Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rocky Mountains/National Parks Extended Vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rocky-mountains-national-parks-extended-vacation-241469/)

Martin Jul 20th, 2002 02:30 AM

Rocky Mountains/National Parks Extended Vacation

Planning our 4th visit to USA from UK in September '03. Have driven in New England, Virginia and California but never in this region and never for so long - usually 2 weeks or so. This is a 40th Wedding Anniversary and retirement celebration!<BR>Would welcome observations, criticisms & comments on my proposed itinerary. Am I trying to fit in too much? Are the driving distances too great? I don't want to be driving all day every day (My wife won't drive in USA!) I need to plan well in advance to secure exchange accommodation.<BR>Fly into Denver from UK<BR>7 nights exchange accommodation at Estes Park followed by "Tour One"!<BR>Day 1. Estes to Fort Laramie (Oregon Trial & Ft Laramie) 1 night in vicinity<BR>Day 2 Ft Laramie to Custer 2 nights<BR>Day 3 Custer/Mt Rushmore etc<BR>Day 4 Custer to Sheridan (via Deadwood & Devil's Tower) 1 night<BR>Day 5 Sheridan to Cody (museum etc)1 night<BR>Day 6 Cody to Yellowstone 2 nights<BR>Day 7 Yellowstone<BR>Day 8 To Jackson/GTNP 2 nights<BR>Day 9 GTNP<BR>Day 10 Jackson to Garden City/Bear Lake 1 night<BR>Day 11 continue to Salt Lake City 1 night<BR>(? is Jackson to SLC scenic route too far in one day. Is SLC worth a day to look around?)<BR>Day 12 SLC to Bryce (Lodge hopefully) 1 night<BR>Day 13 Bryce then p.m. to Zion (Springdale) 2 nights<BR>Day 14 Zion<BR>Day 15 Springdale to Grand Canyon South Rim<BR>Day 16 GC (flight?) and then to Flagstaff/Sedona<BR>Can spend a max of 15 nights/16 days on this leg to key in with 7 nights exchange accommodation in Flagstaff/Sedona<BR>Is it worth trying to fit in a night at Lake Powell/Page between Zion and Grand Canyon?<BR>Part Two!<BR>(7 nights Flagstaff/Sedona)<BR>Day 1 Flagstaff to Bluff (Mon Valley, Goosenecks NP) 1 night<BR>Day 2 Bluff to Moab via Needles Overlook etc 2 nights<BR>Day 3 Moab/ Canyonlands NP<BR>Day 4 Moab to Durango via Mesa Verde NP 2 nights<BR>Day 5 Durango<BR>Day 6 Durango to Gunnison (Million Dollar Highway, Silverton, Ouray, Gunnison Canyon) 1 night<BR>Day 7 Gunnison to Glenwood Springs via Aspen 1 night<BR>Day 8 Glenwood Springs to Frisco/Breckenridge 1 night<BR>Day 9 To Denver and flight home.<BR>Flexible home flight by a day or two.<BR>I'm open to suggestions especially between Gunnison and Airport. What about Leadville as a stop? Aspen/Vail sound very expensive!<BR>Thanks for any help<BR>

jim Jul 20th, 2002 05:02 AM

I hope you will love the American West as much as I do. I think you are doing way too much driving. The driving distances are long- these Western states are huge compared to the New England area. My feeling is 2 nights is the minimum for most places I visit as the first day is a drive day, late motel check in, etc. If you get back on the road first thing the next day you wont have time to enjoy much. Spend a few days relaxing in Yellowstone at one of our park lodges. In the Tetons I would recommend the park lodge system also- Jackson Lake Lodge is great. Sedona is a great area if you have 7 days there and you could use that as a base for a day trip to the Grand Canyon.. The Cody museum is 2 day suggested viewing- it now has 5 museums. There is absolutely nothing in Leadville Colorado. Vail is not that expensive- check September prices. The scenic drive through Leadville from Vail to Aspen takes 3-4 hours and is white knuckle driving but beautiful. Keep us posted on what you decide to do and have a great time.

Dayle Jul 20th, 2002 06:32 AM

Hi Martin!<BR><BR>OK, honestly I think you are trying to do too much. Like the above poster mentioned, driving distances in the west are always underestimated by Europeans & easterners.<BR><BR>I understand you are trying to take advantage of what I assume are time share trades. BUT, I think you need to spend much less time on the 2 week exchanges you have AND you need to double the amount of planned time in Yellowstone, Tetons, & Moab. You will really regret only spending 1 or 2 nights in these locations.<BR><BR>I like Sedona, but it is much more commercial & developed than you are probably expecting. The red rock of southern Utah has much more to offer so spend more of your time there.<BR><BR>Search here under "Moab" "Arches" & the Utah state selection for tons of comments & ideas, plus other trip reports that will be very helpful to you.<BR><BR>Your trip does sound fantastic. If you want to cover all these places, add a couple weeks if you can!

