Roadtrip from NYC to Quebec City & Return

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be travelling from Australia to New York for the marathon on 4 Nov. We're planning to do a driving holiday beforehand from NYC to Quebec City and return. We will have10 days. I would appreciate any suggestions for planning the itinerary, accommodation, restaurants, must-sees. I'm thinking of having an overnight stop in Vermont and then 2/3 days in Quebec City and appportioning the remaining time between Montreal, Ottowa, Toronto & Niagara Falls and back to NYC. Do you think this is too much to cover in 10 days? We're also interested in any good music venues, particularly Blues.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 01:59 AM

Yes, that is a lot of territory to cover in so few days. Also - you are headed very far north and can easily run into bad (cold) weather. Many places in Niagara Falls will be closed for the season (Maid of the Mist usually stops service in mid/late Oct) and I think you might be disappointed. Do check out the web site to see when it stops running. This is the snow belt. You may not have any yet - but you might. Also - by mid Oct the leaves will be off the trees - leaving the countryside not very attractive in Canada and norther NY.

Two other points:

You need to be sure your visa allows for multiple entries

You may have trouble finding a car rental agency that will let yu take it into Canada (and without that permission your insurance will be invaid there and you may not be able to get it over the border (border agents look at car papers as well as your passports and visas).
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveler - you raise some good points re car hire which I will check out.