Road Trip with Kids from Los Angeles to San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco with two young kids ages 3 and 6. We are taking the scenic route along the shore and would like to break up the trip with an overnight stay in Carmel or Big Sur . Can anyone recommend a great place to stay with kids?

Also, what are your favorite stops along the way? We are leaving LA on a tuesday morning and plan to arrive in San Francisco the next afternoon.

Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 08:14 AM
ltt

i'd recommend staying in monterey for the night and maybe have a visit to the aquarium. you won't have a lot of time to stop along the way. pack food in the car so you can eat along the way and not waste time in restaurants. 2 nights for this journey would be much better. any chance of that? what is your budget for a hotel room that night? 2 queen beds in one room? 2 bedroom suite?
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 10:40 AM

Agree with previous reply that this trip is better done over 2 nights to really do the fantastic scenery justice. If you really only have one night then I would suggest Monterey Beach Resort hotel ( I think it is a Best Western), which is just outside Monterey but is right on the beach so the kids can run around and let off some steam after the long car journey. Alternatively Carmel is a good choice but can be pricey.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 12:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I have stayed at the HI Monterey with my DW. It is not fancy but it is close enough to walk to the Aquarium and Cannery Row.
http://www.montereyhostel.org/
The kids should enjoy the aquarium more than most of the things you'll see while you are driving.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 12:36 PM

With two small children I strongly recommend two overnight stops, maybe one night in Pismo Beach and one in Monterey. IMO it is too far of a drive from Monterey to LA with children, adults only might be OK. If you can only stay overnight once, then look into Pismo Beach or Morro Bay.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 12:50 PM

If you can manage two nights, drive Los Angeles to Santa Barbara: Stay at Fess Parkers Doubletree ( has a great pool and is in walking distance to the pier) and walk to the wonderful Santa Barbara Zoo that has two new baby giraffes! This is a small zoo and easily doable in two hours or so... perfect for the ages of your kids.

Then begin your drive up the coast on the 101. Stop in Cambria at Lynn's for a late lunch and see the elephant seal on your way north on Highway 1. Enjoy the drive through Big Sur to Carmel/Monterey. In the morning, take a nice walk at Point Lobos and maybe go to the aquarium. Its a wonderful aquarium but is pricey and very crowded. Your little ones might have more fun at the Dennis the Menace Park in Monterey to get their wiggles out or if it is a nice day, take them to Lover's Point in Pacific Grove to the beach there they can wade in the shallow water in the cove and peek into the tide pools.

If you truly only have one night, stay in Monterey or Carmel so that you can have a full day there after you wake up.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Unfortunately we only have one night to break up the trip because my husband needs to be in SF for business by Wednesday night.

We have to pass on Monteray Aquarium at this time, which is disappointing because I've read it is absolutely amazing.

Would anyone recommend staying in Pismo Beach or perhaps in Big Sur?

What if we drive up Rte 5, then cut over to the coast via Rte 46 through Paso Robles, then to Rte 1?

We saw on Mapquest Rte 46 will dump us out to Rte 1 in Cambria. Is Cambria a nice area to stay? We would love to find a nice place that we can walk around, get a bite to eat and let the kids blow off steam.

Thanks again for all of the responses. This forum is most helpful!!

Also - when leaving LA, we plan to take Rte 5 up then cut over to Rte 1 through
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

jamie99 -thanks for the recs to stay in Pismo Beach or Morro Bay. I will look into hotels/inns there.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Have you heard of the treehouse resort, treebones, in Big Sur? It was featured on the travel channel (I think) last year, and I thought it would be a cool place to take kids. It may not be in your budget, though.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 06:17 PM

Shoot, never mind. Minimum age of kids is 6 sorry about that, should have checked first!
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 06:19 PM

Cambria is a very nice village and there are many beachfront hotels there. But you'll still have a pretty long drive in order to get to SF by the next evening.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 06:29 PM

In Pismo Beach, try to get a room at the Sea Crest or the Sea Venture. Both hotels have beach access.

In Cambria, the Fog Catcher Inn has always been a good value.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:55 AM

http://www.cavalierresort.com/

Best Western just North of Cambria, on the beach, firepits for evening smores, decent restaurant. Stop and see the elephant seals mentioned above about five miles or so further north on your way to SF.