Rock music venues for 12 to 15 year olds

Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Rock music venues for 12 to 15 year olds

I am coming to NYC for 5 nights in October with my wife and two sons age 12 and 15. I have been to New York three times previously with my wife and have many ideas of what to do by day. At night however my sons would ideally like to go to music club/live music venue playing rock/punk. Do any places like this allow under 16s in. Some place like CBGBs or Arlene's Grocery sounds ideal but I am not sure if they will allow children in even if accompanied by an adult. Also can anyone recommend a good website to check for any Major concerts (Rock/Punk) that may be on while we are there. Any other suggestions about what would interest my kids other than the main sights(which we will be doing also)would be appreciated. Main interests are music soccer skiing skateboarding Teenage fashion (casual/punk/grunge). Thanks in advance.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:49 AM

CBGB is 16+, ID mandatory, doesn't matter if your parents come or not. I think you'll be out of luck with Arlene, too. You'll probably have to stick with more mainstream venues like Roseland, Hammerstein, Irving Plaza and just see which major acts are in town when you're in NYC. The age limits at these places are often set by the bands. Roseland is usually all ages, Irving Plaza has been 16+ for many shows I've seen there, Hammerstein might have a greater tendencey toward all ages. There used to be a good place that woudl fit the bill called Coney Island High but it's closed. Another possibility is L'Amour in Brooklyn but it tends to be more industrial/goth/metal, they may have some all ages shows but I know some have been 16+. The music scene for young people in NYC stinks, take them to the Bay Area to see some good shows.

For the skating and fashion thing, take the 6 train to Astor Place. Right outside the station is "The Cube", a sculpture where all the skaters hang out. Walk east from there down St. Marks Place and there are plenty of fashion stores and alt t-shirt places, tattoos, piercing, used CD's, etc. The kids will love it. This area used to be the punk hangout years ago but rising real estate prices are driving the punks out and the rich hipsters in.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:33 AM
blpar

Do a search on Ticketmaster for upcoming concerts.

Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
al

There's a good site called www.pollstar.com. Do an advanced search, by city and the dates you'll be here, and you'll get an up to date listing of who'll be here when you are.

You can also find specific tour information for by artist.

As for whether your kids can or can't get into a specific venue, figure out where you want to do first and take it from there.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:11 AM

I would suggest trying to get a Village Voice for the kids to read and for events going on in the city.

Also a little more upscale would be New York Magazine, which lists lots goings on in the city.

HOw about some cabaret? Don't Tell Mama, has some great performers and the kids might like that.

All clubs and restaurants in the city are now smoke free.

You also might try Chelsea Piers for sports things, skating (ice and inline) an of course Central Park, you can even rent rowboats, and bring some bread to feed the ducks.

Have a great time.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:52 PM

Some clubs that are usually 18/21+ do have shows that are all ages. One fairly popular club with frequent all ages shows is The Continental on 3rd Ave. and St. Marks. You can sign up for a mailing list on the web site (http://www.continentalnyc.com/) I agree with the advice to look in the Village Voice when you arrive. They have pages and pages advertising shows at different clubs and there will be a note if any of the shows are all ages.
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. Looking forward to the trip.(from Scotland)