Rockport MA: Emerson Inn by the Sea

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Rockport MA: Emerson Inn by the Sea

Would you recommend this inn?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 02:59 PM

We considered it for my daughter's wedding but decided that the staff was snotty and parking was scarce.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

But what about the rooms and location?
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:22 AM

Nothin about Rockport is really easy to get to, but location is overlooking water - rocks, not really a beach. I saw one room and it was large, nice, but not fantastic. No experience with snottiness of staff - just visited a friend who was staying there. Parking in summer is limited, but off season fine.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 07:36 AM

The inn is in a huge old building in a rather built-up neighborhood (hence the parking difficulties). As Gail said, it's on a rocky overlook right on the water, no beach around that I noticed; about half the rooms would have a water view. The rooms we looked at were big enough, furnished relatively sparsely rather than cute-cozy style. The restaurant seemed excellent and they had a weird little spa in the basement. We were advised that if our wedding party didn't rent out all the rooms, we might find other inn guests wandering through our wedding reception, as the main hall is at the bottom of the stairs that go up to the rooms. So, vice-versa, as a guest you might find yourself in the middle of somebody else's wedding!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Are you looking at any other place in Rockport or nearby?

BTW, people, there's a reason it's called "Rockport." I once edited a manuscript that talked about a moonlight walk along the rocky cliffs of Florida (supposedly south of St. Aug.)! No rocks there, no sandy beach here -- but it's so very pretty, with the classic "motif #1" quaintness.

Orangetravelcat -- do you just want a lovely location or what are you looking for? Be aware that "snottiness" can be in the ear of the beholder and may have something to do with a good or poor match of desires and facilities, or a bad day at the Inn.

It may be too much of a walk into the old part of Rockport, but it's a nice setting, certainly. Have you looked at their website?

http://www.emersoninnbythesea.com

(pictures of what looks like a lovely wedding: http://www.emersoninnbythesea.com/wed_bythesea.html)
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:00 AM

Found an even better website with really good photos of inn, its setting, and Rockport:
http://www.ila-chateau.com/emerson/
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

We just want to relax and escape the Arizona heat in August (where it will be a gazillion degrees). Checked out the pix of the Emerson Inn and it looks pretty good to me.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:30 AM

If you go, please report when you get back, ok?
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

We'll be going to the Emerson Inn at the end of September for a couple of days before heading to Maine. Will report back.