Rockport MA in mid-may?

Search

Rockport MA in mid-may?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockport MA in mid-may?

Saw the movie "The Proposal" on tv yesterday and it was filmed in Rockport MA. My husband said he'd like to go there. He never says that; I always plan all our trips. I was looking at places in FL for mid-May, but now thinking, maybe Rockport? I know it won't be beach weather but is that a good time to go? Or is that usually a rainy miserable time of year?
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM

The weather could be anything from 60's to 90's (highs) and not usually particularly rainy. The only issue might be lodging in Boston if you decide to add that. It is college graduation time and thus the most expensive time of year to visit.

But you could have a great trip to Marblehead, Salem, Gloucester, Rockport, Essex, Newburyport, and Portsmouth, NH, without ever setting foot in Boston beyond the airport.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM

The Cape Ann area north of Boston is definitely worth a few days of your time. Lots to see in the towns mentioned above by Ackislander.
Since you'd stay north of Boston (lots of pleasant B & Bs), however, the availability of lodging in Boston should not be a concern for you.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Rockport gets quite crowded in the summer months, particularly on weekends. Mid-May is a nice time to come. Some shops may only be open on weekends that early in the season, but some are year round. Be sure to visit Halibut Point State park.

How long is your trip? Rockport is very small, and the surrounding towns are also nice.

Also, get a good map and take in the rest of the town(s) outside of the downtown. I live in the area, and have noticed that many people think they've seen everything the towns here have to offer when they never ventured beyond the downtown.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking we would spend 4 nights in Rockport
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Any lodging suggestions? I am looking at the Tuck Inn and it looks very nice. Also, what about Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge? I know my husband would prefer a hotel/motel over a B&B.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:05 AM

I have to disagree with Ackislander about the weather in mid-May. I live on the North Shore and find that it is usually cool and often rainy that time of year.

My mother visited me (from Florida) three times in four years, all around Mother's Day, and after the third time she said she would not come back to visit that early in the year again! It was too cool and wet. In fact, during one visit she developed pneumonia as a result of our sightseeing. (I should add here that I grew up in Florida, so she is not a Northern retiree who moved South).

I do agree that the end of May/beginning of June can be quite changeable. My sister and brother-in-law visited just after Memorial Day a couple of years ago, and daytime highs ranged roughly from upper 60s to mid 80s during their week here. Rain seems to slack off later in the month as well.

Agree that there is plenty to see in Rockport and surrounding towns, but be sure that if there is something you particularly want to see (or even a place you particularly want to eat) that it will be open when you are here. It is not unusual for smaller sights to wait until Memorial Day (or even later) to open for the summer season.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM

Weather can be variable, and Boston or even 10 miles inland can be a nice spring day but out on the end of Cape Ann it could be foggy and raw. So depends how lucky you feel. what about planning a few days in Boston and either a day trip or one overnight in Rockport?
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM

I would not be surprised if Cape Ann were similar to Cape Cod at that time of year re: weather, just as it is here in the near west suburbs of Boston.

We have some unbelievably glorious days in May and I also remember Memorial Day week-ends wearing long sleeved turtlenecks! Basically when it comes to weather here in late spring, you have to hope for the best---and often you will get it!---but you also have to be prepared for the worst, b/c you just may get that.

The good thing about being in Rockport as opposed to Cape Cod is that if the weather is lousy, you can jump on the commuter rail and go to some of Boston's indoor attractions, so that offers you flexibility.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM

IMO, 4 nts in Rockport is prob 3 nts too long. Bearskin Neck is fun for a day. Think about Boston, Portsmouth, NH, Ogunquit, ME. Many people like Salem but not me. Weather will be variable wherever you decide, bring layers.