Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Roaming cats in San Antonio??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/roaming-cats-in-san-antonio-771151/)

Cookie43 Oct 31st, 2005 03:57 AM

Roaming cats in San Antonio???

I am deathly afraid of cats and a friend of mine mentioned that feral cats roam around the streets in San Antonio. Is this true? Please let me know before I complete my plans. Thanks

P_M Oct 31st, 2005 04:37 AM

I think someone is pulling your leg.

Birdie Oct 31st, 2005 04:42 AM

Feral cats are in every city and town. They are just as afraid of you as you are of them. Stay away from dumpsters and you may not see a single one. I don't remember seeing any cats when I was in San Antonio.

E Oct 31st, 2005 04:44 AM

I never saw any there, but it's been 10 years since I was last in San Antonio--perhaps they've proliferated in the meantime. I believe it is customary to tip the ones wearing sombreros and playing guitars.
Ole!

P_M Oct 31st, 2005 05:01 AM

I'm so glad you brought up the issue of tipping the cats, E. Those poor cats must make a living somehow. But don't buy tamales from them. That's a mistake you'll only make once. :-&

here_today_gone2Maui Oct 31st, 2005 05:17 AM

Maybe it is because I am up at an ungodly hour for a long distance conference call, but the subject conjured up visions of hordes of jazz musicians roaming the streets of San Antonio. And man, those cats are cool.

P_M Oct 31st, 2005 05:25 AM

OK, I must have misunderstood the OP. Are the Feral Cats a band....like the Stray Cats? :-))

Tess Oct 31st, 2005 05:43 AM

Cookie,
No fear, cool cats or no, they're not roaming the streets of San Antonio. We spent time there this summer and didn't see a one.

elizabeth_reed Oct 31st, 2005 06:05 AM

Cookie, don't be fooled by this! The pro basketball team is the "Spurs" -- not "Purrrs."

E Oct 31st, 2005 07:09 AM

Cat Mariachis' favorite song: Una Paloma Blanca, of course!

wsoxrebel Oct 31st, 2005 07:14 AM

It is the circle of life. Feral cats eat feral lizards.

Scarlett Oct 31st, 2005 08:56 AM

Jeez, what a drag, a fear of cats..
although a pussycat in a sombrero might change your mind..((&))

Stay away from alleys and garbage cans..that should do it.
Also, I would suggest no trips to Rome .

Cassandra Oct 31st, 2005 09:32 AM

You couldn't lay a hand on a feral cat if you tried -- they are outathere at lightning speed if you even begin to move in their direction.

As to the rap group in San A., the Phair-L Katz -- well, you deserve what you get if you stick around to listen. But if anyone heard the Honky-Tonk Woman rendition by the geese on NPR's weekend edition ("Annoying Music" segment), now that's true lyrical beauty!

Underhill Oct 31st, 2005 09:56 AM

I just have to put in a plug for Alley Cat Allies, an organization that is doing an excellent job in slowing down the feral cat population. Cats are trapped, neutered, and released in areas where caregivers provide food and water. But no more kittens arrive.

GoTravel Oct 31st, 2005 09:58 AM

"....when the moon hits your eye.....

.....like a big pizza pie....

.......That's Amore!!"

Marilyn Oct 31st, 2005 10:02 AM

Yes, Underhill! We also have a local organization called "Planned Feralhood" which does the same thing.

Didn't see any feral cats last summer in SA, Cookie, but stay away from Rome (Italy, not Georgia) and Athens (Greece, not Ohio). :-D Happy Halloween!

P_M Oct 31st, 2005 11:38 AM

You are so right, Marilyn. The only things I didn't like about Greece were a.) Cab drivers in Athens and b.) Stray animals everywhere. Seeing all those strays made me sad.

Postal Oct 31st, 2005 05:14 PM

The University of Florida Vet School has Operation Catnip where feral cats are neutered and re-released. Every other Sunday they do hundreds of cats. The numbers are just incredible!

Binthair Oct 31st, 2005 07:39 PM

Feral rats, maybe. Feral cats, no.

JackOneill Nov 1st, 2005 04:46 AM

Coyotes would do a real good job of thinning the herd of feral cats, and rats. And poodles. Although, now that I think of it, there really aren't feral herds of poodles, are there? Well, maybe in some out of the way place in France.