Neck area. Helmut Strudel was a must every night for my husband and me. The children would get a ice cream cone and we would all walk to the end of the pier and enjoy our treats and the fabulous views.
Out of curiosity, what area are you coming from?
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We are driving from MI and spending the first part of our vacation in Boston. The Rocky Shores website looks fabulous and I am looking for a nice location near the water. We plan on going whale watching and check out Salem etc.
Bed and breakfasts just don't appeal to me. Thanks for idea though jtp.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:55 AM

Try the cape ann motor inn which is right on long beach. If you have kids they will love it. B&B's in the area are over rated IMHO. Rocky shores is still a good distance from a beach,a tough walk with beach chairs,etc.
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:04 AM

I am concerned about "the first part of our vacation in Boston" - do you mean you are staying in boston as well as Rockport? If not, Rockport is about 30 miles north of Boston and about a 45 minute drive with no traffic. There is a commuter rail, but it runs primarily at rush hour.

Everyone from outside Massachusetts wants to go to Salem. I will promise to shut up about it not being a desirable tourist spot, even for a day trip, if someone says they have actually enjoyed it!

The beaches in Gloucester are worth a day trip from Rockport - be prepared for sticker shock at cost of parking ($10-15 per day).
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Gail, yes, we are staying IN Boston for 4 days. In the Back Bay area. I'm not sure what is concerning about this part of our trip? The drive to Rockport? And I realize that Salem is probably highly overrated and touristy but the 17 y/o is insistent. And since the 19 y/o gets to go see the Sox at Fenway, Salem is in.
Thanks for the suggestion doc, we are not huge water people but like being near it, so quality beaches are not a huge priority.
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:31 AM

No offense intended - sorry if you read any in my post - I was just offering my local info on distance from Rockport to Boston - Too many places in Boston area try to lure in out of staters by claiming that they are an easier trip away from Boston than reality indicates.
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Hi again,
The inn is located in a upscale neighborhood with views of the twin lights. My family and I would take walks after dinner towards the water. The area is really nice to walk around, and look at the water and beautiful homes. It just so happens that I went to Salem last week with my insistent twelve year old. The only thing that I could recommend is the Dungeon. The town itself is interesting for it's history and architecture. The "witch stuff" is hokey and not very well done. My kids could put on a better and more informative show in the basement. This was especially disappointing to my daughter, since my husbands family are descendants of George Jacobs.
Jeri
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Intersting, kreinestja. Many people who choose only one worthwhile place to visit in Salem name the Peabody Essex Museum.
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:55 PM

The Peabody Essex Museum is closed for renovations and will reopen June 21.