Road Trip through the Florida Keys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are talking about hitting the Keys for our honeymoon. What are some of the best things to do, places to see, and places to eat in the Keys? Are certain keys better for different things? I've been looking but I feel a little overwhelmed!
Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:55 PM

the road part pretty simple, there is only one. Duval St in Key West is the center of things. look things over on gmaps and use street walk its pretty straight forward. When you get to Cuba you went to far.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:25 PM
MJT

The Keys are 120 miles long so it depends on what you are interested in doing. There's fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, bar hopping, boating and more. Let us know what you're interested in doing and maybe some of us can help you decide.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:29 PM

I love Fodor's forum, but for the Keys & Key West, check out TripAdvisor - it is a very active forum.

Someone on Fodor's gave me this advice several years ago and I was very appreciative.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Snorkeling at Pennekamp State Park -
http://www.pennekamppark.com/

Getting out on the water in a boat with Capt. Anne Baxter -
http://easyadventures.net/eco-tours/

She's at the marina at the Bass Pro shops.
Stop there and wander around.
Seriously. An amazing store -
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=94&storeID=21

At least one night, sit on the outside balcony at Zane Grey's, watch the sunset, enjoy a drink and dinner (entrance from 2nd floor of the Bass Pro store)
http://restaurants.basspro.com/ZaneG.../OurStory.aspx
One of my favorite sunset locations anywhere

Stop and feed the tarpons at Robbie's -
http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

Enjoy the beach at Bahia Honda -
http://bahiahondapark.com/
The keys are made of coral and don't have great beaches. This is a great beach.

Head on down to Key West.
See other KW suggestions.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! I think we would like to either fly in to Key West and go north to Miami or vice versa. We aren't really fishermen (woman), but are up for about anything else. We want to see cool stuff, eat at local type places, find cool bars to hang out in, relax and stay in comfortable, friendly places. Any positive info is great, then we can weed through and figure out what will work best for our schedule
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 06:40 AM

keep in mind the advice you get on trip advisor is often by destination commercial interests so frequently very skewed.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 06:43 AM

My additions are to have lunch or cocktails at the Lorelei in Islamorada. Lorelei is an historic tiki bar with good casual food and a great waterside setting.

Consider spending a night at the Hampton Inn Islamorada. This is not your ordinary Hampton. Beautiful private beach, fine pool and waterside tiki bar.

Lazy Days in Islamorada is an excellent restaurant. Ocean view deck or beach side, toes in the sand tables. Must have a reservation.

You can rent kayaks at Robbie's mentioned above. You can rent paddle boards at several places in Islamorada. If it's a beautiful and calm day, is a very short paddle over to historic Indian Key state park from Robbies.

Walk the pedestrian 7 Mile bridge out to Pigeon Key from Marathon. It's a couple of miles. Spectacular view of the flats around Pigeon. You will see shark, tarpon, baracuda and rays.

The 7 Mile Cafe just 1/4 mile East of the bridge is an historic Keys restaurant.

Mangrove Mamas at MM 22 is in a stand of mangroves for great ambience outdoor dining.

One strong comment is that the 100 miles from Key Largo to Key West has more to see and do than Key West. Don't spend all your time in tee shirt shops on Duval Street and take only one day to make the drive.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

These are all great pieces of info and advice! I appreciate it so much! We really love seeing local places that have that have personality
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 08:04 AM

There are lots of Key West posts on here as well as well as trip reports I am sure - take a look & then perhaps you may have some more questions...
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 08:10 AM

1. Good snorkeling at both Bahia Honda State Park and John Pennecamp State Park. They offer snorkel tours which you can book online at their websites.

2. Sombrero Beach was quiet and relaxing.

3. Hemingway House in Key West is fascinating even if you don't like Hemingway (like me!) If you like cats, it's a "must see" for the polydactyl cats.

4. I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but Robbies made me want to scratch my eyes out. Too many people and too much junk.

5. I'd think twice about renting a convertible (if you are) for the drive along the Keys. It's really expensive and except for a few places, the view of the water is blocked by buildings or overgrowth. You won't see much, if anything, more (except the sky) by renting a convertible rather than a sedan.

