Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rockport/Boston - It's time to ask about the weather :-)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, you guys told me to wait and I waited

I'm leaving for Rockport on Saturday and will be in Boston/Cambridge on Wednesday ...

What is expected in regards to the weather?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM

As of right now, the weather forecast is nice, cool (low 70's) and no rain from Saturday on BUT...I still say it's too early to tell for Saturday and definitely too early to forecast a week from now. The forecast could change tomorrow, honestly.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 03:56 PM

I can tell: it will be either rain or shine, for sure!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

FainaAgain.

You should audition for Last Comic Standing
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Well, I realize it is "too early to tell for Saturday and definitely too early to forecast a week from now." - BUT since I am leaving EARLY SATURDAY (I have to leave the house at 5am) and I won't be able to fly back home to repack once I leave Rockport ... I kind of need some help.

I am packing today and tomorrow because I have an all day affair on Friday.

Just give me an educated guess. - Do you think the weather may get to the low 60's?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM

What the last weather I heard reported was: (from Boston)
showers continuing through Saturday, temps mid 60's, Sunday partly cloudy but close to 70 and
Monday thru Thursday a mix of partly/mostly cloudy with rain returning at end of next week.

But I'd check in again on Thursday night or Friday morning, Things can vary from Boston to Rockport, and this forecast originated in Boston, meaning the rain could be the same day, or a day earlier or later in Rockport, or not at all.......

This is New England, this is the place you can motivate your children to become meteorologists, they can have a good job, make mistakes daily, and not get fired, because, after all, weather is weather and they always add at the end of the forecast ....

"now, we could have 2 inches of rain over the next three days HOWEVER if front A moves in from the west and meets up with front B coming down from Canada, and heads off shore, it could pass quickly and the rain could move out overnight....we'll keep a watch on it for you."

it makes life interesting
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Helping others pack always befuddles me because when my husband and I in the same weather, we even dress differently b/c one tends to get cold easier than the other (me).

But here is what i would pack if it were me, to try and be comfortable closer to the ocean in Rockport and inland in Boston:
Cotton pants, jeans: b/c even if I got a sunny, 68-70 degree day or better in early June, I wouldn't be uncomfortable in either.
Layer tops: short sleeve cotton jersey or t's, long sleeve cotton shirt, easy on/off cardigan sweater, sweatshirt or vest
Rain jacket
Jean or cotton jacket
day walking shoes (closed toe), flip flops type or slip on sneaker type that can get wet (b/c I prefer to wear them in the rain, my feet dry faster, esp if temps are fairly warm)
being a girl, sandals for night just in case I can
a small compact umbrella, so if it is warm but raining I don't have to wear my rain jacket.
backpack : to carry the extra layer or folded rain jacket, camera, necessities, etc.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:53 AM

You cannot predict today what the weather will be next week. You cannot even predict today what the weather in Boston will be tomorrow.

On Tuesday afternoon, I checked the weather forecast from two different sources, and they agreed that yesterday would have a 40% chance of occasional showers.

In reality, we had heavy rain instead -- at least 4 inches, up to 8 in some areas. Come prepared for anything. If you're in the area for a full week, that's what you'll get.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 01:54 AM

"be comfortable closer to the ocean in Rockport and inland in Bostonquot;

Boston is on the ocean, too! On clear days in summer, temps in both Rockport and Boton will be 10 degrees cooler than just 10 or 20 miles farther west.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Yes, weather can and likely will get to low 60s, especially on coast and in evening. Plan on layers - regardless of what forecast is. Not layers like wool and mittens, but layers like t-shirt, long sleeved shirt, warmer sweater or fleece.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:50 AM

Low 60s?????
BWAAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ah-hem...
Yes.

Definitely bring sweatshirts or sweaters, rain gear, and full shoes for cooler wet weather. And bug spray repellent.

Also bring sun glasses, sun block, shorts and sandals.

Truly, not kidding.

Last Tuesday was close to 80 and gorgeous; the rest of the week has been in the 50's and pouring.

Hope you have a nice trip independent of the weather.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Here's the 10 forcast for a city situated between Boston and Rockport:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homea...10DayLink_pets

Should give you a pretty good idea.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:06 AM

Oh, Dreamer, what a dreamer you are! I think W_a_G should print out that forecast that you linked to, and keep a record of the actual weather conditions, and include an accuracy assessment in the final trip report.

That forecast predicts a day with a high of 75 and two at 73, as the warmest days. Based on my instincts and joints, I am predicting at least two days in which the temp hits 80. Let's see who's right.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:15 AM

????
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:22 AM

I'm with you anonymous. If the sun comes out (and lately, that's a big IF), it will definitely hit 80.

Daily fluctuations of 40 degrees are oh so common in New England.

I remember about 3 weeks ago on a Friday they predicted rain all weekend. Come Saturday the sun came out and it was a gorgeous weekend.

Weather prediction in New England is an oxymoron.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:14 AM

Dreamer, I see those ???? you posted, and I guess my recent post confused you. I am an extreme skeptic regarding even short-range forecasting around here.

For instance, last night at 7:44 PM, nina posted the first reply to this thread, saying: "As of right now, the weather forecast is nice, cool (low 70's) and no rain from Saturday "

But NOW, just 12 hour later, the link that you posted this morning says that Saturday will be 65 and showers, with showers continuing in to Sunday. Check back with your link in 12 hours for yet a different version, probably. For the record: Current predicted high for today is 57.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Audition??? I am the auditor

And sorry, can't be "the last". It will be Kal. You know, we all have our priorities here
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Come on now, let's not get into an argument because of me quot;>

I know asking the question was kind of silly ... I don't know what I expected anyone to say.

I'm just trying not to over pack too much because I am semi-disabled and I have to deal with the suitcase all by myself (That is the downside of loving to travel solo)

Anyway, I am much more comfortable in cooler weather, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb if I am the only one in a T-shirt. (Will people even care what I wear?)

Thanks for everyone trying to help me

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Wallace, I've heard from somebody that 4-wheeled sutcases are much easier to handle then 2-wheeled. Have you tried those? For me handling luggage is a problem too.

Is there a local newspaper on-line where the weather forecast may be more accurate?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:04 AM

No one will care what you wear - wear what makes you comfortable for traveling. Often I am bundled up and my husband is in a t shirt - different body temps ! always fighting over the windows open or closed and the thermostat!!

Let us know how you made out, looking forward to your trip report !

Today no rain, but supposedly going to start pouring in Boston by evening, but it is a bit 'raw' out, for me anyway - I think the best you can do is keep checking online and remembering, it can be just the opposite by a day or so, never know what those fronts will do or how fast they move through.

Be prepared for it all !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -