Road Trip to ND, SD, Nebraska, and Iowas

Old Jun 25th, 2017, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip to ND, SD, Nebraska, and Iowas

Any thoughts on a roadtrip through ND, SD, Nebraska and Iowa--we have 10 days. Just wanting to hit these states in my quest to visit all 50 states. We will be going late July-early August. Flying into Omaha.
Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 05:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Just so you know - The Omaha airport (Eppley Field) is on the Iowa side of the river in Council Bluffs.
From the airport go east on I-80 to get on I-29 north.
If you want to spend a night in Iowa, stay in Sioux City.
Continue north on I-29 to Fargo ND. If you haven't already been in Minnesota, you can hop over the Red River to Moorhead.
Head west on I-94 to Bismarck/Mandan.
Brush up on your Lewis and Clark history when visiting Mandan.
Continue west on I-94 to Fryburg ND and visit the south unit of Theodore Roosevelt NP.
The route south back into SD is US 85 through Bowman to Spearfish SD. If you have never seen it, hop over to NE Wyoming to see Devil's Tower. Of Course see Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands. On the way south to Nebraska, stop to see Wind Cave NP. off US 385.
Take US 385 all he way south to Sidney NE.
Spend at least 1 night in North Platte NE before heading back to Lincoln and Omaha on I-80.
You should have no problem completing this loop in 7 or 8 days.
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 08:58 AM

The Omaha airport is technically in a town called Carter Lake, Iowa but it is not on the Iowa side of the river nor is it in Council Bluffs; the river there changed course years ago, thus the possible confusion. The airport can be easily reached driving north east from downtown Omaha, no bridges or rivers to cross. (I grew up in Omaha).

To add to Tom's suggested itinerary, if you find yourself near Crawford in NW Nebraska, try to stop at Fort Robinson State Park--beautiful scenery, a lot of history dating back to the Native Americans and through WWII. Our faves: Jeep rides through the scenic buttes, the summer playhouse series, chuckwagon dinners and breakfasts, the and the museums. The in-park lodging is very unique and fun.

Have a great time and safe travels!