Dayle Jul 20th, 2002 06:37 AM

Oh, you can easily drive from Jackson to SLC in 4 1/2 hours. Many routes to choose from. I would recommend staying overnight either at Park City (my home) to visit the historical Main Street & Utah Olympic Park where you can see the aerialists & ski jumpers summer training. It's a very interesting facility & people just love it - even if they are not into winter sports. <BR><BR>Or, stay overnight at Snowbird, enjoy a nice dinner at one of their excellent restaurants, plus a sunset dip in the roof-top pool and a tram ride up to 11,000 & an incredible view!

susie Jul 20th, 2002 09:41 AM

To Dayle the above poster and all board posters.. Unrelated to Martin's post- this is my question. I have a chance to stay a full summer week in Park City at a hotel. Is there enough to do to justify a week in the SLC Park City area? Can you do day trips to the North Rim of Grand Canyon? Can you do this Moab and Zion area as a day trip from Park City? <BR>I think Sedona would be a place to relax for 7 days and take day trips to Grand Canyon and the black volcano crater area. I would not want Martin to give up his timeshare week in Sedona as he probably spent lots of time negotiating this accomodation. I am not that well acquainted with the West but I would think driving quicker to Yellowstone and the Tetons and fewer one night stays would be beneficial.

gb Jul 21st, 2002 04:48 PM

I agree that you are doing alot of driving. IMHO I think you should focus your direction on west of Estes Park and not go to South Dakota. The fort is interesting if it is open with people in costumes, but it might not be in Sept. Also, although Mt. Rushmore is interesting, it is more than a 6 hour drive from Denver. I'd rather see Mesa Verde near Durango. Mt. Rushmore looks like what you think. Deadwood is not worth it. It's a long drive through "nothing". And I mean, lot of dirt and rock through Wyoming.<BR>Start at Estes Park, then go, Jackson and Yellowstone. You need at least three or four days there. There is a lot of driving in Yellowstone to see the whole park. Base yourself in the southern part of Yellowstone. It will take you all day to drive from Estes to Yellowstone,and you can include a short stop in Cody. I don't know Bear Lake. But, I think Jackson is a half day's drive to Salt Lake. You might spend the night in Park City (Hotel bargains on internet at the Holiday Inn Express-I recently got one night for $59 with breakfast). You can spend a day in Salt Lake City. The Morman sites will be a cultural experience.

diane Jul 21st, 2002 05:21 PM

I agree with the last poster that you should forget Mt. Rushmore, spend an extra day around Estes Park (drive up into Rocky Mountain National Park and do a little hiking), and then head on up toward Yellowstone. I think Cody is a worthwhile stop but disagree with the earlier poster who said you need two days to see the Buffalo Bill Museums. They are all together in one building and you could easily spend ALL of one day seeing them, but you can see as much as you probably want to see in 4-5 hours.<BR><BR>You would LOVE a drive north out of Cody on the Chief Joseph Highway and then turn right to drive up onto the Beartooth Pass. After you reach the summit (above the tree line), get out to enjoy the view and then turn around and head back toward Yellowstone. Don't return to Cody; instead, enter Yellowstone through its NE entrance. BTW, be sure to buy the $50. yearly pass to the national Parks. Each one will cost you $20. otherwise.<BR><BR>Re your day 10, don't spend a night at Bear Lake. Go on to Salt Lake City (about a 5-hour drive from Jackson). You would probably enjoy a day or two in the SLC area. I would recommend your visiting Zion, Bryce, and then the NORTH Rim of the Grand Canyon. Then see more of the southern Utah parks on your way back to Denver.<BR><BR>Susie, there's no way you can make a day trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon as a day trip from Salt Lake City. It's not interstate all the way.

diane Jul 21st, 2002 05:33 PM

Sorry, I just reread you original message and now realize you are spending a week at Estes Park (gorgeous area!!!) and a week at Sedona. Therefore, the last part of my earlier message is out of line. In general, I think you've got a terrific trip planned. I would suggest, however, a few fewer stops and more 2-3 night stays. <BR><BR>My husband and I are leaving in a week for Hawaii for OUR 40th wedding anniversary. BTW, when WE visit the British Isles, I also make my husband to all the driving. The last time was June of 2000 when we drove from York to the Lake District and back. Great trip!

Martin Jul 27th, 2002 10:26 AM

Thanks for all your comments - really helpful. Apologies for repeating the message ! I got confused - sorry<BR>Thanks again

Gretchen Jul 27th, 2002 12:29 PM

Agree with all about Mt. Rushmore/Dakota leg of your tour. Head West. Be sure to see SLC, the Mormon Tabernacle choir (they have practices--it is incredible). The Grand Tetons are a spectacular experience--to me even more than Yellowstone although you must see that also.<BR>Aspen/Vail may not be so expensive in September. Think about bidding on Priceline for some of your stay.<BR>The driving distances in the west can be daunting. You need to get some good maps and plot the distances/time. On interstates you can REALLY move but back roads can be slow and curvy (as in Leadville--good place to just detour to). <BR>Second someone's suggestion of Mesa Verde--one of the most impressive sites in the US.