Search

Road trip through Kentucky, Southwest Virginia, Tennessee

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip through Kentucky, Southwest Virginia, Tennessee

I plan to make a road trip through Kentucky
and Tennessee.(WE are a middle-aged couple from mid-Illinois interested in a budget-minded but scenic, road trip.) After doing some searching; I am thinking about driving east of Lexington, Ky to Natural Bridge state park on to Jenney Wiley state park and to Pikeville,Ky and to Breaks Interstate park. And from there through southwest Virginia to Kingsport, TN and re-tracing the Daniel Boone Wilderness trail via Highway 58 west to Cumberland Gap, Ky and north to London,Ky.(Possibly late June-early July)
Please give your ideas and suggestions. The idea of driving to the Great Smoky Mountains has entered my mind. But I am interested in a non-commercial, laid-back trip with my wife. I love history and easy, hiking trails.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:41 PM

Your plans sound pretty good for a more non-commerial trip. Gatlinburg area of Smokies is defintely commercial. You might consider going to Red River Gorge while at Natural Brige and staying at Pine Mtn State Park while in Cumberland Gap area.The only downside of your trip it is usually hot & humid that time of year in KY & TN.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 01:30 PM

If you go to London, you should stop at Cumberland Falls State Park and then try to hit Berea at dinner time for a meal at Boone Tavern. It is run by the hotelier (?) students, and the food is quite good. Enjoy the spoon bread. Berea is also home to the Churchill Weavers and lovely shops of custom made furniture and crafts.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:27 PM

I would omit the Smokey Mountain area mainly due to traffic and congestion.
We were there last May--trafffic thru Pigeon Forge was bumper to bumper and into Gatlinburg just to GET TO the route thru the mountains.
You might go a little out of your way when near Kingsport to Abingdon VA.
Very historical, especially the Barter Theater that has been restored and nice "walking " town.
Hope you have a enjoyable trip

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:57 PM

Don't know if Pipestem State Park (W. Va.) is on your route, but check out this web site:

http://www.pipestemresort.com/

We stayed in the lodge at the bottom of the gorge, accessible only by aerial tram during our honeymoon, lo these many years ago.

We also went rafting on the New River. Maybe you'd enjoy that, too. We had a way-cool, low-budget honeymoon.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Try the Benham Inn in Benham, KY ---near Harlan. It is a renovated school that is now a B/B. Supposed to be fun! Don't miss Cumberland Falls.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Syv

You really should jump over to Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky if you have time. Well worth it!
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 09:30 AM

If you do make it to London, you should schedule a stop at the Dairy Dart, an old-fashioned drive-in that serves wonderful hot dogs and milkshakes. It was even noted in a book about eating where the locals eat. Boone Tavern is also a find in Berea. If you consider catching Cumberland Falls, check your calendar, because it is one of the few places in the world that has the moonbow during the full moon, a terrific sight on a clear lodge. I believe there is also a resort at Cumberland Falls, but I have not stayed there. Enjoy your time in the mountains!
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Syv

Another vote for Mammoth Caves.