6. Despite what Katzgar states, I have found the information on Trip Advisor to come from knowledgeable sources who do NOT have any sort of commercial interest. It's mostly people who just want to help other people with their travel plans.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM

I am in agreement w/Katzgar, the info you get on TA is questionable @ best. That is why many of us use Fodor's in the first place (despite the efforts of many commercial enterprises to intervene here as well). You WILL get honest answers on here - good, bad or indifferent. I topped a couple of Keys trip reports I thought may be helpful as well...
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM

As for driving down to Key West or up to Miami, I'd advise the former. I personally prefer flying both ways, but if you'd rather just choose one, by all means drive down and fly out of Key West.

Under ideal circumstances, the drive between Key West and Miami is about 4 hours. That's if you obey the non-passing lanes, and slow down for the part of the highway protecting key deer. But if you should happen upon an accident, you might be stuck for hours with little or no movement. So rather than take a chance on being late for a flight out of Miami, I'd encourage you to fly out of Key West. What ever you decide, have a great trip. I LOVE Key West, and have spent between 4 and 6 weeks a year there for 20 years.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:08 PM

And about tripadvisor. Years ago, when it was relatively young, I was a DE on the Key West board when we were called local experts. Although I'm not particularly active there anymore, I do read most of the posts and check there frequently.

Though I've heard of - and seen - reviews of accommodations and restaurants that were absolutely preposterous, the forum itself remains pretty sensible. Back in the olden days, a B&B in Key West was named the best B&B in the WORLD on trip advisor. That was a place that wasn't considered in the top tier of places to stay by locals or frequent visitors. It had clearly been "fixed" by employees and friends. I've heard the reverse can be true, too, with disgruntled ex-employees participating. In general, I'd take the reviews with a grain of salt...I think one of the top "restaurants" there now is a food cart.

As for the current DEs, I've met several and don't really think any have an interest - either financial or otherwise - in touting one place over another.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 04:13 PM

I like to stop at the Rain Barrel on Islamorada to look around. It is an artists "village" and I have bought a few things there in the past.

On Key West, we enjoyed the tour of Truman's Little White House and the Mel Fisher museum.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 09:48 AM
KVR

We went to Key West in 2010 for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. Here is the link to our trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...h-pic-link.cfm

The picture link has changed to:

http://kvrlvnphotogallery.shutterfly.com/pictures/4657

We found Key West to not be a great beach destination, but more for eating and sightseeing. We found some really great restaurants and things to see and do. I won't repeat it here as our report is very detailed.

With regards to Trip Advisor, I use that site on a regular basis for trip planning as well as posting in their fourms and our trip reports. The key to TA is knowing how to use it. Yes, there are several entities that use TA for their own personal agenda, but blatently catagorizing it like that is inaccuarte. If used correctly, it's really a great tool for trip planning. Any specific recommendations that you get for hotels, restaurants, activites, etc. just research on other sites also before making a final decision. There is tons of information out there if willing to take the time to look for it. I have found the information in the TA forums to be more accuarte and helpful than in the review sections. People with hidden agendas, don't seem to spend as much time posting in the forums than leaving one-hit wonder reviews.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Bookmarking
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:05 AM

Key West is definitely a must visit place! The shops, bars and restaurants, and historical sites are second to none! The Hemingway Home is beautiful, the gardens are amazing. And Mallory Square at sunset has awesome sideshow performers every night! The only thing about Key West is the long trip to get down there. When I go, I take the Ferry Boat from Ft Myers Beach. It cuts the time in half and makes it much more enjoyable to get there then the long cramped car drive, or the hassle of the airport. Have a good trip!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Bookmarking. We've only been to Key West, but we really enjoyed it and are looking to go back and see other parts of the Keys.

We enjoyed Hemingway House and the Mel Fisher Museum, also the little trolley that takes you on the tour around town. We also did a snorkeling trip that we enjoyed. Lots of good restaurants as well. The Marquesa is a really nice place to stay if you want a bit of a splurge. We ended up being there during Lobsterfest which was great.