Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rochester to Buffalo Airport via public transport

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DS will be attending University of Rochester this fall. My DH and DS just did an admitted student program there and I had them fly to Buffalo on Southwest and drive the hour to Rochester.

Southwest doesn't fly to Rochester, and the choices of airlines from STL to ROC seem limited. DS won't have a car. What are the best suggestions for getting from campus to the Buffalo airport using public transportation? Are there shuttles? Private taxis? Van services? It is so much easier to have a student use Southwest, with the ability to change flights without a change fee, and to get money credited to your account if the fare goes down.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM

Sorry to say Liz that transportation b/t Bflo and rochester is not very good. You may spend as much on the transportation as the difference between the airfare in the two cities. About the only thing I could suggest is to go to the Buffalo Niagara airport website and see if any of the limo type companies will drive to rochester and what the cost would be. To take a train or bus from Buffalo to ROchester would require getting from the airport to the train station (about 5-10 miles) or bus station (probably 10 miles-in downtown Buffalo). then I have no idea where the stations in Rochester are in relation to the U of R. Lots of kids from Buffalo go to U of R, so maybe your son will be able to find some rides. The Rochester airport is about 1 hour from buffalo (more or less depending on where in Buffalo you are talking about)
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:11 AM

There is Amtrak from Buffalo (Depew) station which is a mile from the airport to downtown Rochester taxi to school
www.amtrak.com

Also the Trailways bus has frequent service from downtown Buffalo to downtown Rochester
www.trailwaysny.com

DS may also check on campus as there are often charter bus services that run around school break times and holidays to Buffalo and Albany points.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. Is there a shuttle from Buffalo airport to amtrak station? I can't seem to find that info on Buffalo airport website.

And I'm sure that you're right that charter services are offered on campus at vacation times. It's just hard to plan air tickets ahead of time if you are not sure of the ground transportation options.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM

I am not aware of a shuttle bus from the airport to the Amtrak Depew station, but the last time I did it I just took a taxi and it cost less than $ 10
Where are you flying from?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM

Its going to cost more for you to get your kid from BUF to ROC than the flight on Southwest to Buffalo... consider direct flights to Rochester on other airlines and book early after getting his school schedule.... the key is to prebook all of his school breaks now... that can save the same amount as all that ground travel... good Luck!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM

I agree that there are many Buffalo area students attending U of R. It's likely once he meets kids that he'll be able to find rides at break times. I would also suggest checking with the school as to whether they offer or have knowlegde of transportation from the school to the Buffalo airport. I would think that there would be other students with the same needs.