Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rockettes (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rockettes-267843/)

NYNY Oct 22nd, 2002 07:59 PM

Rockettes

Would we be better off sitting in the Orchestra level mid-way back or the front row of one of the mezzanines??? Price not being the object?? Haven't been to the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular and not sure what to expect view-wise!! Thanks!! Also, we already have tix to Lion King Row A and A Chrismas Carol Row AA, are we going to regret being that close??? Please put our worries to rest...thanks again!

mel Oct 22nd, 2002 08:13 PM

Reply from a Broadway actress: Yes, you are going to regret sitting that close. When you sit in the first row, you have the orchestra in front of you and that is very distracting and very loud, also your neck starts to hurt after the second song from looking up. You also miss a lot of the action on the stage, you only see the actors in the front and nothing behind them. You miss the entire stage. Why do you think the 'house seats' are always around row L in the orchestra..mid-floor. <BR><BR>For Radio City, take the first row in the first mezzanine, section 300 or 400 or 500 (mid-center). This way, no one will be in front of you and you will see the full huge stage. Much easier on the neck. P.S. The best art deco bathrooms are on that level. Visit them for a real treat.<BR><BR>At the Lion King, a lot of action takes place in the aisles and sitting in the first row will prevent you from catching most of it. Too bad.<BR><BR>Why is it that tourists are so eager to sit in the first row? It is the worst seat in the house, tht is why they are always readily available.

NYNY Oct 22nd, 2002 08:36 PM

Bummer baby!! Well, that's what we get for taking Ticketmasters advice!! The Christmas Carol tix are their VIP seats and it appears they may be farther back even though they are AA row, the website shows A against the stage and AA the section behind..lets hope so!! We always enjoy seats with nothing blocking our view (Big hair, hats, jittery people that don't sit still), hence the desire for the front rows!! Neck ache or not we are sure we will enjoy our 1st visit to your beautiful city!!! Can't wait!!! Good luck in your Broadway career!! Thanks for the advice!

New to NY Oct 23rd, 2002 12:37 PM

Any other opinions...I'm also interested!!

Keith Oct 23rd, 2002 12:57 PM

I enjoy the first row when available. Particularly when watching musicals.<BR><BR>The orchestra is an attraction, not a distraction. <BR><BR>And it is nice to be able to see the performers expressions.<BR><BR> Keith<BR><BR> Keith

ilisa Oct 23rd, 2002 01:16 PM

I have always hated the first row. I find nothing more annoying than seeing actors, dancers, etc. in the wings. Way too distracting. The only time I have ever enjoyed being so close was when we saw Cats and sat on the stage. I grew to hate the show, but found it very interesting to be right on the stage.