road trip to zion, grand canyon and sedona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a one week trip the end of May to visit Las Vegas and close by National parks in Utah and Arizona. I am flying to Las Vegas and after staying there for 2 nights, starting a road trip to visit Zion, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon and Sedona and fly back to Los Angeles from Phoenix. I will be travelling with older adults (in their 60s) and would greatly appreciate any suggestions in planning my trip better such as where to stay, how many days to spend in each place to best use our time there. Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM

I don't think it would be wise to try and do that much in a week. I guess you have 5 days total after LV?
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You need at least one in night each of the three canyons and two in Sedona. Can you expand the amount of time?
Personally, I would skip Las Vegas but many like it.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 04:20 AM

Places to stay - Zion - The Desert Pearl
Bryce - the NP cabins
Lake Powell- mostly chain hotels but we normally go out to the Marina
Grand Canyon - any of the NP lodges so you are right on the rim - but we usually go with the cabins, if you can get one, or Bright Angel Lodge
In Sedona we have stayed at the L'Auberge (extreme splurge!) but normally we park ourselves out of the congestion at the Southwest Inn of Sedona -
Las Vegas isn't my favorite either but when I am there for a night and can afford it we like to stay at the Bellagio in a Strip View room so we can watch the fountain show from high above instead of in the street level crowds....and all things considered, it is cheaper than buying show tickets for 2-3 people to splurge on that room!!
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:48 AM

You don't have time to do all that in a week. You will be driving several hours every day. I would suggest either do Zion, Bryce, and GC north rim OR Sedona, Page, and GC south rim.

If you have not been to the GC before, I would suggest the southern route -- drive to Sedona, staying 2-3 nights, up to page for 1-2 nights, then to GCSR for 1 night, then to Phoenix.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM

I would go from Vegas to Zion (2nights) to Bryce to GCNR (2 nights) to Sedona (2nights). In Zion - Cliffrose Lodge - beautiful grounds and you can walk to entrance of Zion in less that 10 minutes. Views of the Virgin River. I would stay in Zion two nights and day trip Bryce once you leave there. I agree with others - that is a lot do do in one week. I've done a combination of AZ and Southern Utah with and without Vegas the last two summers, driving from SoCal.)
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 04:16 PM

I would skip Sedona.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM

You can do a loop in either direction from Vegas; Option 1, Day1: If you don't hike a great deal, then leave Vegas early, and be at Zion before noon. Take the shuttle, do the riverside walk, spend the night in the park if you can, otherwise in Springdale.

Day 2: take in the beauty of the place, then head for Bryce, do the scenic drive with the stops, for pictures, hike a bit, see sunset, spend the night in the park or at Ruby's.

Day 3: check out sunrise, head for Page. Visit Antelope Canyon or take the smooth water raft trip from Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry. Spend the night in one of the motels.

Day 4: Do one of the options for day 3 or walk over the sand to view Horseshoe Bend then head for Grand Canyon, down 89 to 64. Stop at the overlooks on the east end, see sunset. Spend the night in the park if you can, otherwise at Cameron Trading Post or in Tusayan.

Day 5: See sunrise, hike down into the canyon a short way or walk along the rim trail and pick up the shuttle when you get tired. Head back to Vegas.

With the 2 days in Vegas, that fills your week.

Option 2, would be to do the trip in the other direction: Vegas toGrand Canyon to Page to Bryce to Zion to Vegas.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 05:23 AM

I did something similar to your planned trip a few years back. We flew into Vegas and stayed 1 night, then to Zion (2 nights), then Sedona (3 nights), then Grand Canyon (1 night), then back to Vegas. On the way from Zion to Sedona we stopped at Page AZ & visited Antelope Canyon. What I did was doable, but a lot of driving. Your plan doesn't really seem doable, I think you'd be driving almost the entire time. Unless that's what you really want, I think the ideas above about either extending your time or shortening the distance make sense. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip Las Vegas too. An extra night in Zion would have been way, way nicer.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I read this post yesterday but couldn't respond. Please be aware that if you plan on going from Page to the Grand Canyon the shortest route on 89 is closed. The road south of Page collapsed back in February and when I was there earlier this month, these were the detour routes http://www.azdot.gov/us89/pdf/13-090...tour_FINAL.pdf. They said it could take up to 2 years to fix and are asking the Navajo for permission to pave a road they own in the mean time (currently is it a dirt road) which isn't listed on the route map. This will add time to your commute if you planned on using 89 from Page to the Grand Canyon.
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Having such a hectic journey with older adults is not advisable. You should either increase your duration or cut out some of the places. Try to enjoy one place better than just visiting it. You can then instead of flying try driving to experience more fun. Rest is upon you....
Anyways whatever you decide, I wish you a Happy and Safe Journey!!!
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Oh stevews, we're in our 70s and have done it several times, even though we're "older adults", it is fun, and a heck of a lot easier than driving on I-95 at any time of the day.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM

It's far to much for a week, no matter how old you are.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
60's ain't old (though yes, older than 30's)

But whether one is 35 or 65-70 -this is not a one week itinerary.

Cut something or add days . . .