Search

Seattle Hotel Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle Hotel Question

I'm undecided on budget issues and other specifics of this upcoming Seattle trip in September 2009.

There are have been some good hotel deals just offered at quikbook that I could cancel if dates change, and I'm wondering what Fodorites think of these picks below:

Edgewater Hotel
Hotel Max
Hotel Andra
Executive Hotel Pacific

Also if you like any particular hotel near Safeco or over in the Pike Place Market area, tell me about it and why.

I've got time and am actually waiting for SW's fares to rotate to Sept. options, which they will do soon- so I'm not sure about the exact dates yet- but those 4 are on a big time sale until 12/31/09 if you reserve before 3/31/09. I may end up doing 4 star on Priceline unless one of these works out. We like 3 or 4 star and prefer mid-sized and smaller to huge places. We also like B&B's.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM

We like 3 or 4 star and prefer mid-sized and smaller to huge places.

The last three hotels you list fit this description. They are all within walking distance of Safeco Field--Executive Hotel Pacific is closest of the three, well situated next to our new public library building. Hotel Max and Hotel Andra are six and seven blocks farther north, closer to Nordstrom, Macy's, etc.

The Edgewater is on the waterfront and, of the four you list, farthest from Safeco Field. A Fodorite named **kim** is likely to tell you to stay there. I advise the others in this order: Andra, Executive, Max.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM

I should have mentioned that the hotel nearest Safeco Field is Silver Cloud--a property in a well-regarded local chain of motels.

The next closest is the Best Western in Pioneer Square, which was converted from a flop house and which I do not recommend unless you want to get involved in the kind of nightlife the area offers.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:56 AM

The Edgewater gets such mixed reviews I have never felt comfortable suggesting it.

The Andra is highly regarded, but I've never stepped inside.

For location, I like the Max---I work a block away. We like their restaurant (Red Fin) for breakfast, lunch, and happy hour.

These two (Max and Andra) are uphill from Pike Place market, and close to the Monorail station at Westlake. Also close to the Belltown restaurants.

I think it is better to take a free 1st Avenue bus to Safeco than to stay in a hotel near there---it's south of downtown and sort of out of things.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thank you, both of you. This is exactly what I wanted to know.

I may be waiting a bit longer until I know my exact flights, but this has helped immensely.

I do believe, enzian that we will be staying downtown- just for the reasons you mention, but I do appreciate the Safeco area information too.

This is something for Fall that I'm really looking forward to. Now if only the Sox are in the mix to the hilt then, as they were last year.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM

JJ5--I agree with HTTY and enzian. I think you would be happiest being in the more central location. I have heard that people have gotten the Westin for good rates on Priceline so that might be an option. When we lived in the Seattle area we stayed at the Westin many times for large group events and it works well. Nice hotel with a fantastic location. We have also stayed at the Mayflower Park several times which is only about a block away and is quite nice and not expensive either. So just a couple other options to look into if you are interested
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, mms. I will keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure I saw the Mayflower Park on a hotwire option too.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM

I imagine its too pricey now, but when we went to Seattle in '04 to see the other Sox, we stayed at the Hotel Alexis. As I recall, it was almost exactly midway between Safeco and Pike Place, so it was pretty easy walking distance to both.

Although after the game, it was absolutely pouring rain, and we walked back to the hotel, getting drenched.

Its a beautiful ballpark, you are really going to enjoy it.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, china_cat.

That happened to us in NYC coming out of a stage play. The vendors made a fortune selling umbrellas too, but we got soaked.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like either Hotel Max or Hotel Andra. Both are classic old brick hotels that have been remodeled recently. I believe Hotel Max is quite a bit more affordable though. Both are good locations.

Edgewater is too far out of the way to be convenient for walking around downtown Seattle. Don't know the last one on your list.

Suze (in Seattle)
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM

I stayed in the Comfort Suites near the Space Needle. It worked very well and walked every where except the game, but that was due to picking up a friend outside of Seattle.

Enjoy Safeco as it is by far the best dome that I have been to and 1 of my top 3 stadiums. Have you been to Miller Park in Milwaukee? Take it, add in better food, great skyline views and better seating and you have Safeco. And I really enjoyed Miller Park last year so I am not knocking it at all...There was a great brewery across the street that I do not know the name of if you are interested. Seattle is a great city and I can't wait to go back
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Gee, thanks tchoiniere. I'm glad you like our city.

HTTY
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Yes, tchoiniere- I have been to Miller Park. Actually once right under the roof. So far my favorite park has been Camden Yards in Birdland- Baltimore. I been to more than 1/2 and there are some, like Minneapolis Twins' AND St. Louis' too that I have to go for the new park, only saw the old ones.

I want to see Pittsburgh's especially. I also may make it to Cinncinati's this year.

Actually Seattle's was way, way up there on my "to do" list- and I'm so glad that this is mid-week September this year and fits just when I'm ready to leave both school/work and MI behind. If Oakland would have been before the Seattle run in September instead of in August- I would have done Oakland, as well.

But it's probably better to spend 4 or 5 days in one place anyway. I like to get the feel for the place and do more than baseball and this time I'm absolutely sure we will.

Seattle weather and much else of the outdoors is much, much more our speed anyway than many other baseball cities.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:26 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

And thanks, suze- I like descriptions.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You're welcome. Anything else, just ask. I live here, and if I don't know the answer would be happy to make a telephone call(s) for you.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

When the time gets closer I'm sure I'll ask you questions and use your knowledge as a valuable resource. Thank YOU.